By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some of the most overrated games this gen?

There's the top 50, your most underrated, favorite games of this gen, etc, what about the most overrated this gen.  Add atleast one game per system that you've played on, unless you haven't played much of anything on that system, then skip it.  Also only name a game if you've played it atleast a fair amount, so atleast a few hours or more.  List Metacritic scores if you want.

I won't be adding the Call of Duty series because I think most people agree that it's overrated. 

Playstation 3

Tomb Raider (86)
Fallout 3 (92)
Ni No Kuni (85)
God of War 3 (92)
Assassin's Creed series (low 80s to 90s.)
Mass Effect (Xbox360 91)

Xbox 360

Halo 3 (94)
Halo 4 (87)

Wii

New Super Mario Bros Wii (87)

DS

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl(85)
New Super Mario Bros (88)
Nintendogs (83)
Dragon Quest 9 (87)

PSP

Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7 (83)

Around the Network

I agree with all the DS & Wii stuff except DQIX that I haven't played and with Crisis Core too.
Some of mine are GTA IV, Zelda Skyward Sword, Metal Gear 4, Journey. And if I can say it, Alice Madness Returns is one of the most/if not the most underrated game of the gen.

None, it is only a personal opinion to you whether they're over rated or not. While most people prob enjoyed that game and why they have a high score in the first place you dislike it and think it should be scored lower. My opinion is don't put so much merit on other people's opinions and just worry about your own. If you don't like a game that was rated well then ok, but it doesn't mean it was over-rated. It just means you didn't like it.

TheEspionage said:
None, it is only a personal opinion to you whether they're over rated or not. While most people prob enjoyed that game and why they have a high score in the first place you dislike it and think it should be scored lower. My opinion is don't put so much merit on other people's opinions and just worry about your own. If you don't like a game that was rated well then ok, but it doesn't mean it was over-rated. It just means you didn't like it.

Good.  You have an opinion, just like everyone else.  Why not post your opinion instead of stating the obvious.

kupomogli said:
TheEspionage said:

Good.  You have an opinion, just like everyone else.  Why not post your opinion instead of stating the obvious.

I did.  I said None. If you asked what games I don't like that are rated well I would've answered differently.  God of War, Fable, Fallout 3, and Bioshock are a few that I didn't like that was rated well.

Around the Network

GTA IV

1) Mass Effect 3 (nothing to do with the ending)
2) Dragon Age 2 ( a good game honestly if it was a 10 hour game, but the recycling, and calling it something different is unacceptable, and unbearable after seeing the same dungeon someone elses house for the 100th time)
3) Bioshock Infinite-A good game, But an above average shooter with Great Art Design, that's tonally inconsistent. Makes it a good, above average game. But it's on this list since it's rated so high

4) MGS4-Nanomachines! This is a good game for what there is... except it's horrid pacing and imo, crappy plot twists and basically going in every direction I didn't want the narrative to go into, and ruining meryl's character arc making her marry captain indigestion, turning raiden into an annoying but decent character into an invincible ninja... and nanomachines. Not a bad game, but since it was rated so high, it's on this list.

Ofcourse stating the obvious that you guys fought over... it's my opinion

I like the underrated thread because it's a nice way to recommend games that didn't receive the commercial or critical success they deserved, negative threads like this of people listing mostly liked/loved games they feel don't deserve their acclaimed or fandom seems to benefit nobody in my opinion.

Anyway, games that rated very well (86%+) that I would rate 85% or lower:

Halo 3 & 4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1 & 3, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, MGS4, Heavy Rain, GTA IV, Bayonetta (actually any well received Japanese game since I just don't like them)... There's a lot but I can't be bothered to list any more.

Skyward Sword. So many publications gave it perfect or close-to-perfect scores, and it was an enormous disappointment. It had so many problems, and they treated it like it was the freaking second coming of Zelda.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

The Last of Us.