By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Report Says Critics Favored Wii U’s Launch Line-Up More Than PS4 Launch Titles

People are buying a PS4 because they know it'll be home for their future third party games (dozens and dozens of them every year) and if you are a multi-plat gamer, the lineup isn't really bad. Assassin's Creed 4, Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts, FIFA, NBA 2K are a big deal to a lot of people and I'm guessing there's a fair amount of people who knew they were getting a PS4 this fall that skipped the PS3/360 versions of those games.

Around the Network

Do anyone still care about reviews ? Gosh.....

If we go through reviews... we wouldn´t be playing anything by now.

Ps4 launch was a success, no doubt, no question, I just wonder what are those people playing right now. Personally, I think its launch line-up is not good, there´s nothing that really interest me, but that just me.

all reviews are nowadays is a springboard for site hits.

Metallicube said:

PS4's launch lineup makes the Wii U's look good, and that's hard to do. I'm baffled as to how well PS4 has sold out to gate when I look at the mediocrity found throughout its launch lineup. Seriously, what are the games that people are finding such interest in and running out to spend $450+ on, because I don't see them? I guess Killzone looks decent, but that game is the definition of derivative...

Sony fans are like apple fans. They love to show their loyalty early no matter the cost. Is there anything wrong with that? No as it providdes confidence to developers so they end up getting 3rd party support.

Also the PS4 is like way cheaper than PS3 so more people can afford it day 1.

Finally you got some people (even on VGChartz) who buy 7 of them for god knows what reason apart from trying to make a quick buck on eBay before Christmas.

Nintendo gamers on the other hand wait forever till something they like shows up and in turn this hurts the console. Not to mention when a good 3rd party game comes they don't seem to support it with their wallet. Hell Zombie U is a pretty decent game but because it got a 77 suddenly its considered crap by the internet and people do't support it.

Cobretti2 said:
Metallicube said:

PS4's launch lineup makes the Wii U's look good, and that's hard to do. I'm baffled as to how well PS4 has sold out to gate when I look at the mediocrity found throughout its launch lineup. Seriously, what are the games that people are finding such interest in and running out to spend $450+ on, because I don't see them? I guess Killzone looks decent, but that game is the definition of derivative...

Sony fans are like apple fans. They love to show their loyalty early no matter the cost. Is there anything wrong with that? No as it providdes confidence to developers so they end up getting 3rd party support.

Also the PS4 is like way cheaper than PS3 so more people can afford it day 1.

Finally you got some people (even on VGChartz) who buy 7 of them for god knows what reason apart from trying to make a quick buck on eBay before Christmas.

Nintendo gamers on the other hand wait forever till something they like shows up and in turn this hurts the console. Not to mention when a good 3rd party game comes they don't seem to support it with their wallet. Hell Zombie U is a pretty decent game but because it got a 77 suddenly its considered crap by the internet and people do't support it.

exactly, people can talk smack all they want about ps3/ps4 fanboys, but the fact theyre going out there and buying these consoles in droves is the very reason why it will do well, if nintendo fans had done the same the wiiu most likely wouldnt be in the position it currently is.

Around the Network

The first couple of million users at least won't be bothered by launch software not being particularly brilliant. Across the last few decades, only a handful of launch games have been excellent games. Strong launches are based on hype and the appetite for new hardware, not new software, and that's what helped to drive Wii U and 3DS despite both consoles having their fair share of issues at launch.

PS4 has the benefit of months of positive PR and news coverage, in addition to launching at the tail-end of a very, very long console cycle, after the first new console to market has failed to achieve much market traction, and with Microsoft having months of mixed and negative press globally. It's essentially been a perfect storm of public relations and press for Sony, with their rivals struggling to communicate their hardware and software effectively, while Sony have played their own game near perfectly. For the core consumers that buy at launch, all that press and bluster matters immensely. This isn't to underplay PS4; Sony seem to have corrected every major mistake they made launching PS3 and that deserves plaudits. But more impressive to me is how Sony have captured so much positive attention and kept it focused on PS4, which has in turn been helped by the constant negativity around Wii U and the stumbles Microsoft have made pre-launch.

Sony will have strong sales until the end of this year, though I'm not sure how things will play out after Christmas. I'm not expecting any kind of Wii U style drop off, but that 5 million target could be a tad too high. What's the software situation like post-Christmas? I know Destiny is coming across PS and Xbox, and Titanfall is coming to Xbox. Do Sony have high profile exclusives coming? I'm not sure this mountain of goodwill and hype can push PS4 to six strong months of sales, though less surprising things have happened.

ps3-sales! said:
ZombiU better game than Killzone shadow fall confirmedz?

It's alright. We might not have had better games than the Wii U launch but... The ps4 is already at 1 mil units. The wii u sits at 1.5.

24 hours vs 1.5 years. Think about that.

The Wii U just turned 1 today. ;)

Why is the PS4 and the PS4 games selling so well then? Reviews do or do not matter?