By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Even If Nintendo Quits Consoles, They Will Not Go "Third Party"

zippy said:

Wii U has some great exclusives and even though people call out poor 3rd party support, it has actually had a majority of multiplats the PS360 have had this year. I know there are many faults with the Wii U, but im still baffled by how badly it actually has done, thankfully the last month or so has seen an improvement in sales. I still expect it to reach GameCube type sales. I hate the way people write it off a a complete failure, rather than give Nintendo time to try and rectify the situation, Sony turned the PS3 around no reason why Nintendo cant boost Wii Us chances.

You and me both. I really thought the likes of Lego City and Zelda would have started it with a solid boost this year. Here's hoping for Mario 3D World.

Doesn't bode well in general though as Vita also has some stunning stuff on it and that's also failing to sell. I guess the market is going through some changes right now. We'll see, I hope it picks up for both.

Nintendo aren't out until Nintendo are out though, the writing was apparently on the wall for the 3DS in summer 2011. They did a spectacular job of pulling that around.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
zippy said:
gmcmen said:
zippy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
zippy said:
Nintendo wont quit home consoles, they can sell as little as 20 million units and still move enough first party software to make profits. Look at NSMBU, over 2 million sold on a 4 million install base, thats insane!! As i always say, there is more to gaming than just Microsoft and Sony. It seems to me that many people want to play Nintendo games, but a majority are too stubborn and pig headed to buy the hardware, hence the reason many cry out for them to go third party.

well it does make sense that people want to play most of their favourite games on 1 systems doesnt it?

xbox and ps offer a wider range compared to the wii U.

instead of wasting time marketing the wii U and making games for a system with a 4m install base, they could be making games for PS3/xbox's ~160m installbase (maybe lower taking into account failed consoles)

If i want to play Uncharted i simply buy a Sony console, i dont bitch and moan, wishing they would go 3rd party so i could play that franchise. Nintendo will always make bigger profits from their own software being on their hardware, they get 100% of the profits with no middle man taking their cut. There is a reason why Nintendo made more money than Sony during the Gamecube era, a console with a small user base still generated good profits for Nintendo.

you get uncharted and all the third party support there is, not to mention the most powerful console of last gen with a blue ray player, when you buy the wiiu all you get is nintendo games, and looking at the sales chart its just not enough, its even tracking behind the dreamcast right now.

Wii U has some great exclusives and even though people call out poor 3rd party support, it has actually had a majority of multiplats the PS360 have had this year. I know there are many faults with the Wii U, but im still baffled by how badly it actually has done, thankfully the last month or so has seen an improvement in sales. I still expect it to reach GameCube type sales. I hate the way people write it off a a complete failure, rather than give Nintendo time to try and rectify the situation, Sony turned the PS3 around no reason why Nintendo cant boost Wii Us chances.

LOL majority? No no it didnt not even close. GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, all MIA and those are jsut the bigs ones of the top of my head. And FYI pretty sure Ninty made alot more money off of GBA than they did GC, thats where there money came in hmmmm kinda like now, deja vu. THe idea that GC made more money for Ninty than PS2 did for SOny is INSANE especially since they JUST stopped making the damn things less than a year ago. Those other markets that Ninty doesnt touch alone ensures that.

Mr Khan said:

Revisionist history at its finest. NSMBU's sales went as they did because it was oversaturated with 3 NSMB titles in as many years. Wii sales went back up for a time after NSMBWii released. When used right, 2D Mario is the most consistent system selling franchise that exists.

Well then wouldnt "used right" essentially be "put on the backburner for X Years"?

Mr Khan said:

2D Mario is basically the franchise that all modern consoles owe their existence to, and it was asleep on home consoles for 18 years. There's clearly demand there that was well pent-up (and then exhausted as Nintendo ran it again on 3DS and Wii U, without offering significant differentiation in the experience in either case). AC does a good enough job of differentiation, while Madden and FIFA are a different beast altogether (sports fans get them because of the annual roster changes, and that's about it). CoD has the multiplayer draw, making it a social phenomenon first and foremost.

To deny that SMB has console moving potential is so far removed from reality that i almost want to accuse you of arguing in bad faith.

I dont really think you can say AC did a good job at differentiation when we had AC2, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations released one after another. Granted they added little things to each title, but what was added wasnt exactly worthwhile.

I think the novelty of 2D Mario is wearing off in all honesty. As you said, there was pent up demand for a 2D Mario when it released on DS and Wii and we saw reaaaaaaaaally strong sales but since then on 3DS things simply havent been as strong (despite the game selling really well). After that, Wii U has shown us that the system selling potential of 2D Mario is all but in the ground. There isnt enough originality coming out of the series and they pushed out too much of the same, too quickly.

They need to put it away for a few Years and bring out Super Mario Bros 4 or whatever theyll call it on the next platform.

zippy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
zippy said:
Nintendo wont quit home consoles, they can sell as little as 20 million units and still move enough first party software to make profits. Look at NSMBU, over 2 million sold on a 4 million install base, thats insane!! As i always say, there is more to gaming than just Microsoft and Sony. It seems to me that many people want to play Nintendo games, but a majority are too stubborn and pig headed to buy the hardware, hence the reason many cry out for them to go third party.

well it does make sense that people want to play most of their favourite games on 1 systems doesnt it?

instead of wasting time marketing the wii U and making games for a system with a 4m install base, they could be making games for PS3/xbox's ~160m installbase (maybe lower taking into account failed consoles)

If i want to play Uncharted i simply buy a Sony console, i dont bitch and moan, wishing they would go 3rd party so i could play that franchise. Nintendo will always make bigger profits from their own software being on their hardware, they get 100% of the profits with no middle man taking their cut. There is a reason why Nintendo made more money than Sony during the Gamecube era, a console with a small user base still generated good profits for Nintendo.

sometimes volume sales at a smaller margin is better than few sales at 100% margin.

are you really telling me that its more profitable for them to launch a mario game on the wii U than it is on PS360?

and who said gamecube made more money than ps2? maybe you forgot to count all the royalties ps2 was taking in years after the gamecube became an ancient artifact

fps_d0minat0r said:
zippy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
zippy said:

sometimes volume sales at a smaller margin is better than few sales at 100% margin.

are you really telling me that its more profitable for them to launch a mario game on the wii U than it is on PS360?

and who said gamecube made more money than ps2? maybe you forgot to count all the royalties ps2 was taking in years after the gamecube became an ancient artifact

I should have worded it better, i meant during the timeframe Nintendo was making more money than Sony. Obviously PS2 made more in the long haul, it carried on selling for years after GameCubes demise.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
zippy said:
gmcmen said:
zippy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
zippy said:

you get uncharted and all the third party support there is, not to mention the most powerful console of last gen with a blue ray player, when you buy the wiiu all you get is nintendo games, and looking at the sales chart its just not enough, its even tracking behind the dreamcast right now.

LOL majority? No no it didnt not even close. GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, all MIA and those are jsut the bigs ones of the top of my head. And FYI pretty sure Ninty made alot more money off of GBA than they did GC, thats where there money came in hmmmm kinda like now, deja vu. THe idea that GC made more money for Ninty than PS2 did for SOny is INSANE especially since they JUST stopped making the damn things less than a year ago. Those other markets that Ninty doesnt touch alone ensures that.

Yes 3DS is carrying Nintendo, much like GBA was carrying the Cube. Nintendo survived that gen and went on the be successful with the Wii. My point being, if Wii U is a total flop it wont deter Nintendo from trying again. I guess im getting tired of reading "Nintendo is doomed, Wii U will be their last console,going 3rd party "ect. i will take a break from these forums for a bit and get back to enjoying my games :)

zippy said:
oniyide said:
zippy said:
gmcmen said:
zippy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
zippy said:

Yes 3DS is carrying Nintendo, much like GBA was carrying the Cube. Nintendo survived that gen and went on the be successful with the Wii. My point being, if Wii U is a total flop it wont deter Nintendo from trying again. I guess im getting tired of reading "Nintendo is doomed, Wii U will be their last console,going 3rd party "ect. i will take a break from these forums for a bit and get back to enjoying my games :)

no that wasnt your point, you didnt even mention the GBA intiailly "there is a reason why Nintendo made more money that Sony during the GC era" its cause it was GBA. Yeah your tired i get that, you wanna defend your fav thats cool, but doing it with false info isnt helping your case.

RolStoppable said:

They don't need to put it away, they need to treat it like their flagship game instead of the disrespect it's been getting. There were six years between the two handheld games, but NSMB2 is like a sequel that was released only one year later. Probably because it was slapped together in a year or less, after Nintendo realized that something is going horribly wrong with the 3DS.

As for NSMBU, it's more like the game has shown us how god awful the Wii U is (although NSMBU suffers from Nintendo's disrespect too). It will be hard for any game or combination of games to get that brick moving off the shelves. The question then becomes if all Nintendo IPs have lost their charme or if it's the system that is holding everything back. At the end of the sixth generation the former was the general consensus, but then came the Wii and told a different story. And really, what is the Wii U, other than GameCube 2.0 with Wii branding and some Wii games slapped onto it?

Although I kinda agree with your final point in the sense that an actual flagship SMB would be wasted on the Wii U. Better make it a launch game for N7. However, the 3DS isn't a lost cause in the long term, so a proper sequel that drops the prefix "New" would make sense. The way Nintendo has treated the IP, the "New" conveys a negative image now. So best to get rid of it.

Considering you know a whole lot more about the series than I do, how would you improve it? Im trying to think, but I keep coming to the conclusion that there isnt really much you can do with a 2D Platformer without changing the core gameplay and its that core gameplay that made Mario so popular in the first place. With 3D Mario its easy enough to change things around, but with 2D Mario theres only so much you can change.

On the other point, I think the 3DS proves that Nintendo IP is still strong and in some cases as strong as its ever been. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are great examples and Super Mario 3D Land is a great example of how Nintendo can still be creative with stuff and still be a success. The Wii U may be a lost cause at this point, but Nintendo IP should still be strong enough to push the system over 20 Million.

One things for sure though, Nintendo need a kick in the butt.

Carl2291 said:
RolStoppable said:

They don't need to put it away, they need to treat it like their flagship game instead of the disrespect it's been getting. There were six years between the two handheld games, but NSMB2 is like a sequel that was released only one year later. Probably because it was slapped together in a year or less, after Nintendo realized that something is going horribly wrong with the 3DS.

As for NSMBU, it's more like the game has shown us how god awful the Wii U is (although NSMBU suffers from Nintendo's disrespect too). It will be hard for any game or combination of games to get that brick moving off the shelves. The question then becomes if all Nintendo IPs have lost their charme or if it's the system that is holding everything back. At the end of the sixth generation the former was the general consensus, but then came the Wii and told a different story. And really, what is the Wii U, other than GameCube 2.0 with Wii branding and some Wii games slapped onto it?

Although I kinda agree with your final point in the sense that an actual flagship SMB would be wasted on the Wii U. Better make it a launch game for N7. However, the 3DS isn't a lost cause in the long term, so a proper sequel that drops the prefix "New" would make sense. The way Nintendo has treated the IP, the "New" conveys a negative image now. So best to get rid of it.

Considering you know a whole lot more about the series than I do, how would you improve it? Im trying to think, but I keep coming to the conclusion that there isnt really much you can do with a 2D Platformer without changing the core gameplay and its that core gameplay that made Mario so popular in the first place. With 3D Mario its easy enough to change things around, but with 2D Mario theres only so much you can change.

On the other point, I think the 3DS proves that Nintendo IP is still strong and in some cases as strong as its ever been. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are great examples and Super Mario 3D Land is a great example of how Nintendo can still be creative with stuff and still be a success. The Wii U may be a lost cause at this point, but Nintendo IP should still be strong enough to push the system over 20 Million.

One things for sure though, Nintendo need a kick in the butt.

they can change the art style for a start

Why would Nintendo stop making consoles? Not only did they destroy the competition last generation in both home console AND handheld, but they are also in the lead in both categories for this generation as well... You people are as thick as a PS4 brick...