By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Even If Nintendo Quits Consoles, They Will Not Go "Third Party"

KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

Gotta stop you there. It did not "sell on Wii because it was on Wii", no, no, no. Games like Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii *sold* Wiis.

Don't tell me you honestly believe those sales were all system selling sales, for one thing NSMBW is easily the most budled SMB game since original SMB.  The only thing stopping it getting bundled more were Mario Kart, Wii Fit and Sports Resort bundles which were the only bundles you'd ever find at retail for years.  For another it was people who owned a Wii with a lack of third party games needing something to play, those 10m it sold in first 10 weeks were not new Wii owners.

NSMBU shows how much of a system seller the series really is, 2.2m in a year, counting people who didn't neccarily buy a WiiU for 2D Mario.

Wii system sellers were motion controls and Wii Fit.

Revisionist history at its finest. NSMBU's sales went as they did because it was oversaturated with 3 NSMB titles in as many years. Wii sales went back up for a time after NSMBWii released. When used right, 2D Mario is the most consistent system selling franchise that exists.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
gmcmen said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

Gotta stop you there. It did not "sell on Wii because it was on Wii", no, no, no. Games like Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii *sold* Wiis.

Don't tell me you honestly believe those sales were all system selling sales, for one thing NSMBW is easily the most budled SMB game since original SMB.  The only thing stopping it getting bundled more were Mario Kart, Wii Fit and Sports Resort bundles which were the only bundles you'd ever find at retail for years.  For another it was people who owned a Wii with a lack of third party games needing something to play, those 10m it sold in first 10 weeks were not new Wii owners.

NSMBU shows how much of a system seller the series really is, 2.2m in a year, counting people who didn't neccarily buy a WiiU for 2D Mario.

sadly this is the truth that many don't want to believe. you have the mario and luigi bundle which are being avertized as 2 games from ninatendo and a zelda wind waker bundle, and the wiiu hasn't managed one month over 100k in the npd chart this whole year. people expect mario 3d to boost sales when NSMW on wii sold 4x more then mario galaxy 2.

Your frame of reference is very confusing. Wind Waker is a remake, and those never do great as system sellers. 3D World is coming off the back of 3D Land, which remains an underestimated killer app for 3DS. NSMBU, as i said elsewhere, struggled because Nintendo oversaturated it, and 3D World is looking the most ambitious since the original Galaxy.

Soundwave said:
kupomogli said:
Nintendo won't quit, but if they did, they would go third party. If they didn't go third party they would sell their properties off or lease their properties on a per game basis. Their properties are big names and would make them a lot of money, so Nintendo wouldn't just let those properties die without gaining anything from them.

/thread.

Japan will be underwater before Nintendo would ever sell any of their IP. 

They would accept a buyout as a whole to Disney and become part of their media empire before that was allowed. 

Either that or they'd find a new sugar daddy in Apple and come back and run Sony/MS into the ground with an Apple TV/Mac Mini type device.

That's not what the thread is saying though.  It's saying if Nintendo "quits" they will not go third party.  If Nintendo was to quit the console business then they without a doubt would go third party or sell their franchises to someone who would have those franchises on another console that isn't Nintendo.  There's too much money to be gained from their properties.  They won't just abandon that.

If Nintendo is sold to Apple, then they'll be on the iOS.  They won't be exclusive to a Nintendo console.  It means they're Apple first party, but that's the same as if Nintendo was bought by Sony and appeared on the Playstation.  They still wouldn't be exclusive to Nintendo consoles whether they're first party or not. 

KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

Revisionist history at its finest. NSMBU's sales went as they did because it was oversaturated with 3 NSMB titles in as many years. Wii sales went back up for a time after NSMBWii released. When used right, 2D Mario is the most consistent system selling franchise that exists.

On three different systems, and 2010 and 2011 didn't even get a new Mario game.  Mario is oversaturated from 3 games on three different systems, to the point a 27m selling game barely passes 2m, yet Cod, Assassin's Creed, Fifa, Madden etc year after year sell millions on the same systems and aren't oversaturated according to sales performance? 

No.  SMB sells to people who

A. Already own a system
B. Already going to buy the system anyway, so bought as a bundle.

Not to say there are no people who buy a system for SMB, but it is a tiny fraction of players as the U version proves.   Popular series, not a system selling one.

2D Mario is basically the franchise that all modern consoles owe their existence to, and it was asleep on home consoles for 18 years. There's clearly demand there that was well pent-up (and then exhausted as Nintendo ran it again on 3DS and Wii U, without offering significant differentiation in the experience in either case). AC does a good enough job of differentiation, while Madden and FIFA are a different beast altogether (sports fans get them because of the annual roster changes, and that's about it). CoD has the multiplayer draw, making it a social phenomenon first and foremost.

To deny that SMB has console moving potential is so far removed from reality that i almost want to accuse you of arguing in bad faith.

Mr Khan said:
gmcmen said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:

sadly this is the truth that many don't want to believe. you have the mario and luigi bundle which are being avertized as 2 games from ninatendo and a zelda wind waker bundle, and the wiiu hasn't managed one month over 100k in the npd chart this whole year. people expect mario 3d to boost sales when NSMW on wii sold 4x more then mario galaxy 2.

Your frame of reference is very confusing. Wind Waker is a remake, and those never do great as system sellers. 3D World is coming off the back of 3D Land, which remains an underestimated killer app for 3DS. NSMBU, as i said elsewhere, struggled because Nintendo oversaturated it, and 3D World is looking the most ambitious since the original Galaxy.

listen i love my wiiu but it sold 51k last month, with a price cut the month before that and a NSMW and SMWL bundle and a zelda windwaker bundle we can hope mario kart and 3d mario save it, but the writing is on the wall, the games that are moving consoles are thirdparty games now and they established there home base on 360/ps3.

Around the Network
gmcmen said:
Mr Khan said:

listen i love my wiiu but it sold 51k last month, with a price cut the month before that and a NSMW and SMWL bundle and a zelda windwaker bundle we can hope mario kart and 3d mario save it, but the writing is on the wall, the games that are moving consoles are thirdparty games now and they established there home base on 360/ps3.

It's entirely too soon to make that assumption.

Never talk about Nintendo siding with Microsoft again !

Never !

gmcmen said:

even though i think zelda and mario are amazing, they are not really the huge system sellers they once were, just look at the sales of zelda skysword on npd and the euro chartz they were pathetic and look at mario galaxy 2 sales they not really impressive cause when you consider its first 10 weeks on the market vs say halo 4,

halo 4: 7.5 million first ten weeks

mario galaxy 2: 3.5 million first ten weeks

The first ten weeks a very important it show how important that franshise is, that they willing to pay full price for it and will buy a console for that game, not just buy it a bargain bin or bundle.

But in the end:

1 Super Mario Galaxy Wii 2007 Platform Nintendo 5.81 3.17 1.20 0.69 10.87
1 Halo 4 X360 2012 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 5.89 1.91 0.04 0.62 8.46

Mario Galaxy still sold more than Halo

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:

gmcmen said:

even though i think zelda and mario are amazing, they are not really the huge system sellers they once were, just look at the sales of zelda skysword on npd and the euro chartz they were pathetic and look at mario galaxy 2 sales they not really impressive cause when you consider its first 10 weeks on the market vs say halo 4,

The first ten weeks a very important it show how important that franshise is, that they willing to pay full price for it and will buy a console for that game, not just buy it a bargain bin or bundle.

But in the end:

Not only that, Nintendo software sells at full MSRP or longer periods than their competitors. For example, Mario Kart was selling at full price on WIi for years.

EricFabian said:

gmcmen said:

But in the end:

hmm  i was comparing the last games that came out and halo 3 which came out in 2007 still outsold mario glaxy 1 and 2 which were both  heavly bundled, but as you can see the last games from each respective franchise, halo 4 smoked it and it was only bundled in limited edition unlike galaxy 2 which got you a great deal on wii, the limited edition cost 350$ for halo 4.