By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - so 8GB of ram..... and a faster Disc drive.... so why a 50GB install per game?

walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
leo-j said:
walsufnir said:
leo-j said:

Why? A 50gb install per game? In fact I recall sony saying 0 loading times ever for games... yet not only did nba 2k13 install itself onto the HDD..... but it has almost the same lengthy loading times that 2k13 did on the ps3..... and the game although looks much better... doesn't look so good that it has to run on both the disc and the HDD for it to sustain 60fps at 1080p on a console 10 times more powerful than ps3 with 8gb of ram....

why is sony forcing 25GB + installs for games???? When games like KZ2, which looks arguebly as good as nba 2k13... with way more going on, runs with mb on the HDD... on the ps3, and even less loading?

Noise, ODDs are set to break over time, loading times... Also keep in mind games don't use all 8 GB.

ODD what?

Optical disc drives.

But counter to that is ODDs seem to last quite a long time, and HDDs also break.

PC's pretty much always install games more or less completely, so PS4, and I assume Xb one, are just following in PC footsteps.

IIRC PS3 had a lot of odd-breaks... There are a lot of them to buy on ebay with a broken odd.

Happened to me. Not sure where the notion comes from where Sony magically decides whether or not their system is reliable or not.

But hey, I guess if a system doesn't outright spell "disc read error" for you, then it doesn't have disc read errors.

Around the Network
ps4tw said:
the2real4mafol said:
What a joke, i buy a disc to save hard drive space but for some reason you have to install everything on PS4. Knack is 37gb for example, i mean what the hell? I though 500gb would have lasted the whole generation. I guess not. I want them to go back to when games didn't have to be installed on consoles.

So you want games to take ages to load? Evolve with the tech, don't be a ludite. 

Whats the point in having 500gb if you can only put ten or so games on it? If Sony knew this would happen they should of put at least 2TB in the console to start with. But, why do we suddenly need to install everything on the disc? PS3 games had relatively small installs (most less than 5gb each) and most games in the end were over 20gb. Uncharted 3 most of been 50gb but had us install only 1gb. Hell, GTA V had those amazing graphics and huge world to load and yet needed only 8gb to install to run well. Surely, blu-ray isn't that slow.  

I guess i'm waiting a little while for PS4 to get a bigger hard drive. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
ps4tw said:
the2real4mafol said:
What a joke, i buy a disc to save hard drive space but for some reason you have to install everything on PS4. Knack is 37gb for example, i mean what the hell? I though 500gb would have lasted the whole generation. I guess not. I want them to go back to when games didn't have to be installed on consoles.

So you want games to take ages to load? Evolve with the tech, don't be a ludite. 

Whats the point in having 500gb if you can only put ten or so games on it? If Sony knew this would happen they should of put at least 2TB in the console to start with. But, why do we suddenly need to install everything on the disc? PS3 games had relatively small installs (most less than 5gb each) and most games in the end were over 20gb. Uncharted 3 most of been 50gb but had us install only 1gb. Hell, GTA V had those amazing graphics and huge world to load and yet needed only 8gb to install to run well. Surely, blu-ray isn't that slow.  

You can buy and install a HDD yourself, it looks like they've made it as easy as changing a laptop HDD if not easier. You can even get a SSD/HDD hybrid to further speed up load times.

As for the other stuff, did you miss the bit about having masses of data this gen? The size of assets will have increased hugely whilst optical drives haven't kept pace. The less devs have to worry about whether a certain object will load in time is more time that can be spent actually making a great game.

the2real4mafol said:
ps4tw said:
the2real4mafol said:

Because it's that easy just throwing in a $80 harddrive....Suddenly that $399 gets blown out the water. 

"But, why do we suddenly need to install everything on the disc? PS3 games had relatively small installs"

Because of technical evolution, duh. PS3 also didn't play most games at 1080p and had way smaller textures. 

" Hell, GTA V had those amazing graphics"

But not next-gen graphics. Lets get real, your complaining that something new is doing something different from something old. Take a guess as to why that is. 

Scoobes said:
the2real4mafol said:
ps4tw said:
the2real4mafol said:

You can buy and install a HDD yourself, it looks like they've made it as easy as changing a laptop HDD if not easier. You can even get a SSD/HDD hybrid to further speed up load times.

As for the other stuff, did you miss the bit about having masses of data this gen? The size of assets will have increased hugely whilst optical drives haven't kept pace. The less devs have to worry about whether a certain object will load in time is more time that can be spent actually making a great game.

What if i don't want to open up my brand new console which cost me £350? That is a lot of money down the drain if something were to go wrong, given that chance. 

I just don't get why we suddenly have to install every file in the game. This is a PC. Or at least i didn't think it was. Take, Call of Duty Ghosts for example. No install on X360, PS3 or Wii U. 49gb install on X1 and Ps4 and 40gb on pc. How the fuck is that possible?! These are only the first games on PS4 and X1 and yet have massive installs already. I dread to think what install sizes games like Uncharted or a future GTA will be. My point is the installs shouldn't be so large given that we start off with 'just' 500gb. I don't care if there is more detail to be honest, the next gen games certainly don't look much better as of yet. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:

What if i don't want to open up my brand new console which cost me £350? That is a lot of money down the drain if something were to go wrong, given that chance. 

You don't use your warranty changing the HDD. And it ain't that hard.

Removing standard HDD:

Inserting new HDD: same pictures, but reverse order (from bottom to top).

So they can force DRM by treating ALL games as digital games.

MSony backed away at launch, but it will return unfortunately.