By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If Obamacare fails, then what?

Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:

Something to consider.  The US government spends shit tons of Medicaid and Medicare despite not covering everyone.

Most hosptials lose money on Medicaid and Medicare.

Were we to go the route of full health insurance, the costs per person would go up.  Not down.

Medicare and Medicaid don't cost us a lot of money because they don't have proper barganing power, they cost a lot of money.... just because healthcare costs a lot of money... and we have a lot of factors that cause us to make much more use of healthcare.

Sure the government would have near infinite barganing power were we to have unniversal healthcare, but it sort of fucks us all over if they use that power to run hosptials out of buisness.

Not sure if you were just making a point off of what I said or if you were arguing against what I said, but I was using Medicare and Medicaid as an example of how expensive health-care has become. Also, the cost per person goes up initially. Theoretically it should go down as time goes on and more money flows to the insurance companies. Of course I am aware of other factors such as the elderly being constantly on life support, and a variety of issues regarding residency and legal issues, but by far the issue being addressed is the main culprit. I am writing this from my phone so I'll continue later.

Oh i just thought you were talking about cost cutting, as usually when people talk about just how expensive medicaid and medicare are they tend to make 1 of 2 points.

1) The government is really inefficent.

2) Healthcare is fucked up because bargaining is so split up.

The truth is, neither is true.  Well, government is really inefficient, but not in this particular case.

I think the difference between me and most people is that I disagree with captain kirk.  I do believe in the no-win scenario. 

Healthcare I believe is one of those situtations.  Free Market, Single Payer, everything in between.   I don't think any of it will actually fix healthcare costs.  At least not without drastically cutting research and adoption of new technology.

5%  of the people end up using 50% of our healthcare and healthcare costs.

At the end of the day, cutting down the number of people with multiple major health risks is the only way to REALLY get the costs down...

and THAT needs to be done via personal responsibility/lifestyle changes.

In otherwords, we're fucked.

So you think there's no ways to lower costs? Or make sure those that have pre-existing conditions get healthcare?

Around the Network
Tigerlure said:
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:

Oh i just thought you were talking about cost cutting, as usually when people talk about just how expensive medicaid and medicare are they tend to make 1 of 2 points.

The truth is, neither is true.  Well, government is really inefficient, but not in this particular case.

I think the difference between me and most people is that I disagree with captain kirk.  I do believe in the no-win scenario. 

Healthcare I believe is one of those situtations.  Free Market, Single Payer, everything in between.   I don't think any of it will actually fix healthcare costs.  At least not without drastically cutting research and adoption of new technology.

At the end of the day, cutting down the number of people with multiple major health risks is the only way to REALLY get the costs down...

So you think there's no ways to lower costs? Or make sure those that have pre-existing conditions get healthcare?

More or less.   I mean, there is a way to make sure pre-existing condition people get healthcare, but it's going to rapidly increase healthcare costs per capita, since people with a couple prexisting conditions already cost >50% of healthcare services.

So costs will be even more of a hindering bitch that will eventually get too out of control. 

We'd probably end up with things like the fat tax.

Baalzamon said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

The United States at this point would be bankrupt if it adopted our Canadian health care policy.

Oh really? Because Canada spends like 1/2 as much money per citizen as does the US on healthcare.

Yes, the U.S spends outrageous money for health care and that is without Universal coverage! Canada spends over $200 Billion in health care for 35 million people. Unites States has 313 million. I'd assume at the lowest rate if the U.S could cut costs to equal what Canada spends on the average citizen then it would be minimum $2 Trillion per year, if the rates stay the same there would be a highend of $4 Trillion (which would bankrupt The States at this point). Until the U.S manages it's finances to where there is no longer a substantial deficit, Universal Health Care is not a viable option.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Baalzamon said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

The United States at this point would be bankrupt if it adopted our Canadian health care policy.

Oh really? Because Canada spends like 1/2 as much money per citizen as does the US on healthcare.

its hard to compare. the rest of the world is living off the advancements made in the US medical field. if we change how we do things, the world will suffer as breakthroughs will come less often, and technology won't be subsidized by the US(not US government but US medical companies) any more . So yes, the US could adopt a style like the rest of the world, and choose not to invest in medical technology and medications, but all that would happen is everyone would be loosing out in medical advancements.

Its basically saying if I cant have it, I dont want others too, even if it helps advance peoples health. Its just not feasible to give everyone life saving extremly costly procedures, so if everyone cant have them, they go away, and with them the advancements that may have filtered down to help others.

Is it really worth it though? I'm not saying medical advancements aren't great, but one needs to realize that we can't continue to be the ones to bear all the costs of these advancements. And if others aren't willing to also bear the cost, then that is a clear indicator that economically, people don't want to pay for the cost of these advancements (ala, they aren't actually worth what they provide).

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:

Something to consider.  The US government spends shit tons of Medicaid and Medicare despite not covering everyone.

Were we to go the route of full health insurance, the costs per person would go up.  Not down.

Medicare and Medicaid don't cost us a lot of money because they don't have proper barganing power, they cost a lot of money.... just because healthcare costs a lot of money... and we have a lot of factors that cause us to make much more use of healthcare.

Sure the government would have near infinite barganing power were we to have unniversal healthcare, but it sort of fucks us all over if they use that power to run hosptials out of buisness.

Not sure if you were just making a point off of what I said or if you were arguing against what I said, but I was using Medicare and Medicaid as an example of how expensive health-care has become. Also, the cost per person goes up initially. Theoretically it should go down as time goes on and more money flows to the insurance companies. Of course I am aware of other factors such as the elderly being constantly on life support, and a variety of issues regarding residency and legal issues, but by far the issue being addressed is the main culprit. I am writing this from my phone so I'll continue later.

So you publicly fund research even with no promise that any of that research will be profitable, and phase in the fruits of those researches later when it's financially viable. The financial incentive need not come from the market for the research to occur. If it's really everyone else piggybacking off of American research, then build a global medical research fund.

There is no political problem that lacks a solution, you just have to muster the capital.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Baalzamon said:
Is it really worth it though? I'm not saying medical advancements aren't great, but one needs to realize that we can't continue to be the ones to bear all the costs of these advancements. And if others aren't willing to also bear the cost, then that is a clear indicator that economically, people don't want to pay for the cost of these advancements (ala, they aren't actually worth what they provide).

in my opion, it is worth it. let people who have the money pay for the advancements that will eventually help everyone. the other option is the slowing of medical advancements and we all get the same treatment, but worse cause the lack of advancements. or one where some people have better care than others, but those others are still better off due to the advancements made by those who can pay for it. So its we all suffer worse treatment, but equal, or we let some have better treatment, but with it they bring up the others as well. People do want to pay for it, those that have money, the problem is this is seen as unfair to those who can't. its not that the advancements aren't worth it, they just cant be given to everybody so they are not seen as equal. Maybe I am not explaining it very well. I'll try for an example, but dont bust my balls if its not good.

Lets say 2 people have a life threatning disease, 1 rich, 1 poor, the rich person can pay a lot of money to research and find a cure for their disease, but the poor man can not so they suffer and pass away, the rich person gets cured. Now that the rich person funded this research and cure, its cheaper for the next person. So although the first poor person did not benifit and was not treated the same, the next will, and so on and so on.

Lets say 2 people have a life threatning disease, 1 rich, 1 poor, the rich person is not allowed to have access to treatments that others cant have, so he doesn't fund the research to cure his ailment and instead is treated by the current methods. No advancement is made, but both people were treated equally.

So in one scenario people are treated equally, but at the sot of advancement, in the other the one with more resources gets better results, but those results filter down to help others.

Its a quick example but i think it works. Basically if there is no profit, no carrot, why will people put effort into it. Yes government will, and some people will, but I think rich people who value their lives will put the most effort and money into it, thus lifting more people to higher standards although not equal. (equaling out the rich and poor can be another thread :) )

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:

So you publicly fund research even with no promise that any of that research will be profitable, and phase in the fruits of those researches later when it's financially viable. The financial incentive need not come from the market for the research to occur. If it's really everyone else piggybacking off of American research, then build a global medical research fund.

There is no political problem that lacks a solution, you just have to muster the capital.

which is what is being done in the US. the rich are paying for life saving medical advances that the poor cant, these advances eventually help everyone. The other option is to let some arbitary person decide whats important and what isnt. How is that better?

then hilary clinton-care will kick in :p

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Kasz216 said:

We really won't have the money for that if we have universal healthcare.

Medicaid and Medicare costs a ton, and hospitals LOSE money on it.  The cost of a universal healthcare progarm in the US would be catastrophically high to the point of where we'd just be spending to break even and not roll backwards.