By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - If Obamacare fails, then what?

Zappykins said:
Dump the insurance companies and their CEO's and stuff that make multi million dollar profits of cutting people out of their health insurance.

Anyone who thinks 'free market' and 'health care' should go together has been drinking too much koch.

So much of the world has better health care than the USA and they pay many times less. Fact USA's health care is only slightly better than Mexico's yet cost 7 times as much.

Anyone who thinks that there has been anything resembeling 'free market' in health care has been drinking too much koch.

If there were more competition from reducing regulatory burdens, people actually investigating their insurance companies reputation and reading their insurance contracts and asking questions their would be considerably better healthcare. 

And Mexico's health care system is even close to that of the United states and is an absurd comparison without anu basis at all.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

glad i live in Canada. Many countries around the world have medicare yet the richest country in the world don't have the will to make it happen for all it's citizens?

Mr Khan said:
SlayerRondo said:
Mr Khan said:
SlayerRondo said:

A measure of a countrys federal debt in relation to its gross domestic product (GDP). By comparing what a country owes to what it produces, the debt- to - GDP ratio indicates the country's ability to pay back its debt.

Yes their is a large difference. We can print our own money at whatever rate we decide given that our currency is no longer bound to the value of gold. However this leads to inflation and inflation leads to uncertainty and that makes people less likely to buy US bonds or hold on too their currency which will decrease the value of the currency further.

That's the beauty of it, however. Inflation only leads to uncertainty when it leads to uncertainty. The liquidity trap sorts all of that out for the moment.

Japan demonstrates that America's nowhere near the danger zone, especially since the US doesn't have Japan's demographic problems which mess with the tax base.

That's not exactly true though.

Japan's culture is MUCH more debt resistant, because the japanese are ardent investors and savesrs in conservative porfolios.

Japan has the second largest debt market in the world despite it's economy not being anywhere near second, because of domestic demand that is unmatched elsewhere in the world, due to the aforementioend investors, and the corrupt government/corproations willing to prop up pension funds with bad bet government bonds.

CDiablo said:
Then plans go up in price and down in coverage like they did every year before obamacare. Hospitals continue to rip off insurance companies and everyone gets more money in the health industry.

Eh, not really.  Most hosptials actually lose money on treatment, and a lot lose money.

The only hosptials that really make bank are research hopsitals or other "top of the line" ones that get all the rich people money.

SlayerRondo said:
Zappykins said:
Dump the insurance companies and their CEO's and stuff that make multi million dollar profits of cutting people out of their health insurance.

Anyone who thinks 'free market' and 'health care' should go together has been drinking too much koch.

So much of the world has better health care than the USA and they pay many times less. Fact USA's health care is only slightly better than Mexico's yet cost 7 times as much.

Anyone who thinks that there has been anything resembeling 'free market' in health care has been drinking too much koch.

If there were more competition from reducing regulatory burdens, people actually investigating their insurance companies reputation and reading their insurance contracts and asking questions their would be considerably better healthcare. 

And Mexico's health care system is even close to that of the United states and is an absurd comparison without anu basis at all.

The issue with the free market is the same issue with communism: it doesn't work. Both assume perfect and utopian scenarios, such as people will not be greedy, people would be educated about they are acutally getting into and would be apart of it, and a small group of people do not control a large chunk of  the wealth in society. The reality is a free market would solve nothing, current insurance companies would just become stronger and because they control a monopoly not only would there be no chance for any new competiion but they would just have more power to do whatever they want.

Around the Network
Zappykins said:

That's actually not nessisairly a fact.  The traditional measures people tend to trott out about healthcare don't really tend to measure healthcare.

The US actuall has far better indicators when you clear up confounding variables of many kinds.

An example that even the most stringent liberal should be able to get behind for example is income inequality.  Poor people don't live as long.  Even in countries with universal healthcare.

Another one that oeople like to use life expectancy forget is the fact that the US has a SHIT ton of more violent crime... which leads to this fun statistical chart.

Then you've got the higher level of US teen pregancies compaired to most other countries, which feeds a higher rate of premature births which leads to again, a downward force on life expectancy.

and that's not even getting to Obesity, and tons of other factors.

Honestly, when it comes to life expetancy, healthcare means surprisingly little... or at the very least, the bottom of the line stuff that people will be signing up for thanks to Obamacare won't.

For example...

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1212321

Mr Khan said:
NobleTeam360 said:

lol... I missed that but I do still believe there is truth behind this as I've seen several senators say the same thing on CSPAN. 

I'll admit i was attempting to deflect there, though it brings up a valid point as the article definitely reads biased. The problem that we have to examine is about more than costs, but about levels of coverage. There are a few metrics that need to be considered before we say "premiums are increasing," and condemn that.

Well, i'll put i this way.   My heatlchare cost $90 a month.  If I want to keep it for next year, I have to pay $300 a month.

It offers no new benefits outside preventative care... and I already had that covered for free assuming I don't have to go to the doctor more then 3 times a year/just got it done when i did go.

Obama dropped the ball and is now going to make the public fear any healthcare bill. Honestly I believe he will go down as the worst president because of all the failures and pushed political agendas that are backfiring.

We need to drop stuff like fighting drugs and put that money towards a decent healthcare system. Have some government hospitals and also business hospitals. Free market is important with the balance of the government.

I'm a libertarian in some sense but I agree with somethings from all parties.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

I find it weird how little some people know about the whole situation. Does anyone here REALLY know why we have insurance at all? I feel like almost no one does.

I predict that if Obamacare fails, there is no way Obama will seek a third term in office.