By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retailers not ordering many Wii Us

Hey guys, my first ever thread :)

I went to my local EB Games today to buy Rayman Legends and commented on the Wii U Mario & Luigi bundle they have. The guy behind the counter said that they only ordered 3 Mario & Luigi bundles and sold them all on day one. He said they were shocked that they sold so fast and so are ordering more but probably won't be able to order enough as their back room will be full of PS4s and Xbox Ones shortly. 

I'm hoping demand keeps up for long enough that once all the PS4s and X1s are sold out that they are able to get enough Wii Us to meet demand, otherwise the Wii U could falter simply because retailers have given up on it before consumers ever did.

What do you guys/girls think?

Around the Network

This is the reality Nintendo made for itself. I get that it wanted to sell as many independent copies of the game as possible, but this bundle should've been a reality a long time ago, and the basic model should've never existed.

Maybe it being sold out for a solid chunk of the holidays will make it seem like there is more demand than there really is and people will begin to think its the hot new item. Also if retailers see sellouts throughout the holidays then that could give them more faith in it going into next year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Maybe it being sold out for a solid chunk of the holidays will make it seem like there is more demand than there really is and people will begin to think its the hot new item. Also if retailers see sellouts throughout the holidays then that could give them more faith in it going into next year.

I hope so, next year's lineup looks pretty awesome.

The Best Buy I work at ordered way too many consoles lol we've been sitting on like 15+ Mario Wii U's since they were released. We actually have more stock of Wii U than any other console. But honestly whoever orders stock for my store is retarded. We will get way to many copies of a game like Remember Me but then a popular game comes out Batman we get hardly any copies.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network
BlowoverKing said:
The Best Buy I work at ordered way too many consoles lol we've been sitting on like 15+ Mario Wii U's since they were released. We actually have more stock of Wii U than any other console. But honestly whoever orders stock for my store is retarded. We will get way to many copies of a game like Remember Me but then a popular game comes out Batman we get hardly any copies.

Hardly a time of the year though that anyone should care about overordering.  Don't matter if you have 100 dreamcasts sitting in the back right now, put them out on black friday with a "deal" sitcker on it and it will sell out, even if you don't put it on sale, just label it as so.

But understocking a game like batman is just stupid.  How could you not know that a game like Batman sells shit tons, and what is remember me?

irstupid said:
BlowoverKing said:

Hardly a time of the year though that anyone should care about overordering.  Don't matter if you have 100 dreamcasts sitting in the back right now, put them out on black friday with a "deal" sitcker on it and it will sell out, even if you don't put it on sale, just label it as so.

But understocking a game like batman is just stupid.  How could you not know that a game like Batman sells shit tons, and what is remember me?

I'm just afraid that we are going to get in  a situation like the Basic Wii U model. We had tons of those laying around after launch and we just kept getting more and more until we had like 40 of them for months. Finally they got recalled by Nintendo which freed up like half of our gaming storage lol.

@bolded, exactly

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:

Same here.  We ordered a LOT of the Zelda systems which haven't been selling.  On the other hand, we had less of the Mario Bundles, which have been selling at a rather quick pace.  We also still have some Nintendo Land bundles which had been selling OK, but once the Mario and Lugi came out, have understandably stopped moving.

Keep in mind, there is usually nobody ordering games.  The system is largely automated or determined at the district level rather than the store level, and a lot of it is based on volume of sales,preorders,  availability, and so forth.  Sales support managers have some say over inventory, but usually not that much to my understanding.  If you got 15 Mario Wii Us that didn't sell, and you have more Wii Us in stock than other consoles, then you're likely in a lower volume store.  So, when dealing with a game like Batman which is expected to sell a lot, it might be worthwhile to focus the distribution on other stores.  When a game like Remember Me comes out and sell outs are likely not going to be an issue,  Of course, that's just my best guess.  It could also just be someone at some job down the line is an idiot, which is definitely a very distinct possibility.

But the long and short of this whole thing is that judging the Wii U's retail relationship by one EB Games or Best Buy or whatever is silly. 

JWeinCom said:
BlowoverKing said:

Same here.  We ordered a LOT of the Zelda systems which haven't been selling.  On the other hand, we had less of the Mario Bundles, which have been selling at a rather quick pace.  We also still have some Nintendo Land bundles which had been selling OK, but once the Mario and Lugi came out, have understandably stopped moving.

Keep in mind, there is usually nobody ordering games.  The system is largely automated or determined at the district level rather than the store level, and a lot of it is based on volume of sales,preorders,  availability, and so forth.  Sales support managers have some say over inventory, but usually not that much to my understanding.  If you got 15 Mario Wii Us that didn't sell, and you have more Wii Us in stock than other consoles, then you're likely in a lower volume store.  So, when dealing with a game like Batman which is expected to sell a lot, it might be worthwhile to focus the distribution on other stores.  When a game like Remember Me comes out and sell outs are likely not going to be an issue,  Of course, that's just my best guess.  It could also just be someone at some job down the line is an idiot, which is definitely a very distinct possibility.

But the long and short of this whole thing is that judging the Wii U's retail relationship by one EB Games or Best Buy or whatever is silly. 

My store is the 2nd biggest in the district so it's not really a low volume store. I think the reason we don't have many consoles is because we are going to have a big shipment soon for Black Friday. But when it comes to gaming my store in general is very incompetent. If me or my gaming co-worker aren't there then the department is neglected since no one else in the store seems to know a thing about gaming our whats even going on.

And wow our stores or complete opposites since we sold a lot of Zelda Wii U's but maybe 2 Mario bundles lol

See people? Nintendo consoles are always in direct competition with Sony/Microsoft consoles. Gotta fight for that shelf space!