By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I am playing a cracked Japanese Smash. Any questions people want answered?

Hey guys.  I know I only own a PS3, but my roomate has a modded Wii and managed to hack a copy of Smash.  We had to burn it to a dual-layer DVD after he corrupted a bunch of the data to get it to work, but we have a working Japanese retail copy of smash.

My impressions so far:

Items are broken, as are the new super power moves.  We usually play with items off, so I can't give too many specific details.  Fox's super power is pretty ridiculous, as is Ike's

Link got nerfed, pretty hardcore.  At least from my initial impressions, and I was a damn good Link player, and he feels EVEN SLOWER than before (I know how is that even possible?).

Peach's down smash got nerfed, but her forward air still seems pretty powerful.

Fox's shine is not as broken as it used to be, not really that broken at all anymore.

Metaknight is my favorite character so far.  He is very well balanced and has sick recovery.  And I mean sick.  Pit's recovery might be even better, but my initial impressions of pit were that he is good, but not great.  That is by no means definitive though.

I like a lot of the new levels (and there are a lot of them).

Pokemon Trainer is pretty cool, but he is not my cup of tea.  Charizard is the strongest of his pokemon, but has awful recovery.  Squirtle is quick and has good to decent recovery.  Ivysaur is somewhere in between.

We are working on unlocking characters so we don't have Snake, Falcon, Ganondorf, Wolf, Lucero (or however you spell it), Sonic, and a few others.

Pikachu might be even worse if that is possible.  I would say he is slightly better than the last game, but nothing compared to the original.

Olimar may be one of the top tier characters.  My roomate really likes him and thinks he has a lot of potential.  He can deal great damage and has a lot of characters that follow him around (the Pikmin).  He kind of has a hard time killing people though.

Ike is very solid too.  He does great damage and is very good at knocking characters around.  He is a little slow though.  I would say he is similar to Link if you took away Link's projectiles and gave him more sword moves.  His recovery is pretty bad though.

Dedede might be the best large character I have ever seen except for Ganondorf.  He jumps by puffing like Kirby and he has some sick moves, albeit they are kind of slow.  He looks like he will be particularly powerful in group battles, though maybe not so much for one on one.

I will post more details once I get them about the game (i.e. once I play it some more).  Please ask if you have any questions.

The unlock order so far (if you just do versus battles to get the characters) looks like Luigi, Ness, Marth, Falco.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

how much did Marth get nerfed?

controls?

Can you give an impression of playing with the various options?

my god...not link....NnooooO!!!!

Wait, when you get marth, and C. Falcon unlocked, let me know. Im really interested to see if they screwed with my other characters.

PSN ID: Sol_Protege     Wii:154209933064989 

@wiiforever

Marth seems to play pretty similar to how he did (I noticed a big change with Link), but I haven't tried out his higher level stuff including air game, air combos, or even if the tipper is the same.

@superchunk

I have only tried it with GC controls, but those seem to work fine. They changed how rolling works some I did notice. Now when you roll, you choose which direction you face. It is annoying at first, but I think it is better in the long run. Wavedashing is gone too, and air dodges SUCK now, and I mean SUCK SUCK SUCK. You don't move at all when you do it. They still get the job done, but they were way nerfed.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

On the other hand, Samus got a good buff, so I hear.

I wouldn't worry too much over other peoples impressions of the game, guys. Just wait till you play it before you get your panties in a bunch. Patience.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

what is it better to control with the wii-mote or the gc controller

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
what is it better to control with the wii-mote or the gc controller

I honestly don't think I will even try the Wii-mote controls because I think it will sour my perception of the game.  I was a little worried that they would fuck this Smash game up and change things for the worst, but my impressions have been really positive so far, and I would like them to stay that way.

Odd how the holier-than-thou anti-piracy crowd evaporate when people want to know stuff

@ferret, i thought this was just a purchased Japanese copy of the game modded to run on his Wii. However, after looking closer at the OP it seems like it is a stolen game. nice. :(