By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Honest Opinion: Do you think Call of Duty is a bad series?

I think its a great series.

It gets shit on because its super popular.

Also it comes out every year so it gets ragged on for that, but...you don't need...to buy it....every year. Its not that hard to comprehend. I'm a huge call of duty fan but I don't own all of them (I like treyarch)

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

Bad? Probably not "bad" but hopelessly generic and rehashed every single year.

Overrated and doesn't deserve the sales it gets.

That is of course my opinion.

No it's not. It's an overrated series critically and doesn't deserve the sales it gets, but it's not bad. My main problem is that not only is the game pretty much the same every year, but the animation, visuals, voice acting, sound effects and even the guns carry-over game to game. Problems and complaints from the community go unnoticed and it's a damn shame that the most popular shooter on the market can't afford dedicated servers not even on pc (it took BO2 before we got limited dedicated server support on pc and still none on consoles). It's an embarrassment.

It's so lazily produced and unpolished that I can't call it a "good" game, but it also has a fun factor that makes up for its short-comings. Even the story mode,  short as it may be, usually tops as some of the most exiting action in videogames. Overall, it's just meh.

I think you have to differentiate the development teams...

First, I am not a huge fan of TreyArch CoD's. They have improved over time, but I still think they are second class CoDs compared to Infinity Ward...

Then, I differentiate Infinity Ward before and after the firing of Infinity Ward execs. Before the firing quality was job one. But, since quality has slipped for the Infinity Ward side as well.

Activision really needs to have three studios in the mix going forward. The extra year for each studio to produce their games will help quality a lot...

No, it's just a mixed series that sells more than it deserves to.

Around the Network

no, i enjoy the games a lot. but i will never buy one if they continue to release the same game every year with DLC that costs as much as the game

No, actually I think quite the opposite. Call of Duty is an amazing game, there are just too many. I remember when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare first released, I really got into online gaming. It had a great single player, and a great multiplayer, and I enjoyed it for about 2 years. After Modern Warfare 2,3 Black Ops 1 & 2, and now Ghosts though....there are just too many Call of Duty games. I'm not going to invest $60 a year into this franchise, and I feel like if I don't get the game right away, then my friends will have already finished the co-op modes (which I think are awesome).

So Call of Duty is kind of a franchise I think meh about. It's not exactly an amazing game which deserves to sell 10x more then everything else, but it's not bad either. They just know how to market this game, and people will pay $60 a year for updated multiplayer.

I still ocassionally do buy a Call of Duty game for the single player, but I'm not really a fan of Treyarch. I beat MW 1 & 2, and Black Ops. I might beat MW3 one day and Ghosts, but I don't care much for Black Ops 1 & 2. I feel Treyarch games are really designed for Americans with the type of characters and storytelling, where Infinity Ward appeals more to British/Canadians.

----

Anyway to sum it up, I think it's a great game, with a great (but short) single player and a great multiplayer. I don't think the series deserves such high scores and high sales considering how short the games are, and how multiplayer is essentially a map pack.

I'd say Call of Duty is an 8/10 franchise, worth playing when it's older because it's short and cheap.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

nope. I've never liked or understood the call of duty hate bandwagon. It may be heavily derivative on past games, but it has always been fun (personally speaking of course)

It can't be a bad series if it keeps selling millions upon millions. It has to be doing something right compared to every other game that flops hard.

It depends on the developer. I think Treyarch does a fantastic job with the franchise. World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops 2 were all solid shooters with strong campaigns and addictive multiplayer. The zombies were also a great addition. The multiplayer was always balanced and the maps were very well designed. Infinity Ward; on the other hand, hasn't made a decent game since Modern Warfare. Everything else has been terrible.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!