By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Honest Opinion: Do you think Call of Duty is a bad series?

It's not a bad game (series), it's just people who act like the game is the best thing and try to say anything that isn't CoD is essentially crap are annoying.

Also, it's no doubt a highly overrated game by many.

Around the Network

It's not my cup of tea, just because I don't really appreciate MP shooters, but if so many people buy and play it year after year, it has to do something really good, doesn't it?

I'm not a hippocrite either and I know I do buy Fifa every year despite mostly minimal changes and I still love playing it, so if I was into COD I wouldn't mind buying it every year.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

It went from a superb and innovative series to a subpar and mediocre one.

I don't hate on people that buy the games though. It's a popular series, I'll give it that. I have met people who think CoD is the best video game series of all time and to that, I just silently shake my head.

And just because I think the series has become stale doesn't mean I can't have fun with it. I think the games are worth $20 at most.

Been playing since cod 2 on pc...started on consoles on cod4.. back in the cod4 / waw days was the peak for me.. has been a bit down hill since mw2 in my opinion... have max prestige's in all of them except bo2 and ghosts.. it's a good series but very repetitive, the community isn't so great.

Look forward to giving ghosts a go on ps4 this friday, haven't picked it up yet on ps3. 

It is trash, i would be ashamed if i worked on one of them.

Around the Network

As somebody who has logged over 60days of gameplay in CoD with about 80% being Domination i will give some opinions i have about the series. I've played, cod4, MW2, blops and MW3.

- Both IW and Treyarch CoD games lag, IW maybe more for one person but then Treyarch for another.
- Both games have problems with spawns. IW games have much worse spawns and they have never been fixed in any of their games.
- IW games and maps are made for more kill whoring. Treyarch maps and desgin very much favour intense team oriented Domination matches.
- MW2 maps only work in 9V9 ground war,  seems to be the same with Ghosts.

- All IW cods suffer from the invisible player bug, no idea what causes it, Sometimes you will be killed by an invisible player or multiple players will all load in at once.

-MW2 was the only COD where you will be in a match then all of a sudden the game seems to merge with another one. Players/killstreaks/scoreboads all can change. This happened about 1in50 games across multiple game modes.

-MW2 had the best gun balance once 1887's were patched.

-All Cods also suffer from the half time lag switch, one team lags for the first half then it will switch. This does not happen all the time, but it happens alot.

-All cods also suffer from "Aim resist", "Aim Assist", "no recoil", "super sticky aim". These are all hidden attributes in cod games which can go off or on at any time. Most times the bad players get the good ones while the good players will be forced to suffer.

-All CoDs also suffer from the "God mode" hidden attribute. It basically allows your charcter to not be killed. You can run into spawns and drop 4+ guys even though they are looking at you and shooting directly at you.

- Incresed or decresed game speed in blops. This is the only game i noticed it in. Basically it will slow or speed up the game depending how good or bad you are. If you are good all your actions are slowed down including run speed. Its basically a .9 or a 1.1 gamespeed. If you do manage to get the increased gamespeed it is very noticable to the better players and it seems to last the full game if you do get it.

All CoDs are fun when they work right, sometimes you get no bullshit and its the most fun ever. Other times you get nothing but shit and it makes you want to smash your controller.

I'm not a fan. but I think that COD is good and successful series. I mostly played multiplayer - its fun and addicting. FPS with a remote feels great. (on Wii and WiiU). Also last COD (BLOPS on WiiU) was the first COD campaign I've finished, and I find it mostly enjoyable. Nice additions are wii remote support and local multyplayer with Upad/remote on TV.
I think I'll get Ghosts for WiiU before end of this year...

I think my problem with COD is more about what it represents than anything, it's a casual gamers game and casual gamers have affected how video games are made nowadays. Plus I think the franchise has hurt FPS a bit, and then you have games like Bioshock Infinite that prove FPS can have a good story and great gameplay but will never get the recognition it deserves.

DevilRising said:
fatslob-:O said:

It can't be a bad series if it keeps selling millions upon millions. It has to be doing something right compared to every other game that flops hard.

Yes, because that theory tends to play out so well in Hollywood too, right?

Twilight and Transformers and Fast & Furious MUST be inherantly good movies, if they do such good business, compared to actual good films that get not even a franction of the budget or promotion.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. (Sheesh, alot of gamers here keep disagreeing with my sentiments.) 

If you purchase a new Call of Duty every year and play each of them for a couple months it can get overly repetitive which makes it quite boring but you purchase a new one every two years..for example (MW3..and then Ghosts) it is probably a great franchise. I personally like the games although I was disappointed with MW3 and Black Ops ..but 4-6 was terrific. I haven't played since MW3 but I just picked up Ghosts and should be playing it in a couple weeks.
Overall: 4-6 (Brilliant)
7-9 (Disappointing)