By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U IS NOT Doomed.

People seem to forget the PS3 was struggling at one time too.
Good games, good marketing, a good outlook on the business have turned that around. No reason Nintendo couldn't do the same thing.

Around the Network

Of course it's not doomed.
It's the height of foolishness to consider a console doomed when its biggest games are ahead of it.
They said the PS3 was doomed in 2007.
They said the 3DS was doomed in 2011.

Wii U has sold quite a few units in the last month, around 300k i believe. Thats a massive increase to what it has been selling. Companies dont abandon a product that is selling, and right now Wii U is selling and will continue to increase sales.

Holiday 2014 will determine the WiiU future.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

This year was the year of the 3DS, maybe next year will be the year of the Wii U.

That was a huge part of the problem. THE single biggest culprit in Nintendo's game draught, was the fact that their development teams had been focusing TOO much on 3DS development, and not nearly enough on Wii U development, the console they had JUST brought to market.

Personally, I still say that Luigi's Mansion 2, at the very least, should have been a Wii U game, not a 3DS game. That alone, coming out in the early part of 2013, would have helped.

@OP

Of course Wii U isn't "Doomed". The only people who say so are either trolling or are most hardcore fanboys of the competition, and want to believe Nintendo will fail so their company of choice can "win". Wii U had a horrible 2013, and it was largley Nintendo's fault for mismanaging their own game development cycles. That can't be changed now. But they can still (and will) get a boost from the price drop and the holidays. And next year, they absolutely need to focus on Wii U. Games, games, games, and more games. And honestly, part of that should be releasing the Wii U version of Smash Bros. before the 3DS version, to give it more spotlight.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

This year was the year of the 3DS, maybe next year will be the year of the Wii U.

That was a huge part of the problem. THE single biggest culprit in Nintendo's game draught, was the fact that their development teams had been focusing TOO much on 3DS development, and not nearly enough on Wii U development, the console they had JUST brought to market.

Personally, I still say that Luigi's Mansion 2, at the very least, should have been a Wii U game, not a 3DS game. That alone, coming out in the early part of 2013, would have helped.

The problem is Nintendo don't have the resources to support two consoles. In 2014 we're about to get into a situation where there are quite a few great Wii U games coming and nothing significant (yet) coming for the 3DS. This is a really dangerous situation for Nintendo as they have been entirely reliant on the handheld to stay profitable. Without big titles sales will decline and it's unclear in the Wii U will be able to pick up the slack.

JinxRake said:
Good games, good marketing, a good outlook on the business have turned that around. No reason Nintendo couldn't do the same thing.

But, this time Wii U don't has that horse power to generate Visuals in compare to PS4/Xbone/PC. Wii U will sell only for their IP's and its not enough to sell more units. Also PS3 had advantages like Blueray, Horse power compared/higher than xbox360, they had New exclusives, and good 3rd party support, whereas Wii U just gonna has only one advantage of their IP's and its not enough to get sales similar to PS4/xbone. Wii U will sell but not like PS4/Xbone.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Michael-5 said:

WiiU isn't doomed, but it probably won't do that much better then Gamecube, and I can understand why. All sequels....

Yeah, because we know the full line up for 2014 and beyond........

I think within 5-6 years Nintendo will enter into a partnership with Microsoft. That's just the feeling I get.

Not bought out per se, but something whereby the two companies decide to work together for mutual benefit and Nintendo receives a nice fat pay cheque and MS gets to delegate some of their responsibilities in the game business to Nintendo.

I think the age of the game console in itself is coming to an end anyway, there is maybe one more console cycle left after this current one, after that, you will see like basically the Netflix of video gaming arrive and you won't need any type of game console for that, any display around your home will be able to run a game.

Your kids will laugh at you when you tell them you had to walk into a store and buy a $300 box to play games on. 

biglittlesps said:
JinxRake said:

But, this time Wii U don't has that horse power to generate Visuals in compare to PS4/Xbone/PC. Wii U will sell only for their IP's and its not enough to sell more units. Also PS3 had advantages like Blueray, Horse power compared/higher than xbox360, they had New exclusives, and good 3rd party support, whereas Wii U just gonna has only one advantage of their IP's and its not enough to get sales similar to PS4/xbone. Wii U will sell but not like PS4/Xbone.

YOINK!

I'll just quote this post for future reference. :)