By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U IS NOT Doomed.

I think you must wait until Mario, and SSB for too many conclusions to be made. If they do well enough and I think it will, I think wii-u can and will essentially be the gamecube 2 (except that its weaker than it's competitors).

If hypothetically, SSB and Mario bomb (I don't think this will happen), you have to evaluate everything related to wii-u, and what the right move is which could be moving all the software to 3DS, and or put other projects on hiatus that aren't feasible for the 3DS or something.

I don't think endlessly supporting a dead console with high dev cost software is a good or smart thing if your heavy hitters fail. Nintendo's had failures before (Virtual Boy), and recovered from them.

Around the Network

The Wii U is Not Not domed?

As Iwata said the launch of the new Xbox and Playstation will help invigorate the gaming market resulting in potentially better Wii U sells.
I definitely see myself getting a Wii U if I can't get a Playstation or Xbox, and I feel other consumers have a similar mentality as I.
Consumers aren't patient.

BuckStud said:

I don't see Nintendo dropping the Wii U anytime soon.  There are lots of great games coming out that those of us who own a Wii U or for the people who will still be buying one.

There are too many "brand loyal" people on these forums who call themselves "hardcore" gamers.  There's nothing "hardcore" about being a 1 system person.  I see these people as nothing more than sheep of the great hype machines.   I have all the system and a great computer than can out run any of the new systems.  I love them all and they all offer great games.  These so called "hardcore" gamers are missing out on a lot of great games.

I give your post two thumbs up! 

ishiki said:
I think you must wait until Mario, and SSB if they do well enough and I think it will, I think wii-u can essentially be the gamecube 2 (except that its weaker than it's competitors).

If for some reason, SSB and Mario bomb (I don't think this will happen), you have to evaluate everything related to wii-u, and what the right move is which could be moving all the software to 3DS, and or putting other projects on hiatus or something.

I don't think endlessly supporting a dead console is a good thing. And Nintendo's had failures before (Virtual Boy), and recovered from them, they won't be doomed regardless of what happens to the wii-u.

Virtual Boy had an install base of 770,000 and games were developed in red and black, doesn't seem like a big loss at all. Plus, it only had roughly 3 games from Nintendo. Not to mention the Wii U is an HD console and they have over 10 games in development for it. In my opinion comparing Virtual Boy and Wii U is unfair anyway because Virtual Boy was a "handheld system" and Wii U is a home console. Losses from home consoles are much bigger than those of a handheld.

xJbownagex said:
ishiki said:
I think you must wait until Mario, and SSB if they do well enough and I think it will, I think wii-u can essentially be the gamecube 2 (except that its weaker than it's competitors).

If for some reason, SSB and Mario bomb (I don't think this will happen), you have to evaluate everything related to wii-u, and what the right move is which could be moving all the software to 3DS, and or putting other projects on hiatus or something.

I don't think endlessly supporting a dead console is a good thing. And Nintendo's had failures before (Virtual Boy), and recovered from them, they won't be doomed regardless of what happens to the wii-u.

Virtual Boy had an install base of 770,000 and games were developed in red and black, doesn't seem like a big loss at all. Plus, it only had roughly 3 games from Nintendo. Not to mention the Wii U is an HD console and they have over 10 games in development for it. In my opinion comparing Virtual Boy and Wii U is unfair anyway because Virtual Boy was a "handheld system" and Wii U is a home console.

you completely missed the point of the hypothetical and I did not compare the wii-u to virtualboy. I also predicted the wii-u becoming the gamecube 2.

Are you going to argue, that if.. (if being the key word) mario and super smash brothers bomb, they should support this console into oblivion? And not evaluate their strategy?

Around the Network

I honestly see it keeping up or outpacing the XBOne in 2014 once Mario Kart and Smash Bros come out. Well until Halo 5 comes out anyway.

Doomed, no, but I don't see a terribly bright future for the console. Given the past year, I'm not very confident in Nintendo.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Depends on what you consider doom. If by doom you mean production stopped before the console has been on the market for 5 years then you are probably right that the wii u isnt doomed.

However, if you consider doom being selling gamecube levels and then quickly replaced after 5 years... Then the wii u is DOOMED!

ishiki said:
xJbownagex said:
ishiki said:

Virtual Boy had an install base of 770,000 and games were developed in red and black, doesn't seem like a big loss at all. Plus, it only had roughly 3 games from Nintendo. Not to mention the Wii U is an HD console and they have over 10 games in development for it. In my opinion comparing Virtual Boy and Wii U is unfair anyway because Virtual Boy was a "handheld system" and Wii U is a home console.

you completely missed the point of the hypothetical and I did not compare the wii-u to virtualboy and predicted the wii-u becoming the gamecube 2.

Are you going to argue, that if.. (if being the key word) mario and super smash brothers bomb, they should support this console into oblivion?

Uh..fuck. I misread XD.

On the topic of the bolded, yes. Not into oblivion of course, but let the rest of the software come out and let third parties know far ahead of time so they don't develop anymore games. If the games bomb, they should support it until the end of 2015 or until the last of the software rolls out.

Nintendo will never be able to recoup the losses from the Wii U. Dont know why people are so hung up on its success (which it wont be) and not enjoy playing the games.

-- The Wii was profitable from day one in all three territories. The Wii U was sold at a loss out the gate.

-- The Wii did not receive its first price cut until 3 YEARS after launch, let me repeat...3 YEARS AFTER LAUNCH. The Wii U, already not profitable, needed a price cut of 50 dollars on its most lucrative bundle after 10 months. They are now bundling their most popular game, new super mario bros U which will result in loss sales of the game itself which retails for $60

-- Nintendo profited immensely off the sales of peripherals, extra wiimotes and nunchucks, balance boards etc. The Wii U main device is its tablet controller which I'm sure a family is not going to buy four of since they cost 100+ dollars and the Wii U cant even recognize more than one. And since the Wii U is backwards compatible, there is no need to replenish controllers the userbase already have.

--Despite the visceral hate 3rd parties get from a couple Nintendo people on here, Nintendo profited greatly from licensing/royalties for publishing on the Wii, the Wii U cant capture 3rd party support.

I'm sure i'm missing more.