By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3DS weaker than a Gamecube?

Tagged games:

Is it?

Yes 61 39.87%

No 84 54.90%

Gamecube? What's that? 8 5.23%

Total:153

Does graphics really matter that much when it comes to Nintendo in general? Most of the games on the 3ds are goes more towards art direction rather than polygon count...

It is always impressive to see games such as RE Revelations and IronFall pushing the 3ds to its limit to output near console quality graphics but I found games like Fire Emblem, Pokemon and etc far more enjoyable cause of their art direction and storyline

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Paging Kaizar :P

I heard that the  super computer the NASA uses is powered by 3 3DS hooked together.

Pretty obvious, because the 3DS outputts over 9.000 graphics on firmware -0,5...in contrast to the Vita that can only make 50 thingamajiggs per second.

AND IN 3D !!!!

ganoncrotch said:
STRYKIE said:
stlwtng4Dmdrxip said:

Shenmue a game from 2000 : http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/0/e/a/gfs_26893_2_1.jpg

The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time 3ds,a game 11 years later : http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/130/reviews/997842_20110511_screen004.jpg

This is also considering the Dreamcast often struggled to run the Shenmue games. Either you haven't played them, or you was banking on everyone in this thread never playing them before.

While I'm here, I hereby declare that the PS2 is more powerful than the original Xbox on the basis of comparing Shadow of the Colossus to Blinx.

well then the Atari 5200 was more powerful than the ps2 when you compare the Atari 2600 compilation game "activision anthology" to the Atari 5200 games, which in turn also makes the 5200 more powerful than the original Xbox since that was already thriumped by the Ps2 :D

Honestly tho.... basing a comparison on a remake of an N64 game which came out almost 20 years ago...

Touche.

STRYKIE said:
ganoncrotch said:
STRYKIE said:
stlwtng4Dmdrxip said:

Shenmue a game from 2000 : http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/0/e/a/gfs_26893_2_1.jpg

The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time 3ds,a game 11 years later : http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/130/reviews/997842_20110511_screen004.jpg

This is also considering the Dreamcast often struggled to run the Shenmue games. Either you haven't played them, or you was banking on everyone in this thread never playing them before.

While I'm here, I hereby declare that the PS2 is more powerful than the original Xbox on the basis of comparing Shadow of the Colossus to Blinx.

well then the Atari 5200 was more powerful than the ps2 when you compare the Atari 2600 compilation game "activision anthology" to the Atari 5200 games, which in turn also makes the 5200 more powerful than the original Xbox since that was already thriumped by the Ps2 :D

Honestly tho.... basing a comparison on a remake of an N64 game which came out almost 20 years ago...

Touche.

I actually wasted some time looking it up, Ocarina of Time was first out in 1998 2 years before the game he is comparing it to haha.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
STRYKIE said:
ganoncrotch said:
STRYKIE said:
stlwtng4Dmdrxip said:

Touche.

I actually wasted some time looking it up, Ocarina of Time was first out in 1998 2 years before the game he is comparing it to haha.

Well, technically Shenmue was first released in 1999 in Japan. The principal is flawed all the same though.

But still, Atari 5200 too stronk D:

Around the Network

With the quality of the average game, it'd seem the 3DS is weaker. The only game that's been released that's comparable to what's been on the Gamecube is Revelations and I think Resident Evil 4 looks better in aspects, including character models.

Not only does RE4 on the Gamecube look better, but the 3DS version of Revelations has very noticeable frame drops whenever loading new areas and even runs sub 30fps a lot of the time throughout the rest of the game.

*edit*

Another thing worth mentioning is that with Pokemon X and Y, in combat, the game will often run at around half the framerate.  If you pay close attention you can also notice framedrops on the world map. 

If you're interested in checking out a location where there's a drop in frames on the world map, fly to the town next to the daycare center and then walk across the bridge and keep walking after the daycare center comes into view.  You don't need to be up at the top portion where the screen will look into the background, but pay attention, you'll notice a quick framedrop and then it'll pick back up.  Walk back right you'll notice it again.  It's specific spots in the game you'll notice frame drops which makes me think it's allocating new textures into the games ram.

DialgaMarine said:

I remember back when the 3DS was being boasted as a powerful portable piece of hardware,

When it came out, it was the most powerful portable games console. There's no doubt the Vita is a lot more powerful than it now, but you only need to look at the size of it in comparison to the GameCube to see that it's still a much smaller piece of tech delivering very similar visuals and it has to power it all off a small battery, not the mains.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

kupomogli said:

With the quality of the average game, it'd seem the 3DS is weaker. The only game that's been released that's comparable to what's been on the Gamecube is Revelations and I think Resident Evil 4 looks better in aspects, including character models.

Not only does RE4 on the Gamecube look better, but the 3DS version of Revelations has very noticeable frame drops whenever loading new areas and even runs sub 30fps a lot of the time throughout the rest of the game.

Let's be honest, unless a game has a loading screen, most games experience some kind of frame drop when loading new areas.  Also, the game runs at 30FPS for the majority of the game.  I have proof of that, too.

Eitherway, what you say still doesn't line up with OP as he says that the 3DS is "substantially weaker" (without even clarifying the meaning of such a phrase). 

ganoncrotch said:

You should have researched a bit more. You'd have found that the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time is completely rebuilt.

The leap between the N64 version and the 3DS one is huge. It's just that Nintendo did a fantastic job of retaining a very authentic art direction, so IMO the 3DS version looks now, how people remembered the N64 version looking.

Not only does link have faaar more polygons in him, if you look at the rope textures etc, they're also a lot beter too and this applies to the entirity of Hyrule in the game.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
ganoncrotch said:

You should have researched a bit more. You'd have found that the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time is completely rebuilt.

The leap between the N64 version and the 3DS one is huge. It's just that Nintendo did a fantastic job of retaining a very authentic art direction, so IMO the 3DS version looks now, how people remembered the N64 version looking.

Not only does link have faaar more polygons in him, if you look at the rope textures etc, they're also a lot beter too and this applies to the entirity of Hyrule in the game.

However, it should definitely be noted that the 3DS remastering goes nowhere near pushing the limits of the hardware.