By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - UPDATED - 7th Gen - 'Which System Won The Console War' - Poll Added

Who really won the the 7th Gen Console War?

Nintendo 138 46.46%

Xbox 360 30 10.10%

PS3 92 30.98%

Make Love Not War 17 5.72%

See Poll 17 5.72%

Total:294
Metallicube said:
Osc89 said:
Metallicube said:
Osc89 said:
Metallicube said:

According to who?

I owned a PS3 for like 2 months before getting bored of it and selling it back. Wii I have owned since launch and still enjoy playing it alone and with friends. So to me the PS3 was a far worse investment.

It must be according to most, given the current performance of the Wii U.

You do know those are two different consoles don't you?

Yes, but the Wii gamers have to go somewhere. People aren't sticking with the Wii, given it's hardware and software sales, and they aren't going to the Wii U. They are either done with gaming, or they aren't happy sticking with Nintendo home consoles. This implies they weren't happy investing in a Wii, or at least thought something else was a better investment. Might have moved to the 3DS, PS3, 360 or PC.

Wii U is more of a Gamecube disguised as a Wii than a true Wii successor. Outside the name and the fact that there's a quirky new controller, there is really not much about the Wii U that is similar to the Wii. The games resemble more of the "hardcore" and Gamecube types..

So really it was Nintendo that didn't stick with THEM, not the other way around. Why/how would so many gamers decide to bail simultaneously? They are all individuals, it's not like they all have a hive mind or something..

Nintendo (for the past few years) decided to go back to more of the niche Gamecube style games. That is why Wii U is suffering. What they aren't happy with wasn't the Wii, it was the direction Nintendo took AFTER the Wii, and it was also the fact that Nintendo abandoned the Wii so soon with support. I know this because I am one of these people. We'll see what happens when more of the Wii-style games come out, like Super Mario 3D World, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Mario Kart 8, DKC Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, etc, are released..

The fact wiiu has a different controller to Gamecube and is more powerful than a gamecube makes it a newer console than a gamecube or wii and makes your statement ridiculous,  Sony have gone down hill since the PS1 in my opionion.

Misread your first sentence, yeah i agree its more of a Gamcube console just with wii name, no doubt it will sell similar to gamecube maybe N64 lifetime, but i'd be happy with that as long as Nintendo profits by the end of the generation. 

Around the Network

The PS3 is a great console in my opinion. It may have had a difficult start and because BluRay and HD TVs were just too expensive to be mass market factors in Europe.

The Wii might have 4 extremely strong years and It was a great success with many great games. But even the hardcore Fan must admit that the Wii died early, long before the other two competitors lost their steam.

I still wonder how well the PS3/360 will sell when the price is dropped. Maybe the Wii will even end up third before the HD Twins will be discontinued. It will be interesting when this generation will finally end, given that through the networks you can still buy many games for cheap so you do not need stores to keep old games on the shelves.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
IsawYoshi said:
Just because you sell the most doesn't mean they won. They went down from 150 to possibly 100 million. Nintendo went from 22 to 100. And 80 to 150. I can't see how Sony can be the winner of the gen. Although they are specificly talking about the PS3 here. Still, the PS3 let all their opponent's catch up, and we still do not know if it will be the best seller, for those that only looks at that, and not the whole picture.

Nintendo won, but they pandered to a market that cannot be salvaged because they aren't truly interested in the product enough to reinvest. Nintendo would have to capture their attention all over again with a new gimmick or an upgrade to that gimmick. 

Yes, now they have to start over again, but even so they made a gigantic comback last time, and this is about last gen, not current gen (for Wii U owners).

Metallicube said:
Osc89 said:
Metallicube said:

Yes, but the Wii gamers have to go somewhere. People aren't sticking with the Wii, given it's hardware and software sales, and they aren't going to the Wii U. They are either done with gaming, or they aren't happy sticking with Nintendo home consoles. This implies they weren't happy investing in a Wii, or at least thought something else was a better investment. Might have moved to the 3DS, PS3, 360 or PC.

Wii U is more of a Gamecube disguised as a Wii than a true Wii successor. Outside the name and the fact that there's a quirky new controller, there is really not much about the Wii U that is similar to the Wii. The games resemble more of the "hardcore" and Gamecube types..

So really it was Nintendo that didn't stick with THEM, not the other way around. Why/how would so many gamers decide to bail simultaneously? They are all individuals, it's not like they all have a hive mind or something..

Nintendo (for the past few years) decided to go back to more of the niche Gamecube style games. That is why Wii U is suffering. What they aren't happy with wasn't the Wii, it was the direction Nintendo took AFTER the Wii, and it was also the fact that Nintendo abandoned the Wii so soon with support. I know this because I am one of these people. We'll see what happens when more of the Wii-style games come out, like Super Mario 3D World, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Mario Kart 8, DKC Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, etc, are released..

I'm not saying they are all bailing simultaneously, but they have to be leaving given software sales dropping off. And they must all be deciding that something else is a better investment or the Wii is no longer worth their time, which was the original point. I'm sure you are right about it being Nintendo's fault, but it doesn't reflect well on the Wii.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Lawlight said:
oniyide said:
Lawlight said:
oniyide said:
...Wii?

Wii died a while back and isn't selling well anymore. It's clear to everybody that the PS3 will pass Wii's numbers.

I dont like to count my chickens before they hatch, but i wouldnt mind as i prefer PS3 to the other 2

I think it's a given. 85M by the end of the year. That doesn't leave a lot.

It just reached 80 million so no it wont be at 85 million by the end of the year. It wont make it because it does have a long way.

Around the Network
Osc89 said:
Metallicube said:
Osc89 said:
Metallicube said:

According to who?

I owned a PS3 for like 2 months before getting bored of it and selling it back. Wii I have owned since launch and still enjoy playing it alone and with friends. So to me the PS3 was a far worse investment.

It must be according to most, given the current performance of the Wii U.

Then PS2 is a failure because given its hardware and software sales, they arent going to PS3. Same with PSP.

First of all, it's best to just enjoy consoles whether or not it's winning the war.

However, if you do want to judge who is winning the war - when people look back ten years from now - the standard metric will generally be how many total hardware units are sold. People don't care where companies were in the previous generation or how much their shareholders, executives, or janitors made. For instance with the SNES and Genesis, people will see the SNES as the victor without really considering money made or the fact that Nintendo lost market share. So you can spin it any way you like to help you sleep at night, but units sold will be the key metric here.

I do now think the PS3 has a good chance of passing the Wii since we will see a $199 price and a $149 price before it's discontinued. It all depends on how well the developing countries take the PS3 late in it's life cycle, but Sony has definitely built a reputation of supporting the console for the longest time.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

And someone else on microsoft thread just wrote xb360 passes ps3. This threads are becoming increasingly more like religion.

Switch!!!

phenom08 said:
Osc89 said:
Metallicube said:

Then PS2 is a failure because given its hardware and software sales, they arent going to PS3. Same with PSP.

What PS2 are you talking about? It was selling plenty of hardware and software well into the life of it's successor.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Dark_Feanor said:
Juma009 said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
for the company. no. For the gamers. 100% yes. Nothing came close to the PS3 this gen. especially near the end

Interesting, we should list the 10 best exclusives both consoles had and compare. will be close.

Well, what is sad is that PS3 has only one excluse on its Top 10 sellers (acording to VGChartz), 360 will most likely have 4 (1 Kinect and 3 Halo games) and Wii... 10 out of 10.

The exclusive argument has very little basis with the HD twins this generation.

yeh... becuase if it doesnt sell well its a bad game.. right?