By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: PS4 and Xbox One Launches Will "energise the videogame industry as a whole"

During the briefing Iwata commented: 

"Other companies will launch new consoles (in the overseas markets at the end of this year), but I think they focus on targeting highly skilled users. Therefore, in that sense, though the competition will heat up because new game consoles will come out and there will be a 'war of the game consoles' played out in media articles, we wonder if the target user will actually be the same.

"The games available at the end of this calendar year, 'Super Mario 3D World,' 'Wii Party U,' 'Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games,' 'Wii Sports Club' and 'Wii Fit U,' all lean more toward family use, and we are targeting those who bought Wii and would be interested in the Wii U offerings. That is slightly different than what other companies are aiming for.

"Thus, in the sense that we attract consumers interested in this category of video games, I think the launch of other video game systems is also good for us because they energize the video game industry as a whole."

For the full article: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/18531/article/iwata-ps4-and-xbox-one-launches-are-good-for-nintendo/

Iwata on Third Party relationship: http://wiiudaily.com/2013/11/iwata-on-third-party-developers/

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network

it's gonna be an exciting new age of gaming!
can't wait!!

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

So close.!>!

good for all the gamers.

"A rising tide lifts all ships"
Jack Tretton has said this on multiple occasions. He said it last year near the WiiU release.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Meh

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

What happened to Nintendo targeting core gamers? Did that evaporate along with third party support? Or is he simply implying a "for now" condition?

Anyway, I'm fine with Nintendo in their niche, if that's the route they settle into. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of people would be happy with that direction.

Edit:  It seems Iwata said 2014 will be Nintendo's year for the "highly skilled gamer".  Interesting.  Do they have anything announced besides Bayonetta?

New article everyone

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

pokoko said:

What happened to Nintendo targeting core gamers? Did that evaporate along with third party support? Or is he simply implying a "for now" condition?

Anyway, I'm fine with Nintendo in their niche, if that's the route they settle into. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of people would be happy with that direction.

Edit:  It seems Iwata said 2014 will be Nintendo's year for the "highly skilled gamer".  Interesting.  Do they have anything announced besides Bayonetta?

there's Smash, X , DK and Mario Kart i guess, but apparently they have a lot of games still not revealed yet that are slated for a 2014 release.

Ive got no probs with Nintendo going for a different audience, as long as they keep pumping out quality titles alongside the more casual family stuff. With a handful of decent 3rd party offerings a year as well, there will be enough variety for all types of gamers to enjoy.