By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Wii U double its sales in the last 10 weeks?

Im going to use the 3DS first holiday for a bit of reference. With ten weeks left of 2011, 3DS sales were at 5.90m and by the end of the year it was at 13.25m. Thats roughly a 125% increase. Can Wii U do the same thing?

3DS released in Feb/March 2011 and Wii U in Nov/Dec 2012 so Wii U has had 3 extra months to accumulate sales but 3DS got a price cut 5 months after release and Wii U didnt get one until 10 months after release so ill pretend those two things cancel each other out.

These two consoles have a lot of similarities leading up to the holidays, a price cut, Zelda remake, Sonic, 3D Mario. 3DS had Mario Kart as well but Wii U has Wii Party, Wii Fit and Mario & Sonic Olympics so maybe those three titles can make up for it.

Both also have similar competition. 3DS had to face DS, PSP, Vita(in Japan), Smartphones and Tablets while Wii U has to face Wii, 360, PS3, PS4, One.

If Wii U can have a 125% boost in the last 10 weeks like the 3DS had then it will end 2013 with about 8.65 million. Is this possible? Im personally expecting about 7 million by the end of the year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Idk if SM3DW is enough by itself, if DK was still coming out then I'd probably say yes, but now idk.  Depends on how hard Nintendo pushes marketing and how big of a hit the game is.

Doubtful. Maybe (maybe) with Mario Kart, but as it stands, I don't see it coming anywhere close.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Idk if SM3DW is enough by itself, if DK was still coming out then I'd probably say yes, but now idk.  Depends on how hard Nintendo pushes marketing and how big of a hit the game is.

I agree that 3D World is the only true system seller this holiday but it has alot of support titles that could make up for not having Mario Kart like 3DS did. Wii Party, Wii Fit, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Sonic Lost World, Skylanders, Just Dance, Zumba Fitness and some previously released games like NSMBU, Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Lego City, Pikmin, Wind Waker. Thats a solid list of games that appeal to Nintendo fans and kids/families.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I doubt that SM3D will be the ONLY System seller, when Parents by thei kids the system, they will also see Wii Party U, Lego City, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker .. I guess these games will all sell well, but of course, SM3DW will be the best selling game.

Around the Network

i don't think it is possible unless Nintendo pushes mario hard. I think they will reach between 6-7 million.

Shortiloe said:
I doubt that SM3D will be the ONLY System seller, when Parents by thei kids the system, they will also see Wii Party U, Lego City, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker .. I guess these games will all sell well, but of course, SM3DW will be the best selling game.

I would say its the only true system seller but as u said there is a solid selection of games that compliment it well.

Well my prediction is off by a shit ton if not so im hoping it will lol

I agree with you on the 7m and the fact that WiiU follows an almost exactly the same pattern as 3DS.

A similar boost the 3DS had during those holidays though is probably too much, because WiiU doesn't have Mario Kart yet. I do think that people will be surprised by the performance of Mario 3D World.

Maybe, 7mil should be the target.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.