By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Needs a New Franchise for Wii U

Don't forget miyamotos working on a new game for WiiU remember!

Around the Network
cheesecake said:
They need something to compete against Halo/Killzone.

I think this is right on the money. Nintendo has a lot of genres covered: action, platform, action-adventure, RPG, simulation, sports, fighting , racing. But outside Star Fox, and now Kid Icarus, it doesn't really have a shooter.

Nintendo could take some staff from Retro, pair them with ex-employees from Eurocom and Volition, and make a first-person or third-person shooter.

That would get people talking.

I trust Miyamoto blindly.

Two things.

Firstly, Nintendo has lost the Final Fantasy audience, they need to capture that crowd back. Maybe the newly-announced X will do just the trick but they need a big budget franchise in the veins of Final Fantasy.

Secondly, they need a third-person shooter adventure series in the veins of Uncharted, Mass Effect and Tomb Raider. They have lost that market since the N64 and need to capture that crowd back as well.

N64 golden eye was fun, but i dont believe anyone will buy a wii u because of a shooter.

Final fantasy i cant judge

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn´t really need a new franchise. It just needs to bring back some of its old beloved franchises, like Metroid, Star Fox, Wave Race, F-Zero, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Kirby etc etc etc etc.Those are the IPs that can sell well, after that they can think about a new franchise. 

Everybody keeps talking about new franchises but in reality new franchises suffer a lot to sell on today´s market, with a very, very few exceptions (The Last of Us.... ?).

Besides, there are all the games co-produced with Platinum and Monolith, like the excellent Wonderful 101, which unfortunately is selling poorly

They need t go back in time and buy out Rare, so many great franchises lost that would have boosted wii u sales.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I think this is right on the money. Nintendo has a lot of genres covered: action, platform, action-adventure, RPG, simulation, sports, fighting , racing. But outside Star Fox, and now Kid Icarus, it doesn't really have a shooter.

Nintendo could take some staff from Retro, pair them with ex-employees from Eurocom and Volition, and make a first-person or third-person shooter.

That would get people talking.

Vinniegambini said:
Two things.

Firstly, Nintendo has lost the Final Fantasy audience, they need to capture that crowd back. Maybe the newly-announced X will do just the trick but they need a big budget franchise in the veins of Final Fantasy.

Secondly, they need a third-person shooter adventure series in the veins of Uncharted, Mass Effect and Tomb Raider. They have lost that market since the N64 and need to capture that crowd back as well.

I agree with both of these. Even if a Nintendo published FPS/TPS/RPG doesn't sell Halo/Gears/Final Fantasy like numbers, if it helps change the perception about Nintendo consoles and show consumers that they can have that type of gameplay experience on it, that's a win. If Nintendo can shake the perception as "the secondary console" and show that it can be the "cover all bases" console, it's a win.

And from a public opionion standpoint, Final Fantasy it at it's lowest point since inception after the three FF13 games and the horrible start of FF14. If you're going to build an RPG to capture that starving JRPG crowd, now's the time to do it.

Rogerioandrade said:

Nintendo doesn´t really need a new franchise. It just needs to bring back some of its old beloved franchises, like Metroid, Star Fox, Wave Race, F-Zero, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Kirby etc etc etc etc.Those are the IPs that can sell well, after that they can think about a new franchise. 

Everybody keeps talking about new franchises but in reality new franchises suffer a lot to sell on today´s market, with a very, very few exceptions (The Last of Us.... ?).

Besides, there are all the games co-produced with Platinum and Monolith, like the excellent Wonderful 101, which unfortunately is selling poorly

1.Monolith is first party.

2.Nintendo has a huge backlog of games, but those games can only sell so well, and they mostly fill genres other Nintendo franchises today fill (besides Metroid), and Kirby hasn't gone anywhere (Kirby 3DS), and EarthBound has ended, finished, no more sequels.

I don't really think that the Wii U needs a completely new franchise. What I would like to have is a spin-off from a settled Nintendo character (we know Nintendo has a history doing that) or a crossover. Remember the rumours about a Starfox-Metroid game being developed by Retro Studios, back in 2012. I really liked the idea.

I'm actually very excited for the new franchise Myamoto is working on. A new masterpiece in terms of gameplay and gamedesign - that is what we can expect before he retires. Didn't he once mention that he would like to create his own shooter one day?