By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Needs a New Franchise for Wii U

Veknoid_Outcast said:
cheesecake said:
They need something to compete against Halo/Killzone.

I think this is right on the money. Nintendo has a lot of genres covered: action, platform, action-adventure, RPG, simulation, sports, fighting , racing. But outside Star Fox, and now Kid Icarus, it doesn't really have a shooter.

Nintendo could take some staff from Retro, pair them with ex-employees from Eurocom and Volition, and make a first-person or third-person shooter.

That would get people talking.

i would also agree with this.

..it's doesn't need to be a "halo killer" or anything.  it's just that shooters are so fucking popular these days that's it is a really conspicuous absence from nintendo's first party lineup.   hell, it could be something absolutely silly like "mario paint ball" and have sort of a mario kart-esque take on the shooter genre.  honestly, that sounds like an awesome little niche in a genre predominetly focused on gritty military/space settings.

Around the Network

I'd like to see something totally new and unique, something that can only be done on Wii U. If I was to say what a new franchise for Nintendo and Wii U would need to be, it would:
-be original
-heavy emphasis on online
-use the gamepad in a fun way but not a way that hinders the game.

I think something that might work is a game that featured a persistant online world that gamers could explore. This world would be for collection of items and competition with other players. The key is that the goal is to build and create some sort of amazing creature using the gamepad. You could perhaps "draw" it or piece it together from things you collected in your journeys using the touchscreen. It is this creativity/collection aspect that is key, and would allow for a unique experience for each player akin to Minecraft. The exploration/combat would be more traditional, using dual sticks and buttons, but every character would control a bit different depending on how they were created and later modified. The online element would be strongly emphasized, with Mii Verse displays of your latest changes to your character or the latest items you have found. The game would be family friendly, but provide plenty of challenge for adults and not feature an overly child-like theme.

Maybe nintendo needs to hire gays for marketing.

star i think the idea is something that makes them play really long that game so they have a long time to influence other people. Im not sure about the building thing

justiceiro said:
After W101 bomba, i come to realise that every time some one say:" Nintendo, we want a new ip", they are actually asking: "give me a new shooter with a film-based storyline, gorgeus ultra realistic graphics, and with online multiplayer where I can shoot everyone and prove that ima the bezt!1!!!!"

Nintendo own a s***ton of ip's that they don't use for some generations now. If more of then could get the Kid ikarus treatament, we could get in something big here. Fatal frame is a survival horror game where you use play in third person, and then shoot photo in first person. Its perfect to use with the game pad, but where are yet to see this obvious game debut on nintendo plataforms. Star tropics, wave racer, fzero, star fox, takamaru castle, thelist goes on and on...

*pic*

If nintendo could put 1 game of each off their franchise once in every 2 years, we were well serverd for the entire generation.

The reason sony put out so many ip is because they don't have that many.

Sony have at least 132 franchises going by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment#Owned_franchises_and_properties. That picture has 90, so I wouldn't say Sony don't have many, just that Nintendo have much bigger selling franchises.

But I 100% agree with you about bringing back Fatal Frame, I would love to see a Wii U version. I worry that it wouldn't be a priority though, as they want to push out system sellers right now, which Fatal Frame probably isn't. But it would be perfect for the hardware.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

kitler53 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
cheesecake said:
They need something to compete against Halo/Killzone.

I think this is right on the money. Nintendo has a lot of genres covered: action, platform, action-adventure, RPG, simulation, sports, fighting , racing. But outside Star Fox, and now Kid Icarus, it doesn't really have a shooter.

Nintendo could take some staff from Retro, pair them with ex-employees from Eurocom and Volition, and make a first-person or third-person shooter.

That would get people talking.

i would also agree with this.

..it's doesn't need to be a "halo killer" or anything.  it's just that shooters are so fucking popular these days that's it is a really conspicuous absence from nintendo's first party lineup.   hell, it could be something absolutely silly like "mario paint ball" and have sort of a mario kart-esque take on the shooter genre.  honestly, that sounds like an awesome little niche in a genre predominetly focused on gritty military/space settings.

Mario Paintball sounds like absolute brilliance.  It could be the MarioKart of shooters.  Sounds ridiculous, but I'm being fully honest saying it could be a family-friendly shooter that could sell 10's of millions.

Around the Network
Videokameras said:

Maybe nintendo needs to hire gays someone.... anyone!!!! for marketing.

star i think the idea is something that makes them play really long that game so they have a long time to influence other people. Im not sure about the building thing

Fixed.

Lol, but yes they definetly need to hire someone,

Doesn't need to be a new franchise, just needs to be killer.

The second best system seller on Wii was Mario Kart, because it gained so much from online, wireless controllers and motion controls. If it's a venerated franchise that makes similar gains from the Wii U's technology, it will have much the same effect.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
Doesn't need to be a new franchise, just needs to be killer.

The second best system seller on Wii was Mario Kart, because it gained so much from online, wireless controllers and motion controls. If it's a venerated franchise that makes similar gains from the Wii U's technology, it will have much the same effect.

Mario Kart was huge, but before it hit we had Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy and Zelda:TP which all brought something fresh and stylish.  Classic Nintendo games will sell - and I think Wii U will sell regardless - but if Nintendo wants the system to really take off and be a market leader, I think they need a game that is either a new franchise or a bold new re-imagining of an old one, something that gets attention.  Especially from non-Nintendo fans.

They would be better off improving the HD tech in the development area and rev up a new system on par with the ps4. Wait a year or 2 more and release it for $300 with a slew of bad ass nintendo games forcing the hand of the multiplatform devs to recognize.