By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What is up with the crazy PS3 attach rate in Europe?

I mean seriously, the install base is smaller by at least a million compared to the 360 in Europe but many of the titles this week have matched or beaten there 360 counterpart.  The install base is similar in size to that in America, but the people here don't seem to be nearly as enthusiastic with their wallets as you Europeans out there.

Why are they buying so many damn games?  The PS3 is still pretty expensive even after the price drops in Europe.  Maybe Sony's strategy of nerfing backwards compatibility has paid off or something.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Not to disagree, but I already tried an attach rate post (for japan), I only got flack for it. You may just be better off leaving this knowledge to yourself.

Because all PS3 owners have to be so rich to afford a PS3, that they sleep on beds of money, so can buy games willy-nilly. Or maybe it is because BP, AC, CoD and DMC 4 were all perfect ports, and Uncharted is awesome

After the last year that was pretty terrible game-wise we finally have a whole batch of awesome games to choose from.

I'd say the new starter pack has something to do with it. So currently PS3 comes with 2 games, which are different in different countries.
Naturally, i didn't look what games are you talking about (and you didn't give any examples) and i don't know what games come bundled in which countries. But 64k HW sales makes 128k "extra" in total SW.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

well its because there are alot of good games to choose form right now and people are buying em

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

@bdbdbd, bundles have probably helped Uncharted, Ratchet (although still out the top 50) however, these bundles are not fixed games, in the UK you do get a large choice of 5-10 games, 1 of which you get. People are choosing to get these games. and AC, FIFA, PES 08, Burnout, Need for Speed (8 million seller!) have outsold their 360 counterparts. and this week Turok and DMC 4 opened with very similar sales (of course DMC 4 is cheaper on 360)

I'd be willing to buy more games if they came out for $40but since they don't I wait for a sale unless it's something I really want like street fighter 4, kz2 or Resistance 2.

this might be the reason:

the ps3 library is significantly smaller than that of the 360
so it's new or good or famous games have less competition
than games or multiplatform games on the 360
a 360 gamer has more to choose out

so there is a good chance that the 360 had a much more similar attach rate to the ps3 a year ago then it has now with the 360

''Hadouken!''

A factor may be that some Europeans are looking ahead towards the future, a PS3 version provides no worries of RRoD and disc scratching. The more 360 games you buy the harder it becomes switching to another platform.

When our 360 died, we weighed the pros and cons. The main factor for not selling the 360 was that we did invest quite a bit in the platform, premium + extra controller + memory card + ~6 games and would sell it at a good loss. But we decided going PS3 + Wii only was the best option for our family.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales