By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My Battlefield 4 campaign review...

Tagged games:

theRepublic said:

fatslob-:O said:

@Everyone 

I love how people hate sales numbers sooo much. They are the ones to speak about the truth of the quality of the product.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't hate sales numbers.  They are very important.  They are just not always a great indicator of quality.  Inferior products win in the market all the time for a variety of reasons.

I would say that sales are a great indicator of market appeal.

Then what else can define quality quantitatively ? 

How is minecraft a smash success if it had no marketing, was a new IP, and it came from a small unknown developer at first ? The biggest factor to sales is quality. Marketing/hardcore hype won't cut it. 

@Bold Those are some pretty bad excuses if you ask me. If the game were good then there would be no excuses as to why it sells bad. If a game were truly bad then it would have never been supported by the mass market. Ever heard of the term the customers are always right about what they want. Bad businessmen will make bad excuses as to why the game sells poorly. They won't ever tell you the exact reason and it's probably because the product is shit. 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
How long did you took to finish it?

More importantly, how long did it take him to write this review?

What were the critic scores of this game?

spurgeonnintendoryan said:
NiKKoM said:
How long did you took to finish it?

More importantly, how long did it take him to write this review?

What were the critic scores of this game?

I think it's getting around the 80's in metacritic. 

foodfather said:
Bad company series had amazing campaigns. Very disappointed to here this, certainly wont be buying this day one.

It released on October 29th...

theRepublic said:

@Everyone 

I love how people hate sales numbers sooo much. They are the ones to speak about the truth of the quality of the product.

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't hate sales numbers.  They are very important.  They are just not always a great indicator of quality.  Inferior products win in the market all the time for a variety of reasons.

I would say that sales are a great indicator of market appeal.

Then what else can define quality quantitatively ? 

How is minecraft a smash success if it had no marketing, was a new IP, and it came from a small unknown developer at first ? The biggest factor to sales is quality. Marketing/hardcore hype won't cut it. 

@Bold Those are some pretty bad excuses if you ask me. If the game were good then there would be no excuses as to why it sells bad. If a game were truly bad then it would have never been supported by the mass market. Ever heard of the term the customers are always right about what they want. Bad businessmen will make bad excuses as to why the game sells poorly. They won't ever tell you the exact reason and it's probably because the product is shit. 

"Then what else can define quality quantitatively?" Probably nothing can.  Not sales, and not review scores.  If I had to pick one, I would probably pick reviews as being closer.  Even then, with how bad game journalism is right now, that only really gives you the 'hardcore' perspective.  I guess the closest you could get would be big consumer surveys after people play the game in question.

"How is minecraft a smash success..." Did you just ignore that list I posted?  Let's see that again:

Genre, art style, marketing, current market saturation level (both in and out of genre), publisher brand strength, developer brand strength, IP brand strength, consumer excitement, reviews, and quality all play a role in how much a game will sell.

Mincraft gets big points in a lot of these areas:

• Genre - Sandbox type games are very popular.  This particular type, where you mine and build anything you want, didn't really exist before.  Which leads me to...
  • Current Market Saturation - Nothing like this game really existed before.  There is a huge first mover advantage here.  I would say this is the biggest reason the game is so big.  Malstrom says new content is what makes a game a success.  This game has that in spades.
  • Marketing - True, this game does not have traditional marketing.  But it does have a ton of positive word of mouth marketing.  Which I would argue is even more valuable.
  • Consumer excitement - See above.
  • Quality - Yes, I agree this is a quality game, and that certainly helps a lot.
"Those are some pretty bad excuses if you ask me."  Not excuses, just reality.

"If a game were truly bad then it would have never been supported by the mass market."  Nice strawman.  Where do I say that a bad game sold well? (In case you were wondering, I think Wii Sports is a very high quality game.)  This is probably in reference to where I said that inferior products sometimes win in the market.  Sometimes that is on price.  Quality usually costs more, so a cheaper product can sell more.  Sometimes it is on marketing.  I've seen a documentary that did a blind taste test with Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light.  Nobody could tell them apart.  Yet they don't all sell in the same numbers.  That is because of marketing.

"Ever heard of the term the customers are always right about what they want." Yes, I have heard that, and it is wrong.  Dead wrong.  As much as I don't like Apple products, Steve Jobs was right when he said that customers don't know what they want until you show them.  That is how Apple was able to create or redefine products, and then make huge profits.  That is how Nintendo created the Wii.  Nobody was asking for motion gaming.  But once people saw it, they said "Holy crap, I want that!"

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

"Then what else can define quality quantitatively?" Probably nothing can.  Not sales, and not review scores.  If I had to pick one, I would probably pick reviews as being closer.  Even then, with how bad game journalism is right now, that only really gives you the 'hardcore' perspective.  I guess the closest you could get would be big consumer surveys after people play the game in question.

"How is minecraft a smash success..." Did you just ignore that list I posted?  Let's see that again:

Genre, art style, marketing, current market saturation level (both in and out of genre), publisher brand strength, developer brand strength, IP brand strength, consumer excitement, reviews, and quality all play a role in how much a game will sell.

• Genre - Sandbox type games are very popular.  This particular type, where you mine and build anything you want, didn't really exist before.  Which leads me to...
  • Current Market Saturation - Nothing like this game really existed before.  There is a huge first mover advantage here.  I would say this is the biggest reason the game is so big.  Malstrom says new content is what makes a game a success.  This game has that in spades.
  • Marketing - True, this game does not have traditional marketing.  But it does have a ton of positive word of mouth marketing.  Which I would argue is even more valuable.
  • Quality - Yes, I agree this is a quality game, and that certainly helps a lot.

"If a game were truly bad then it would have never been supported by the mass market."  Nice strawman.  Where do I say that a bad game sold well? (In case you were wondering, I think Wii Sports is a very high quality game.)  This is probably in reference to where I said that inferior products sometimes win in the market.  Sometimes that is on price.  Quality usually costs more, so a cheaper product can sell more.  Sometimes it is on marketing.  I've seen a documentary that did a blind taste test with Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light.  Nobody could tell them apart.  Yet they don't all sell in the same numbers.  That is because of marketing.

"Ever heard of the term the customers are always right about what they want." Yes, I have heard that, and it is wrong.  Dead wrong.  As much as I don't like Apple products, Steve Jobs was right when he said that customers don't know what they want until you show them.  That is how Apple was able to create or redefine products, and then make huge profits.  That is how Nintendo created the Wii.  Nobody was asking for motion gaming.  But once people saw it, they said "Holy crap, I want that!"

Then I guess review scores say that wii play bad was even though the mass market disagrees. I would rather trust the large sum of what people want than a small sample of reviews. Reviews are nowhere near close to the general audience thinks. Why are the user scores for modern warfare 3 so low ? The hardcore has basically infected game journalism to become not reliable again. 

Minecraft is what you would call a blue ocean game. Like malstrom once said, "It is harder to sell in a cold market than a hot market." Minecraft was in itself innovative by mass market and that added to the quality of the game.

I agree with the fact that minecraft has new content but that goes inline that new content increases the quality of a game also. 

It's true that the marketing came from the word of mouth, however the game needed to retain some initial quality in order to do that. 

Again to gain consumer excitement with minecraft it had to have some initial quality otherwise people wouldn't recommend it in the first place.

This basically all boils down to the quality of a game and nothing else. Those points were a part of quality. 

Please describe how inferior products can win ? You basically said inferior products in the market wins so I took that as you saying that inferior games can win in the market so how exactly is that strawman ? Oh and your reasons as to why they win is mostly excuses. It's not my fault that some people see more quality in some alcoholic beverages. What's more is that I wouldn't know because I don't drink those. 

Really ?! So your denying that people who wanted those apple products didn't want it ?! Instead you'll probably resort to saying that apple had the best marketing to do it but that alone will not cut it. Their iPods and iPhones were pretty good products at the time. Your right about nobody asking for motion gaming but your dead wrong about it being a fad. Nintendo aimed for a blue ocean strategy and that is how they flourished. Hence they created a new market with no contendors. 

theRepublic said:

Then I guess review scores say that wii play bad was even though the mass market disagrees. I would rather trust the large sum of what people want than a small sample of reviews. Reviews are nowhere near close to the general audience thinks. Why are the user scores for modern warfare 3 so low ? The hardcore has basically infected game journalism to become not reliable again. 

Minecraft is what you would call a blue ocean game. Like malstrom once said, "It is harder to sell in a cold market than a hot market." Minecraft was in itself innovative by mass market and that added to the quality of the game.

I agree with the fact that minecraft has new content but that goes inline that new content increases the quality of a game also. 

It's true that the marketing came from the word of mouth, however the game needed to retain some initial quality in order to do that. 

Again to gain consumer excitement with minecraft it had to have some initial quality otherwise people wouldn't recommend it in the first place.

This basically all boils down to the quality of a game and nothing else. Those points were a part of quality. 

Please describe how inferior products can win ? You basically said inferior products in the market wins so I took that as you saying that inferior games can win in the market so how exactly is that strawman ? Oh and your reasons as to why they win is mostly excuses. It's not my fault that some people see more quality in some alcoholic beverages. What's more is that I wouldn't know because I don't drink those. 

Really ?! So your denying that people who wanted those apple products didn't want it ?! Instead you'll probably resort to saying that apple had the best marketing to do it but that alone will not cut it. Their iPods and iPhones were pretty good products at the time. Your right about nobody asking for motion gaming but your dead wrong about it being a fad. Nintendo aimed for a blue ocean strategy and that is how they flourished. Hence they created a new market with no contendors. 

VHS.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

KylieDog said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Thanks for the useless response. You're a great contributor to this forum.

Don't get pissy because I called your BS statement.

No, you just gave me a useless comment.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I stopped have any expectations for military shooter campaigns a long time ago. They mostly serve as a training ground of sorts to get me ready for mp. If they have nice stories then that would be a nice addition though.

Mr Puggsly said:
KylieDog said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Thanks for the useless response. You're a great contributor to this forum.

Don't get pissy because I called your BS statement.

No, you just gave me a useless comment.

How's the online ?