By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NintenDomination - Sorry VGC, But Your Thread Is In Another Castle

Rate Conegamer's Reign

10 81 70.43%

9 4 3.48%

8 2 1.74%

7 3 2.61%

6 0 0%

5 1 0.87%

4 0 0%

3 0 0%

2 1 0.87%

1 8 6.96%

Total:100

Retro Studios is a great studio, no question about that!
I do want them to take Kid Icarus to the next level, just to see how they would do it. Have KI:U as the template though with on-rail and on-foot sections and online.

Mostly want them to do it for Wii U / Successor and make story be also amazing and with those voice acting's, with the on-foot controls largely improved. Preferably more playable characters than just 3 though, and for them to be used in other modes too.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Samus Aran said:

MP2 and 3 virtually the same? Why don't you just say you never played them. The gameplay quality is higher btw, people just call the first one the best because it came first. Sanctuary Fortress is boring design now? Lmao. Much better than the generic ice area and generic ruins area.

If their can only be one masterpiece then why are you complaining about them having only one lol?

And again, the new DKC games shit all over the original trilogy.

How about you stop automatically saying the first game in a particular franchise is always the best? OoT fans are already annoying enough. I'll gladly play TF over the old DKC games.

I would say they're just shit, honestly. The original had amazing controls, and the latest two just simply do not. Then there's the level design, which is lacking the polish of the original games. The original games were also the most visually impressive games of their time, Retro not only failed to achieve something similar, but didn't even come close.

I'd say both level design and controls were better in Retro's games. The stronger hardware allowed for more dynamic levels that shifted and metamorphosed as you moved (and smashed) through them, while the characters had more of a sense of momentum.

Looks like Nintendo's organizing a Smash tournament.......for amiibo:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/mar/07/nintendo-organizing-nationwide-amiibo-only-super-smash-bros-wii-u-tournament-japan/

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

I would say they're just shit, honestly. The original had amazing controls, and the latest two just simply do not. Then there's the level design, which is lacking the polish of the original games. The original games were also the most visually impressive games of their time, Retro not only failed to achieve something similar, but didn't even come close.

I'd say both level design and controls were better in Retro's games. The stronger hardware allowed for more dynamic levels that shifted and metamorphosed as you moved (and smashed) through them, while the characters had more of a sense of momentum.

I disagree completely, and this is why:

1. On controls, the original trilogy definitely has MUCH better controls, not even an argument. The newer games are slower, heavier, and laggier than the originals. Not to mention there was that bizarre 'shake the Wii mote' gimmick control method that they put in Donkey Kong Returns, that really made the controls annoying and slowed down the game tremendously.

2. You bring up higher technology, but despite that, the environments and models of the originals still end up being prettier than the new ones. Despite all of that extra power and polygons put into the new games, the are arguably not as pretty from an artistic standpoint. The newer games end up having this washed out looking flash style graphics. The 20 year old originals went with a stylized artistic approach based on claymation, which give the world ta lush waxy sheen. The original trilogy look much more colourful and much more lively, and they achieved this over two decades ago on 25 year old hardware:

When Donkey Kong Country came out on the SNES, it was groundbreaking. DKC Returns is pretty meh, and the latest struggles to come close to some Indie titles, like Trine.

3. The Kremlings were WAY better than the weird drum things with wings in  or anything from DKC TF. What is it with that weird cylinder end boss thing? King K-Rool was WAAAAAAAY better than that.

4. Speaking of K-Rool, it's that sort of comedy that makes the original trilogy much more charming on top of just all around better. In Donkey Kong Country he was a King on a Pirate ship, in DKC2 he was a pirate in a Science lab, and in DKC 3 he was a scientist in a castle. Instead DKC Return gives you this boring piece of wood as an end boss:

5. Despite the extra tech, they didn't really use it to add variety over the originals. You got the rhino back, but that was about it. it was definitely lacking here.

6. Also, memorable levels? In the original game, you start out with that beautiful jungle level, followed by the dark thunderstorm level where you swing along the vines like Tarzan, before heading to the first underground level with the bouncy tires, then the underwater level where you meet the swordfish for the first time, then the level with all the barrel blasting that was fast enough to even make Sonic fans jealous... Just about every single level across the first two games were memorable, and the third game had that really cool opened up way of moving around the map, which had hidden secrets scattered around. DKC Returns is more of just a mash of old rehashed ideas mixed with uninspired design, without really much in the way of having standout levels. Plus the maps sucked, moving around the map is just an icon on a very flat crappy looking souless board, it was the most primitive looking thing the series ever had.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

If you're not good at video games please don't blame the controls.

Around the Network

Retro is great and the Donkey Kong Country Returns series is simply amazing. If you think they are bad... then maybe you have no taste at all for platforming games or you are so stuck in the past that nothing seems better this days... But DK:TF is better than any of the original Donkey Kong Country in every possible aspect. They are not revolutionary this time, but they have better level design, better controls, better graphics, better music, better atmosphere (at least on Tropical Freeze) and better balance between being very hard but feeling very fair.

I'm really loving Fire Emblem!

But some of my characters are so underleveled like Robin. Any advice? I'm about 6 hours in.

Samus Aran said:

But some of my characters are so underleveled like Robin. Any advice? I'm about 6 hours in.

Use them more, pair them with stronger characters and do some of the additional skirmishes. Get Donnel, for example!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Samus Aran said:

Use them more, pair them with stronger characters and do some of the additional skirmishes. Get Donnel, for example!

Yeah, they're underleveled because I pair them with stronger characters. He's just so weak and useless. >_<

Samus Aran said:
Conegamer said:

Yeah, they're underleveled because I pair them with stronger characters. He's just so weak and useless. >_<

Well what stats did you pair with him? If you did it wrong that could be the problem.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.