By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 numbers were fine in Germany, now they are undertracked! (my opinion ba

^so why change numbers to fit theirs?

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Even if their numbers are only for 80% of the retailers, it doesn't mean they correspond to 80% of the total sales. The retailers they don't track might be much smaller than the other ones. They might also be bigger, the point is that we don't know which one's the case.

Yes, we don't know, but what we know for sure, that they are higher than GfK present, so if numbers are higher, why ioi lowered them? I think ioi jump to conclusion that GfK present 100 % of retailers, just like (probably) everyone else on this site.

So NPD which covers 60% of the market release half assed numbers?
Media-Create?
Famitsu?

Edit: Noone tracks 100% of the market, it's impossible... So they extrapolate. 

As others said, they're extrapolating.

If they're using a flat multiplier(numbers they receive/80%*100%) then their actual data reports 247,200 units sold. To get 386,250 units from that they'd have to assume the 20% of retailers they don't cover represents 36% of the market.

ok let me explain as best i can...
for argumen sake, lets say there are 100 stores that sell PS3 in Germany.

gFK get 80% of the market...  80 retailers out of 100 retailers.

lets say, in total 8,000 PS3 sell in total of those 80% (of retailers)

What GfK does is

8,000 / 80 = 100 units per store

100 Units per store x 100 stores (100%) = 10,000

GfK releases 10,000 (not 8,000) so in essence, extrapolates for the remaining 20%.

GfK numbers are for 100% of Germany... not 80%

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network
Issun said:
@Rath, Devilstation, erikers
Die GfK deckt mit ihren Zahlen zum Konsolenmarkt gut 80 Prozent aller Vertriebskanäle ab. Die tatsächlichen Verkäufe liegen daher etwas höher.

Where is this stated? The source? I speak German and this quote claims the German figures aren't scaled and in reality are a little higher.

Hasn't Sony said they already outsold the 360's total install base in Germany since a while ago? PS3 vs 360 software sales seems to make this likely.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Issun said:
wiifm said:
Issun said:
Die GfK deckt mit ihren Zahlen zum Konsolenmarkt gut 80 Prozent aller Vertriebskanäle ab. Die tatsächlichen Verkäufe liegen daher etwas höher.

This doesnt mean that they left out the missing 20 percent but most likely scaled their numbers based on their 80%

I have a strange feeling you do not speak German.

The quote you mentioned could make you believe that they just left out the 20 percent but do you really think that if they do a poll on 80 of 100 stores they give you the numbers for the 80 stores ? The way it is written just looks like the writer wants to make the numbers look brighter ....

Check out http://www.media-control.de/glossar.html#marktabdeckung if you want to know what they are talking about when it comes to market coverage. That "Die tatsächlichen Verkäufe liegen daher etwas höher." is no quote from Gfk but some made up bias by the author for sure.

alright so the PS3 sales dropped by 100.000 due the german market? Why didnt the 360 drop as much aswell?

both were about 100.00 too high then.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

MikeB said:
Issun said:

Where is this stated? The source? I speak German and this quote claims the German figures aren't scaled and in reality are a little higher.

Hasn't Sony said they already outsold the 360's total install base in Germany since a while ago? PS3 vs 360 software sales seems to make this likely.

Mmm i speak german too and i must agree, if you translate it tells you its not scaled up. The last bit literally means, The real numbers are a bit higher.

they track 80%but ten they extrapolate so they can give 100%

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"