By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft might get away with weak hardware and still sell well because of other stuff and that makes me sad...

Yep, just like the title. I have a feeling MS may do just fine in sales with superior marketing, superior online etc.

And that just sends completely the wrong message imo...it gives MS more reason to not focus on games, not care about power, etc. Not realizing any success they have comes in SPITE of those things, not BECAUSE of them...

Around the Network

Wii

If the X1's hardware is weak then what is the Wii U?

Yeah, Microsoft will probably still be very successful, cause that "other stuff" is hugely important in a console nowadays and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also not caring about having the most powerful console does in no way correlate with not caring about games, some of the best games of all time have released on hardware that was not the strongest in its respective generation.

maybe they will be successful even without the strongest hardware exactly because they do more for games this time? ever thought about that? at least i see that they do much more as last gen for own studios. you just have to look what they have opened the last few years only for xbox one.

and "strong online" isn't "not caring about games", it's pretty much the opposite if they give developers the opportunity to use dedicated servers for free.

and just because they invest hugeley in tv stuff doesn't mean that they have less money to spend on games. they invest in tv stuff to make more money which they can reinvest, not to lose money.

crissindahouse said:
maybe they will be successful even without the strongest hardware exactly because they do more for games this time? every thought about that? at least i see that they do much more as last gen for own studios. you just have to look what they have opened the last few years only for xbox one.

and "strong online" isn't "not caring about games", it's pretty much the opposite if they give developers the opportunity to use dedicated servers for free.

Of course good online is a good thing. I'm just saying I hope they dont get encouraged that weaker hardware is a irrelevant thing because it isn't.

Around the Network

hmm, This topic just screams "only buy PC"

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

I'm sorry but power isn't everything. You may not like these "other stuff" but a lot of people do. Just because people on forums hate Kinect/TV/Skype/etc doesn't mean everyone does.

On the contrary I hope it does sell well, people want more from what they buy.

First off, minor differences, not substantial.  Let's not stretch things more than they are or over react like people already have.

And i certainly dont think XBO will sell the most but I do want to show you this.

Wii - 100m sold
PS2 - 150m sold

Both were the weakest console.

fallen said:
crissindahouse said:
maybe they will be successful even without the strongest hardware exactly because they do more for games this time? every thought about that? at least i see that they do much more as last gen for own studios. you just have to look what they have opened the last few years only for xbox one.

Of course good online is a good thing. I'm just saying I hope they dont get encouraged that weaker hardware is a irrelevant thing because it isn't.

well, history did prove exactly that, the strongest hardware is not that important for consoles. maybe because people who really care about that (and don't only say it in console wars for bragging rights) are pc gamers so that there are not too many left who care for the strongest hardware for consoles. 

i would also like to see a stronger xbox one, that's for sure. i mean, i can't wait to see the next halo but i also know that it could be even crazier if xbox one would be at least as strong as the ps4...but that doesn't mean that microsoft will get the message that games aren't that important if they will be successful with a weaker hardware. no clue how you came to that conclusion. if the hardware is as strong as it is or as strong as ps4, they won't make less games because of that.

Everyone else might not have as good of an OS and marketing but they will have more in house titles. Its a trade off, why not have them all?