By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Any comparison pics of 480i and 480p.

Actually I just got off my butt and I'll take some pictures and/or a video for you to see.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Actually I just got off my butt and I'll take some pictures and/or a video for you to see.

Thank you

S-Video, while miles better than standard composite video, is still technically the same type of feed as composite. Ergo it does not support progressive scan and usually does not support widescreen (certainly I've heard of no TVs that can output an S-Video signal in widescreen, but I suppose it's possible). S-Video cables are sold for the Wii from third-party peripheral makers, as are component cables.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I found third party vga cables should I buy those. My tv supports vga. Is vga better than component.

yes, but you won't see the benefits with the Wii I think...component is your best bet I think.

I searched for more comparison pics but all I could find was more Zelda and a little Wii Sports. I wish I could see the difference in Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers, Metroid, Brawl, etc. I just got component cables a couple weeks ago, and it's noticeably better...it would be nice to see just how much better though hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

welll...let me go home and plug in prime and i will see if i can get some for ya guys

To explain further, the differences between the three types of analog cables are basically:

Composite: Simply dumps the entire signal on to one wire.

S-Video: Separates chroma and luma signals for a sharper picture.

Component: Separates the signal into its "component" colors (red, green, blue), each with unique chroma/luma settings. With the way EDTV/HDTV signals work, component is the only connection outside of a digital one that can transmit downconverted digital signals in a way that your EDTV or HDTV can understand. That means that, despite it being an analog signal, a component connection can be used to "instruct" your TV to display in progressive scan (480p), 16:9 widescreen, or - in the case of the Xbox 360 - 720p or 1080p.

Component isn't quite as good as HDMI at transmitting those instructions, though, because, as an analog signal, it's still susceptible to signal degradation and inexact transmissions. That's why MS decided to support HDMI in their newest iterations of the 360.

VGA is kind of a weird case, because it wasn't designed for use with anything other than a home computer. I wouldn't buy a VGA adapter for most systems, because what it actually is is a little box that converts the outputted signal to something that can be displayed through a VGA connection. In other words, it's trying to mold a square peg into a round hole, and the result is predictably awful. Signals from VGA converters usually suffer from washed-out colors and other such problems.

The sole exception is the Dreamcast, which actually includes support for VGA converters in its hardware. But even then, not all games display properly.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Component does look a lot better except for Wii Sports, it looks all pixelated.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Garcian Smith said:

VGA is kind of a weird case, because it wasn't designed for use with anything other than a home computer. I wouldn't buy a VGA adapter for most systems, because what it actually is is a little box that converts the outputted signal to something that can be displayed through a VGA connection. In other words, it's trying to mold a square peg into a round hole, and the result is predictably awful. Signals from VGA converters usually suffer from washed-out colors and other such problems.

The sole exception is the Dreamcast, which actually includes support for VGA converters in its hardware. But even then, not all games display properly.

The vga thing that I could buy is a regular cable. Its not  an adapter. I've seen pics and it doesn't downgrade anything. My tv supports vga. Here is a review http://www.wiinintendo.net/2007/10/31/vdigis-wii-vga-cable-review/  

Take these pictures as just a sense of how much better the colors look with component cables. The vertical bars are just an artifact of my crappy camera.

Needless to say, it looks much better in motion, especially with 480p, but you can at least see the difference in terms of colors. I didn't take a video because it's a CRT (as you probably know filming CRTs causes a scrolling bar moving up and down the screen). It's a 480p capable 32'' Philips CRT.

480i with composite cables:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2woxizk.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/miciup.jpg

480p with component cables:

http://i25.tinypic.com/wltxsm.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2czeu6h.jpg

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957