By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony explains why DualShock 4 dropped touchscreen

I hear nothing but praise for the PS4 controller so I guess they did it right. It took some getting used to but the Wii U's controllers are both fantastic, though.  Don't knock the Wii U touch screen/controller or the Pro Controller until you try 'em.

Around the Network

I would have preferred a touch screen. What can you use the touchpad for anyways?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Don't know, after having Wii U for nearly a year I miss the pad a lot when I play Xbox. It makes everything just easier.
Wii U spoiled me a lot.

it would be good for card games like poker or magic to play on,having a screen on the controller ,be good if they made specific controllers for these type of games as i quite like them

Above & Beyond

So instead......    yeah that makes it better   /sarcasm off

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:

So instead......    yeah that makes it better   /sarcasm off

Frankenstein lol.

This will never be used as a primary source of gameplay like with the Wii U though, Just a bonus small gimmick if you happen to have a smartphone and bother to download a companion app.

cbarroso09 said:
JoeTheBro said:

Good.

As vita gets cheaper over the years and the amount of casuals playing the system increases, it can take over and act as Sony's gamepad equivalent for those innovative titles.

cbarroso09 said:

So, they didn't have the balls to do something new. I mean, it's all about risk, they certainly can't take one more anymore. 

I can't help but feel you're only saying that because you love Nintendo.

First off the screen wouldn't be new since Nintendo already did it.

Secondly, they have a touchpad, got rid of the select button, added a share button, and replaced player numbers with player colors. That's a lot of risk.

I only love persons not objects. I said something new, it doesn't have to be like the gamepad at all. But watching the "nostalgia" TV ad from Playstation, I realized that the console hasn't changed at all, neither the games. Every PS hardware experience has been replaced by the next one because of that same thing I am saying, it is the same hardware with better technology. For the last 20 years, Playstation hardware has only changed from CD's to DVD's to Blu Rays to a small touch pad that so far hasn't been shown in action 1 month before it is launched. Not even a demo.

But if that is what gamers want they will open their wallets to buy the PS4. That is not bad, it doesn't have to be like I say. It is just my opinion, and i am not hating anything here. Just expressing my thoughts.

Changing from CDs to DVDs was a pretty big innovation. Dvds were still in their infancy and not that popular yet. Sony bet big on them and won. Hell, even using CDs on the PS1 was a massive risk considering all other CD based consoles flopped. The Blu-ray jump was less successful but payed off over time. The PS4 is probably the safest Playstation, but Sony has taken plenty of risks over the years. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

melbye said:
To bad. the WiiU-gamepad is the best controller since the Gamecube-controller

The Gamecube controller was considered good?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
melbye said:
To bad. the WiiU-gamepad is the best controller since the Gamecube-controller

The Gamecube controller was considered good?

of course! One of the best!

OP: I still want a touchscreen controller. Gamepad >>>>> all

Click HERE and be happy 

That was essentially a Vita as a controller, wouldnt be that practical but i do love the feel of the Vita.