By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Moderator announcement - The "Shoot, Kill and Dismember the messenger" attitude

Ponyless said:
RolStoppable said:
kowenicki said:
No, I was moderated because I reacted to some posters who decided THEY would derail a thread they didn't like. It was locked because it became unmanageable due to exactly what this thread is about. Shame you aren't privy to my wall, you are so far off its hilarious. You are displaying exactly the behaviour they are talking about. The thread was perfectly fine, no hyperbole, no sensationalism, no sly digs, just a thread with a video that later was a story on lots of sites. I'm not sorry your pals got banned, but deal with it better.  If you think that thread was ban worthy then your lack of comment or intervention on numerous previous threads is telling. Thanks.

Aw, I missed all the action and I can't access your profile. Will you please give me a link to the locked thread?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=170377

That was a messy thread. Why people can't just get along is beyond me.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Part of me feels like this is a good idea, but another part does not. Unless this means that we have broader latitude to shut down threads (and moderate such thread-makers) that have a negative tone in them, to stop this sort of thing before it happens?

I would rather that we had come down on the side trying to stop the FUD spreaders, rather than hurt the people who are just reacting to that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kane1389 said:
dallas said:

Oh thtop being so thenthative (with lisp).

~ Mod Edit ~

This user has been moderated by TruckOSaurus for this post.

What was bannable about this post? Bad spelling?

Seece is gay.

What if the site would be "invite-only" so only the selected ones would be able to join? That way the moderators would have a lot more control.

walsufnir said:
Max King of the Wild said:

The Kowenicki thread was pure flamebait. I don't think it was intentional on his end but if he chose a more accurate thread title which more closely associated with the OP I don't think he would have encountered the problems. The reactions were expected. That doesn't excuse the way the others acted. The right way to act would have just pointed out how it was flamebait and that it needed to be changed (which I did).

/thread

PS: How Tuscan didn't get banned in that thread after derailing it even further, calling out "the defense force" (yeah we know what he was saying), then acknowledging the post was flamebait/off topic/bannable is beyond me. Especially when considering that others in the thread were moderated for the exact same thing

This post is exactly why this thread exists. There is no "good" or "bad" side. And you are pointing out users here. Man, these console wars...

What the fuck are you talking about? I never said anything about good or bad sides but you put them in quotes while responding to me so I assume you are quoting something I never said... Also, what does a flamebait thread have to do with console wars?

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
Seece said:
Good stuff, people shouldn't get worked up about it.

I do think users (from any "faction") that post negative news for a company they obviously don't like, quite often, should be told to cut it out.

if the news is obviously false most of the time, yes. but if news is true, then no. are we being told what we can and cannot talk about now because of our gaming prefrences? moderations are there to take out the offensive posts from the forum, what you are suggesting is that moderaters can chose what we can and cannot talk about. are you fucking serious? 

It isnt what it is stating at all.  It just means dont go off topic and call users out for their posting habits or call them biased just because the thread/comment is negative.  Comments should always stay on topic and by calling people out it leads to arguments when it could have easily been avoided.  Private message that person or talk to a mod about it. Plus they have a report button as well.

i agree. but he said that if i, for example, a sony fan, post negative news about lets say xbox one constantly i should be told to cut it out.  what i am saying is that if i keep posting false news or obviously wrong news, then yes. but if i post true news and actual news that is negative then no, i certainly shouldnt have to "cut it out". i can post what ever i want, negative or not. negativity isnt breaking the rules, what he is suggesting that it should be. 

Imaginedvl said:
bananaking21 said:
Seece said:

I do think users (from any "faction") that post negative news for a company they obviously don't like, quite often, should be told to cut it out.

if the news is obviously false most of the time, yes. but if news is true, then no. are we being told what we can and cannot talk about now because of our gaming prefrences? moderations are there to take out the offensive posts from the forum, what you are suggesting is that moderaters can chose what we can and cannot talk about. are you fucking serious? 

No, this is not what he is saying, he is just saying that it is obvious that some people are almost looking for negative news all over the internet to post the here with annoying comments to antagonize others... So yah it seems to be "fucking" logic to me to ask those users to slack a bit (nobody said to prevent them for posting)...

you do realize what you are saying is exactly the opposite of the OP, right?. if a user keeps posting negative posts its his right. he should only be moderated or told to stop if the news is wrong and its obviously flamebait.

dont shoot the messenger, who ever made the OP doesnt matter, just because somebody who doesnt have the same prefrence as you made a thread that post negative news doesnt mean he should be moderated. again, dont shoot the messenger because he brought you news you do not like. 

kowenicki said:
Mr Khan said:
Part of me feels like this is a good idea, but another part does not. Unless this means that we have broader latitude to shut down threads (and moderate such thread-makers) that have a negative tone in them, to stop this sort of thing before it happens?

I would rather that we had come down on the side trying to stop the FUD spreaders, rather than hurt the people who are just reacting to that.

One mans FUD....

Not referring to your thread in this instance. It seemed to be a simple observation of one of what will inevitably be a host of post-launch bugs, which fits with Trucks' "stick to the facts" requirement. There are many others that are more insidious in tone.

Mr Khan said:

You are right. Why only go after the reaction and not the cause. Threads starters should be held to a better standards in this place, too many crappy ones, straight up neogaf copy, negative and Fud spreaders. It's simply not fun anymore. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Seece said:

Completely agree with this. If someone wants to post every tiny piece of good news about whichever company they have a hard on for, fine. But doing the reverse for a company that person quite obviously doesn't like should be treated as flamebating (because that's exactly what it is).