By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - nVidia G-Sync Technology unveiled

Around the Network

Killer tech... I want that in HDTVs too.

There are any info that you need to use GeForce GPU? Can I use my PS4 in a monitor with G-Sync and works?

Great. Now my monitor is out dated too. Thanks Nvidia!

green_sky said:
Great. Now my monitor is out dated too. Thanks Nvidia!

Can we add monitor to min/recomended specs?

CGI-Quality said:

It's specific to Keplar cards, so no, I don't think it will work with consoles or AMD parts.

Evil nVidia

Around the Network

Typical of nVidia to release proprietary tech into a hugely fragmented market.

Unless this opens out to more manufacturers, cards etc., this won't take off.

As I see it mantle improves the lower end performance of everything and this is more about convenience for the higher end setups So this is really not something I will propably never require. I dont really buy expensive monitors or setups that run well above 60FPS anyways. :P

I suppose it's worth more to the enthusiast market, though

This'll be great for 3rd person adventures and other games which don't require 60FPS. Sounds like you can crank up the eye candy on less powerful hardware and have a tear-free experience at 30-40 FPS. I can't wait.

CGI-Quality said:
Scoobes said:

In fairness, Mantle isn't open either. I know one is an API, but both sides do it. Makes sense from a competitive standpoint, but I agree that it is a little annoying.

I suspect Mantle is just something that made sense after the work done on consoles. On the other hand, nVidia have a habit of using proprietary tech or even giving the illusion of proprietary tech (see Tegra 3 specific features... even though other mobile GPUs were far more capable).

The problem IMO is that it doesn't really seem to have much of a positive effect for nVidia. I don't know anyone that's actively sought out a Tegra device (and most major devices use alternative chips so manufacturers are hardly on board), and stuff like physX got poor support (as a result of being proprietary and only useful for half the market) making it a redundant selling point.

Scoobes said:
CGI-Quality said:
Scoobes said:

In fairness, Mantle isn't open either. I know one is an API, but both sides do it. Makes sense from a competitive standpoint, but I agree that it is a little annoying.

I suspect Mantle is just something that made sense after the work done on consoles. On the other hand, nVidia have a habit of using proprietary tech or even giving the illusion of proprietary tech (see Tegra 3 specific features... even though other mobile GPUs were far more capable).

The problem IMO is that it doesn't really seem to have much of a positive effect for nVidia. I don't know anyone that's actively sought out a Tegra device (and most major devices use alternative chips so manufacturers are hardly on board), and stuff like physX got poor support (as a result of being proprietary and only useful for half the market) making it a redundant selling point.

A lot of games use the base PhysX library since it's still a very capable SDK even if you don't use the advanced effects, the business decision for GPU acceleration being only available on their cards without hacks is shitty but they do own it so they can do it as they see fit I guess. The advantage of Tegra 3 to 4 are as usual their software engineering and that extra die that can do HDR photo and video in real time. What would be really sad to see is if PhysX effects being better on consoles than AMD cards in PCs in the future if PhysX GPU acceleration is allowed in the console SDKs lol.... That'd fuck up AMD business even more on the PC side due to PC gamer ego.