By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita, what's it going to take?

Bring GTA San Andreas Stories and maybe a Monster Hunter that will help, and plus price isn't really a problem over here earlier I saw a bundle with 2 games and an 8GB memory card for £140

Around the Network
Salnax said:
Sony would have to devote at least as much work to making the Vita a success as they did with the PS3 and the PS4. Even during the PS3's slow start in 2007, Sony released a dozen games for the platform, including major titles like Uncharted and Ratchett & Clank. And ever since then, Sony's generally release 10 to 12 games for consoles per year. And they are usually at least mid-budget affairs.

In 2013, Sony is releasing a mere 8 Vita games. Which doesn't sound so bad, except that these include ports like Epic Mickey 2, and a buggy version of the Jak & Daxter HD collection. Only Killzone, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice can be considered major efforts on their part. And even Soul Sacrifice was only published, not developed, by Sony. In contrast, Nintendo is releasing 11 3DS games in 2013, including Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing (in the West), and Mario Party. That's a good portion of Nintendo's biggest series, not to mention some of the biggest series period, in one year.

Other things can help the Vita. Indie support looks promising, and Japan's migration from the PSP can lead to a fair supply of Japanese style exclusives. Plus, as Persona 4 shows, even older PlayStation ports have a chance on the platform. But without strong first party support, the Vita will never reach PSP levels of success.

It was developed by Marvelous AQL and Japan Studios (Sony). 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Its not Vita LCD, its slim Vita. Its slimer and weighs less (the OG Vita can weigh on your hands if you play for some time laying down). It also has 1G internal memory so a memory card is not necessary for playing. Yeah... the colors are a bit brighter, but thats about it.
If i had the choice i would get the new model instead.

I think the new model will definitly help sales as it comes out cheaper (not requiring a memory card). PS Vita TV will probably help aswell. I''m optimistic in general, but things do look difficult on the US. There seems to be a iphone/ipad fever i dont quite understand. They are completely unsuited for gaming.

Only a change in gaming philosophy can save the vita. Right now, all is has is dumbed down console ports so why not just get a console instead. There lies the problem.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

They need one thing and one thing only family friendly games.

I love me some killzone, assassins creed, and uncharted but people who buy handhelds are typically parents getting one for their kid and the Japanese.

3DS has nothing but family friendly and Japanese friendly games. Mario, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts.

For Sony to make the Vita a success it needs to go back to the original PSX. Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape all very family friendly. I mean come on Rugrats sold 3 million plus on the system.

Sony needs a big time family franchise other than Littlebigplanet, they also would really benefit from some big time Japanese games Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and resident evil are all viable options.

Add in a big time game like Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto or an actual good Call of Duty and the system would also pick up.

But most important is being more family friendly

Around the Network
SnakeDrake said:
Salnax said:
Sony would have to devote at least as much work to making the Vita a success as they did with the PS3 and the PS4. Even during the PS3's slow start in 2007, Sony released a dozen games for the platform, including major titles like Uncharted and Ratchett & Clank. And ever since then, Sony's generally release 10 to 12 games for consoles per year. And they are usually at least mid-budget affairs.

In 2013, Sony is releasing a mere 8 Vita games. Which doesn't sound so bad, except that these include ports like Epic Mickey 2, and a buggy version of the Jak & Daxter HD collection. Only Killzone, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice can be considered major efforts on their part. And even Soul Sacrifice was only published, not developed, by Sony. In contrast, Nintendo is releasing 11 3DS games in 2013, including Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing (in the West), and Mario Party. That's a good portion of Nintendo's biggest series, not to mention some of the biggest series period, in one year.

Other things can help the Vita. Indie support looks promising, and Japan's migration from the PSP can lead to a fair supply of Japanese style exclusives. Plus, as Persona 4 shows, even older PlayStation ports have a chance on the platform. But without strong first party support, the Vita will never reach PSP levels of success.

It was developed by Marvelous AQL and Japan Studios (Sony). 

Ah, my mistake.

That said, the basic problem remains. Sony isonly releasing three notable Vita games in 2013, in contrast to the PS3's four or five (Ratchett & Clank, God of War, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and Gran Turismo 6) and even a pair of major PS4 exclusives (Knack and Killzone).

Love and tolerate.

They need to fund an exclusive from a big fan favorite series like Metal Gear, GTA, Final Fantasy, etc etc etc. It's really that simple.

They had the right idea with CoD even, just terrible execution.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
BinaryDelt said:
I really don't think Vita is the problem, it's the perception it has with gamers. There are plenty of great games and it's an awesome piece of hardware. I love my Vita. I play it all the time. I'm pretty convinced that any hardcore gamer that spent a full day experiencing all the Vita has to offer would want one. I understand the reality though is for the Vita to be a success, it needs mainstream appeal.

1. Get PS4 Remote Play working exceptionally well.
2. Advertise to people that they can play their Call of Duty and Madden multiplayer from their PS4 remotely on their Vita anywhere they have WiFi.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Disclaimer - I'm not a Call of Duty or Madden gamer, but I know that's what the brasuals (bro casuals) like to play.

Wait, is Sony planning to do something like #2? Or is that something you're recommending it does?

Theoretically if PS4 Remote Play with Vita works as advertised, #2 would work.

BinaryDelt said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
BinaryDelt said:
I really don't think Vita is the problem, it's the perception it has with gamers. There are plenty of great games and it's an awesome piece of hardware. I love my Vita. I play it all the time. I'm pretty convinced that any hardcore gamer that spent a full day experiencing all the Vita has to offer would want one. I understand the reality though is for the Vita to be a success, it needs mainstream appeal.

1. Get PS4 Remote Play working exceptionally well.
2. Advertise to people that they can play their Call of Duty and Madden multiplayer from their PS4 remotely on their Vita anywhere they have WiFi.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Disclaimer - I'm not a Call of Duty or Madden gamer, but I know that's what the brasuals (bro casuals) like to play.

Wait, is Sony planning to do something like #2? Or is that something you're recommending it does?

Theoretically if PS4 Remote Play with Vita works as advertised, #2 would work.

That would be awesome. You could power up your Vita on a train or bus and pick up where you left off on PS4. Very cool.

I think Sony is trying to focus too much on bringing the console type of games to a handheld device and it's just not going to work. They have to find that game that caters to the handheld experience. They need an IP that is fun, addictive, kid friendly, and with great replay value. It doesn't even have to be a very deep game, just something that will make kids go back and play for hours.

At the end of he day, kids will be the majority that play handhelds. Sony can't expect a handheld to move hardware when Killzone Mercenary is your big gun in the West. Just wont happen.