By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vita, what's it going to take?

With the upcoming release of PS4, and the plans to integrate Vita with it to be able to play games in 'Away Mode' it hardly seems that Sony is abandoning the handheld.  But, in a week or two, if sales stay the same, lifetime Wii U sales will pass lifetime Vita sales in America.   This isn't a great sign, since neither machine is doing wonderfully.  What is it going to take to really get Vita to have some pop in America?  Do you think that the PS4 off-screen gaming will help?  

I'm not trying to signal doom and gloom, definitely don't think its that bad, just want some honest opinions on what can turn this thing around. 

Around the Network

1. Really well done integration with ps4
2. Software investment.
3. Monster Hunter
4. This new model being much more affordable.

Sony would have to devote at least as much work to making the Vita a success as they did with the PS3 and the PS4. Even during the PS3's slow start in 2007, Sony released a dozen games for the platform, including major titles like Uncharted and Ratchett & Clank. And ever since then, Sony's generally release 10 to 12 games for consoles per year. And they are usually at least mid-budget affairs.

In 2013, Sony is releasing a mere 8 Vita games. Which doesn't sound so bad, except that these include ports like Epic Mickey 2, and a buggy version of the Jak & Daxter HD collection. Only Killzone, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice can be considered major efforts on their part. And even Soul Sacrifice was only published, not developed, by Sony. In contrast, Nintendo is releasing 11 3DS games in 2013, including Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing (in the West), and Mario Party. That's a good portion of Nintendo's biggest series, not to mention some of the biggest series period, in one year.

Other things can help the Vita. Indie support looks promising, and Japan's migration from the PSP can lead to a fair supply of Japanese style exclusives. Plus, as Persona 4 shows, even older PlayStation ports have a chance on the platform. But without strong first party support, the Vita will never reach PSP levels of success.

Love and tolerate.

1. pushing down memory prices further
2. advertising the lower price of the console
3. advertising the games that are coming out (killzone was a wasted opportunity)
4. announce some AAA exclusive games to rebuild some confidence in the console

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

Well, most people complained that the memory cards are too expensive, so maybe if that problem were fixed then that could be a good start. Other than that, bring on the games, try and get that price point near the 2/3DS's price point as soon as possible.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network

I really don't think Vita is the problem, it's the perception it has with gamers. There are plenty of great games and it's an awesome piece of hardware. I love my Vita. I play it all the time. I'm pretty convinced that any hardcore gamer that spent a full day experiencing all the Vita has to offer would want one. I understand the reality though is for the Vita to be a success, it needs mainstream appeal.

1. Get PS4 Remote Play working exceptionally well.
2. Advertise to people that they can play their Call of Duty and Madden multiplayer from their PS4 remotely on their Vita anywhere they have WiFi.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Disclaimer - I'm not a Call of Duty or Madden gamer, but I know that's what the brasuals (bro casuals) like to play.

BinaryDelt said:
I really don't think Vita is the problem, it's the perception it has with gamers. There are plenty of great games and it's an awesome piece of hardware. I love my Vita. I play it all the time. I'm pretty convinced that any hardcore gamer that spent a full day experiencing all the Vita has to offer would want one. I understand the reality though is for the Vita to be a success, it needs mainstream appeal.

1. Get PS4 Remote Play working exceptionally well.
2. Advertise to people that they can play their Call of Duty and Madden multiplayer from their PS4 remotely on their Vita anywhere they have WiFi.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Disclaimer - I'm not a Call of Duty or Madden gamer, but I know that's what the brasuals (bro casuals) like to play.

Wait, is Sony planning to do something like #2? Or is that something you're recommending it does?

Starting from scratch with a new model that is more affordable would most likely help them.

And also getting some mass-consumable games on their platform... that would be very helpful.

Games.

This year the West gets just 2 AAA games!! Killzone and Tearaway. Seriously, you can't have high hopes and expectations if you offer only 2 big games a year! This is the worst support in Sony's history. And yes, I don't include Soul Sacrifice as a AAA game, cause it's a hunting game, so may be big in Japan, but for the West it's just an ok game that has zero chances of moving hardware.

Sony needs to give us 8-10 big AAA first party games per year on top of indies, PS2 HD ports. They have to order their biggest studios to start working on Vita games (wtf are they thinking allowing Naughty Dog and Santa Monica ignore the platform!? What should people buy it for, if they know the best guys in the business won't even touch the platform?). Additionally, they have to get exclusive AAA 3rd party games (GTA San Andreas Stories, TES, Witcher, Mass Effect, another CoD and Assassin's Creed) - no matter how much they would cost. This alone would make Vita fly off the shelves.

When it comes to prices, Sony should go for this model:
$99 - Vita.tv
$149 - Vita LCD
$199 - Vita OLED
They should introduce the 64 GB and 128 GB cards and try to keep the prices as low (128 GB could cost the same as 32 GB does now).

Oh, and it needs to start advertising it. To keep it short - it has to start caring about it the way it does about PS3. If Sony give Vita the same love and support it gave PS3 in 2013, it will be successful and sell big numbers in the West.

I have some very bad feelings about Remote Play. It may move some hardware, but I feel it will kill software support.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

theprof00 said:
1. Really well done integration with ps4
2. Software investment.
3. Monster Hunter
4. This new model being much more affordable.

Op asked for America this series wont help much over there more likely GTA, GT or even a original Final Fantasy game would do it. 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share