By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2013 NPD Thread! - PS3 > 360 (GTAV = system seller), Wii U: ~91k

Why was GTA V adjusted down?

Edit: Wait why are people saying its not bigger than COD...if that's true than it sold a SHIT LOAD in Europe which I find slightly hard to believe.

Around the Network

GTA was adjusted down because NPD said it sold 7 millions copies and not the 11 millions VGchartz had.

Max King of the Wild said:
Lucas-Rio said:
those GTA5 numbers don't make sense honestly. Only 7mil in USA, it's biggest market, when it broke sales records ($800m first day and $1b weekend) for the largest media opening ever. It had to have moved at least that many in it's first weekend and then has another 2 weeks.

LOL at you buying the $$$ figures thrown around. It was probably the total value of the copies shipped or produced.

No way GTAV would have sold 175.5 millions FW in the world. No game can do that.

LOL at you ignoring the $$$ figures. We know that GTA5 tripled its FW sales in Japan. We know that GTA5 was HUGE. Retailers would have to order $800m dollars worth of copies. That only would have happened if there were signs it was going to be huge. BTW - $1b in a weekend would only be like 14.5m. No clue where you got 175.5.

17.5 millions is the original number of Vgchartz.

By the way we KNOW now as a fact that GTAV sold 7 millions in September in USA.

Lucas-Rio said:
Lucas-Rio said:
those GTA5 numbers don't make sense honestly. Only 7mil in USA, it's biggest market, when it broke sales records ($800m first day and $1b weekend) for the largest media opening ever. It had to have moved at least that many in it's first weekend and then has another 2 weeks.

LOL at you buying the $$$ figures thrown around. It was probably the total value of the copies shipped or produced.

No way GTAV would have sold 175.5 millions FW in the world. No game can do that.

LOL at you ignoring the $$$ figures. We know that GTA5 tripled its FW sales in Japan. We know that GTA5 was HUGE. Retailers would have to order $800m dollars worth of copies. That only would have happened if there were signs it was going to be huge. BTW - $1b in a weekend would only be like 14.5m. No clue where you got 175.5.

Okay, I never said VGC was right. Only that 7mil isnt

Oh really? Point me to the undisputable evidence.

Lucas-Rio said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Proof are NPD numbers. You are in denial, all the market use them.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Proof are NPD numbers. You are in denial, all the market use them.

Oh really? and where are those NPD numbers? Do you pay to get them? If so, give us a scan/screen shot of them. I've always been curious to see them

dsage01 said:

Why was GTA V adjusted down?

Edit: Wait why are people saying its not bigger than COD...if that's true than it sold a SHIT LOAD in Europe which I find slightly hard to believe.

European game selling shitloads in Europe? What's hard to believe?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

the_dengle said:

Hmm. NPD shows growth in average weekly 3DS hardware sales over August. The 3DS's two biggest releases this month came at the end, and combined for fewer than 30k sales. Last month it had Mario & Luigi, which sold over 100k. I suppose the Pokemon models may have played a part, but August saw the release of a new 3DS model as well (the Black XL), so that shouldn't cause too big of a discrepancy.

So... 3DS sales increased this month despite having no major new releases, and facing competition from the biggest release of the year... scratch that, the biggest release in the history of entertainment. That's pretty impressive!

September> August for most consoles on a weekly basis. Yeah it is normal. I do not think PS3 or 360 numbers matter much to 3DS numbers. Largely different markets. Heck even a few people bought vitas on pokemon week with very little games, while barely anyone bought PS3s in japan on a good GTA V week.

I'm around to do this this month, so here we go...

VGChartz

Farsala said:
the_dengle said:

Hmm. NPD shows growth in average weekly 3DS hardware sales over August. The 3DS's two biggest releases this month came at the end, and combined for fewer than 30k sales. Last month it had Mario & Luigi, which sold over 100k. I suppose the Pokemon models may have played a part, but August saw the release of a new 3DS model as well (the Black XL), so that shouldn't cause too big of a discrepancy.

So... 3DS sales increased this month despite having no major new releases, and facing competition from the biggest release of the year... scratch that, the biggest release in the history of entertainment. That's pretty impressive!

September> August for most consoles on a weekly basis. Yeah it is normal. I do not think PS3 or 360 numbers matter much to 3DS numbers. Largely different markets. Heck even a few people bought vitas on pokemon week with very little games, while barely anyone bought PS3s in japan on a good GTA V week.

GTA was a monster. You can't talk about any part of the industry in September without bringing it up. It may be normal for sales to increase in September, but the cycle feeds itself. Look at September releases compared to August releases. That's why sales increase in September, and sales increase in September, which is why companies release big games in that month. The 3DS had no major releases the whole 5 weeks and heavy competition from, yes, GTA (surely the biggest opening in the history of entertainment was competition not just for other consoles and games but all forms of entertainment including films, television, and of course the 3DS). So normal or not, I consider its significant weekly increase impressive.

By the way to people arguing about GTA sales, NPD is very reputable for retail sales, and if I recall correctly, GTA was a big hit digitally, which could account for the discrepancy.