By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetric VS. Asymmetric Sticks: the final battle

Look at the poll of Symmetric vs asymmetric controller: http://gamerant.com/ps4-controller-symmetric-stick-layout-design/

"What controller stick layout do you prefer?

Symmetric/Parallel (PS3/PS4) (71%, 5,142 Votes)
Asymmetic/offset (Xbox 360/Xbox One) (29%, 2,102 Votes)

Total Voters: 7,244"

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network

Symmetrical- because I just think it looks a lot tidier and complements the overall design more.

Symmetrical, feels more natural

Symmetrical. It's all about the weight balance. Asymmetrical just doesn't make any sense to me because you throw off the controller's center by having a player hold it differently on each side of the controller. Plus, it's like having a girlfriend with lopsided boobs. It's just not normal.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

nightsurge said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
nnodley said:

Yeah in a fixed camera game like god of war, but in pretty much every game I play I keep my thumbs on both analog sticks(dualshock).  Not too many games I play have a fixed camera.

Yeah the thing is the lack of having to over extend your thumbs in an awkward position.

Consider this for a minute. When you hold out your hands in front of you as if you were grasping something, your thumbs naturally point upwards (towards the top of a controller). When holding a DS controller, however, your thumbs are slanted to the left and curled in an awkward and uncomfortable way. The only reason the right thumstick stays down when the left one stays up is because buttons are used and are more dominant on the right side, where as the d-bad is usually secondary on to the thumstick on the left.

My thumbs point either perpendicular to the rest of my hand or slightly downwards. Probably because I played sports that require you to catch a ball when I was a kid. And getting into fights.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:

Look at the poll of Symmetric vs asymmetric controller: http://gamerant.com/ps4-controller-symmetric-stick-layout-design/

"What controller stick layout do you prefer?

Symmetric/Parallel (PS3/PS4) (71%, 5,142 Votes)
Asymmetic/offset (Xbox 360/Xbox One) (29%, 2,102 Votes)

Total Voters: 7,244"

This thread isn't really about how many people prefer one over the other, but more of a catalog of people's opinions before they experience next gen controllers.

Nintendo fan here. Asymmetrical is the way to go. It is more ergonomic that way. When you wrap your hand around the controller, your thumbs naturally fall at the top of the controller. That is why the buttons on the right are near the top in nearly all configurations. And it is why the stick on the left should be at the top.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

But the shape over extends the thumb in a strange manner that way . It works on the GCN because its smaller(has bigger buttons) and it grasps full in your hand&palms

I can play both ways but prefer asymmetrical because it fits in the layout of the 360-controller which has more benefits. I always thought the analogs from DS to be too "unstiff".

Symmetrical sticks since I've always been playing with them throughout my life. Whenever I play with a controller with asymmetric sticks, it just feels not natural and takes a lot more effort. Basically, symmetric sticks are both logically correct and ergonomically correct.

We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in.