By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ahh, now I understand.

Supreme Commander sounds like a game I would have really enjoyed years ago, when I had the energy to commit. I watched some videos and I don't think I can handle it. So much going on. I like simplicity and balance.

Universe at War require Live to play online... riiiiiiight. Not happening.

World in Conflict is great play style for me, but doesn't have resources.

Really tough choices. Guess I'll still be playing AoM.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

pc gaming is very good,the only problem is it costs so much when you have to upgrade your rig

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

wiiforever said:
^well i guess but fun comes with actually hitting something - not missing

True. That's why i think Wii Remote is the second best option. Nothing beats shooting with assault rifle. Except maybe shooting with cannon or greanade launcher. I wouln't want to start arguing about this matter, but last week i played Portal on PC with my wifes sisters son. Game itself was pretty fun and interesting, but it had crappy controls. The game would have been a lot better and a lot more enjoyable if it could have been controlled like Metroid Prime 3.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I used to be a PC gamer in the late '90s/early '00s, back when the PC got all of the good western RPGs and FPSs as exclusives. Nowadays, I've switched to a Mac, which doesn't exactly support many PC games, but that's okay. There hasn't been a single PC exclusive in years that I've been tempted to play, outside of HL2 and its episodes (which, of course, just came out on consoles via the Orange Box.)

The way I see it, using OSX for work and consoles for play is the best of both worlds. I get to play all of the good games I want to play, and I don't have to deal with using Windows anymore. :)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

If you are looking for strategy games and have played stuff like Age of Empires and Dawn of War, I would suggest ignoring Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes and World in Conflict as they are basically just souped up versions of the standard RTS formula that has barely changed since Dune 2.

Check out Medieval 2: Total War and Darwinia instead. They really stand apart from the crowd as their mechanics don't revolve around the usual resource management and barracks building tedium that you've probably already played a thousand times before. Empire: Total War will also be out in 2008 with a bit of luck.

And congratulations for (re)joining the fold.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
veiam said:
The Orange Box is a great game pack to pick up but if you need recommendations here are mine:

-Bioshock (SO much easier to play than with a controller) Agreed, it's awesome, though the ending sucks
-Warcraft 3 and The Frozen Throne (Amazing RTS games) Starcraft is better, and SC2 coming soon
-World of Warcraft (I didn't like it much but it's still an amazing RPG as far as RPGs go) Only play if you are ready to give up on having a social life
-Unreal Tournament 2004 (by far the most refined and overall perfect online MP FPS you can pick up, don't listen to all the COD4,BF, CS junkies :)) Eh, I'm not big on UT, but if you do like UT, 2004 is the best of them
-Civilization 4 Civ 2 is much better

With those simple 5 games you more or less cover the major areas in PC gaming quite well.

I would agree that SC is better than WC3 if only it weren't for the set damage/armor reduction in SC. That alone allows people to make the most retarded strategies. I will admit even I'm guilty of some tricks like the 2 zealots and a probe annihilating an entire army of zerglings on a ramp, but that doesn't mean it's good gameplay. But yes it is balanced.  

naznatips said:
veiam said:

-Civilization 4 Civ 2 is much better

It took me some time to get used to it but Civilization 4 is the best in the series for me. The game is much better now with Beyond the Sword than it was at launch.

As for other games, there are a lot of excellent racing games on the PC. I would suggest Race 07 which is great with a racing wheel.

I don't understand how the Civilization games work. Perhaps they're just not my style.

I'd love to get into high-end PC gaming. But, well... http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=16958#end

I have a special place in my heart for PC gaming. I kinda go through phases. For a period of time (like 6 months to 2 years) I'll be more focused on Console gaming and enjoy it more, and then I'll swap and go through periods of time that I prefer PC gaming.

Though, as much as I like FPS games on both systems, I really find PC FPS no comparison to playing FPS on the console. Playing FPS games on the console is far superior to me.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)