By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ahh, now I understand.

Welcome, brother :P

PC > All

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network

PC's that are good enought to play games at top quality cost thousands of dollars.

Sqrl said:
veiam said:
Actually, if you now where to look you can build a PC that runs Crysis minimally in about $500. I believe that's under the launch price of the PS3. As I said in another thread, if consoles keep getting more and more expensive, then I don't see the need for consoles to even exist since the PC can do everything better ( maybe not fihgting games or anything that requires anything more than 3 KBD presses at a time).

Actually gamepads can be used for fighters. It would be pretty easy to do if devs would put a little work into assisting with the programming of controls and pre-build some profiles etc...

@WiiForever,

$60 - Mobo ($6.33 Shipping)
$60 - Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (Free Shipping)
$70 - eVGA 8600GT 256MB DDR3 (Free Shipping, $30 MIR included in price)
$75 - 320GB SATA HDD ($6.13 Shipping)
$23 - CD/DVD SATA Burner ($5.84 Shipping)
$7 - Floppy Drive ($4.99 Shipping)
$35 - Case ($14.99 Shipping)
$13 - *500W RAIDMAX PSU ($7.31 Shipping $25 MIR included in price)
$36 - A-DATA 2GB DDR2 800 CAS 5(Free Shipping, $10 MIR included in price)

* = Special Deal, limited time

Hardware price.........~$397.00
Shipping Costs..........~**$46.00
Total......................~$443.00

**These shipping costs are based on seperate ordering, if all parts are ordered at once you will save a fair amount. When I checked my address it saved me $16.

If you neex another XP SP2 license (which you probably don't) you can get it here.

A good LCD monitor would run you another $150-$200 or so.

That rig won't blow Crysis away but you should get a good mixture of medium and high settings out of the box.

Oh, snap.  Remember you can always use your old key board, mouse, etc.  And most off the shelf pc's have slots for ram and PCI-EX16...  You can upgrade your current system to be a good games system for less than
$150

(Was that good?  That was my first time.)

VenfolderVGI said:

Issues with PC gaming are:

1. Lack of Plug and Play gaming

Don't care about this personally, but I see why others care.  It isn't hard to learn, but it can be intimidating and will hold back PC's

2. Requsite seating position requirements due to interface and screen size limitations.

Many flat screens have DVI inputs now or some GPUs have HDMI/VGA/Component output.  I know people who Sit at the couch with a Keyboard and Mouse Tray or a controller and play on their HDTVs.  Satuday I was at a lan party, playing Battlefield 2, each commander was at a set up like this.

3. Distinct lack of Japanese style games compared to consoles.

Yeah. There are some, but you are mostly right.  Lost Planet, Resident Evil 4 (probably 5), Final Fantasy XI (New MMO).   There are some really good ones, but not many.

4. Ease of pirating software makes development on the system often less than profitable, and in some cases, can ruin a company. 

Then buy a PC and support developers. :)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

PC gaming is great. I love it. However, there are no games like Metroid Prime on the PC. Classifying it as a FPS is a common misconception. It's an adverture game from a first person perspective that relies heavily on puzzle solving, exploration, and enviromental immersion. It's like Zelda in first person mode, but you can turn into a ball, lol.

Still, Metroid Prime as the exception, the PC owns the First Person genre.

Issues with PC gaming are:

1. Lack of Plug and Play gaming

2. Requsite seating position requirements due to interface and screen size limitations.

3. Distinct lack of Japanese style games compared to consoles.

4. Ease of pirating software makes development on the system often less than profitable, and in some cases, can ruin a company.

Of course, these are far outweighed by its strengths, but those reasons, many people choose to develop and play consoles more than their PC's, or perhaps exclusively, compared to their PC's.

I prefer the choices we have available, as I game on PC, and all Consoles, even last gen ones and handhelds. That way, you don't miss the good stuff, and avoid the filler.

1) Don't worry, with consoles now requiring installs and patches, they soon will be losing this advantage.

2) Any modern PC can be connected to any Modern TV with ease. Add in a wireless keyboard and mouse, or a 360 controller if you'd prefer, and you've got yourself a full blown media centre for your home theater.

3) I'll give you this one.

4) I've always found pirating console games much easier. Sure there is the overhead of getting it modded, but once that is done its just "Plug and Play" (see point 1 :P). PC games on the otherhand require new cracks for each update, or images to be stored on the hdd.

Don't get me wrong, PC gaming still has its disadvantages to consoles and vice versa, but the gap between them is becoming smaller. 

Welcome to the club steven. Add PC gamer to your sig, since you are now among the proud elite! (No, I don't really think PC gamers are elite). Got a Steam ID yet?

Around the Network

Oh, and since we seem to have assembled all the site's PC gamers in this topic, be sure to check out Audiosurf.

I gotta get on steam, but I have been really busy playing single player Crysis and Bioshock. I have it downloaded, but I don't think I registered yet.

Edit: I am sloth787 on EANation and stevenjazz787 on Gamespy.

steven787 said:
I gotta get on steam, but I have been really busy playing single player Crysis and Bioshock. I have it downloaded, but I don't think I registered yet.

I'm not big on Crysis. It was gorgeous, but extremely generic. It was far more linear than they tried to tell us it was. Go to Korean camp, kill people or sneak through, repeat ad nauseum. Kill some aliens at the end. The dialogue and plot was so awful it was comical. It's too bad those great graphics and physics couldn't have been in a good game. Anyway, if you didn't play it on your consoles, be sure to get CoD4 (You and I can play online some!). Of course The Orange Box is a must buy.

Nothing beats a keyboard and mouse. I gave up playing any shooters on my computer when I bought my PS3, because I am trying to force myself to adjust to a controller. It's going okay I guess, but it just can't compete with the PC.

That is really my problem right now. Too many games.

I wanna get:

COD4
Orange Box
Universe at War
World in Conflict

I am also considering:
The Witcher
Sins of a Solar Empire
The new Dawn of War expansion, but I need to rebuy the originals, I lost my discs.
(I don't do Piracy)

Then there are all the games coming out.
Warhammer Online and Conan being the biggest conundrum.

Just too many games (plus my Wii and DS too)