By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Microsoft were to vanish in the gaming industry, would you...

I'd probably not bother much, Sony should follow the same and release their games on steam

Around the Network

i would care as less bout them as i do now

I would remember them for 2 RRODs.

Nintendo and PC gamer

I think if MS stopped pursuing a spot in the gaming industry, then I'd simply enjoy the memories I have of them. It's not like the industry would collapse on itself or something. As for where they'd go next, my first thought is a mixture of PC and sony consoles. I don't see many going toward nintendo products to replace their xbox. Most Sony and Nintendo fans would simply go to the next thing that fits their taste as well, if either went out of business or simply stopped pursuing a role in the gaming industry for some reason.

triggers
hard-drives
arcade games
indie games
assymetric joysticks
kinect
wrpg
account system
friends list
video chat
cross play chat
etc. (help, how many am i forgetting ?)

they brought quite a lot in 2 gens and frankly i would really miss the presence of a western innovative competitor, just as i would nintendo or sony for other reasons

Around the Network

I would draw a rrod on their tomb though, just for fun

triggers
hard-drives
arcade games
indie games
assymetric joysticks
kinect
wrpg
account system
friends list
video chat
cross play chat
etc. (help, how many am i forgetting ?)

With the exception of kinect (which is purely a gimmick anyway) all you listed has been on the PC years before 360. Good riddance to MS i'd say

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

for me personally i would be sad. The Original Xbox was amazing! i remember it fondly and always will. The 360 was not good for me but MS worked hard to bring online up to good standards and build the foundations for what most gaming companies are doing in that area. I wouldn't miss the fans, wouldn't miss the Games (of this gen) but i would miss them being in the running

hopefully they wont vanish, competition between companies is healthy and the best for consumers.

they brought to consoles a good online gaming service concept that works and changed gaming in consoles this generation.
if it wasnt for the competition PS3 wouldnt have changed so much from the start of the gen to it's end. it's services and product image changed a lot and the coming gen they have showed that their mindset is more consumer focused cause they know they have big competition with Xbox.

unfortunatly only microsoft is currently being a direct competitor to playstation since nintendo seems to be too busy doing their own thing and trying to ignore the rest of the market.

rutea7 said:
hopefully they wont vanish, competition between companies is healthy and the best for consumers.

they brought to consoles a good online gaming service concept that works and changed gaming in consoles this generation.
if it wasnt for the competition PS3 wouldnt have changed so much from the start of the gen to it's end. it's services and product image changed a lot and the coming gen they have showed that their mindset is more consumer focused cause they know they have big competition with Xbox.

unfortunatly only microsoft is currently being a direct competitor to playstation since nintendo seems to be too busy doing their own thing and trying to ignore the rest of the market.

Nintendo learned they have no chance in hell of beating Sony at their own game.  In fact Sony beat Nintendo at their own game, then took the game and kicked Nintendo out of the room!  

Ninty knows they have to make their own market because Sony already took theirs... :/