By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VD-Dev "pushing the 3DS to its limits"

MDMAlliance said:
fatslob-:O said:
MDMAlliance said:

I knew you would cherry pick the video, and that's why I have prepared the statement that the part where that happens is in one of the larger maps (not closed corridor) and is the part where the most is going on at once on screen.  There are several times more "zombies" (not quite zombies) around than normal in a significantly larger map than the average in the game.  Even then, these drops are temporary and the game for the most part maintains a steady 30 FPS.  The exceptions being when the game is loading the other maps (you are not fighting during this time) and the occasional small drop from CPU stress.  Either way, you seem to refuse to acknowledge that your statement was incorrect.

Another incorrect statement you made was right after the one about RE: R.  About how the Kingdom Hearts game wasn't an improvement.  That is clearly incorrect if you actually played it or the other games.  The graphics may be on par with the other versions, but the maps are clearly several times larger with freedom to move nearly anywhere in that space allotted to you.  I can't speak for Birth By Sleep, but there are a good number of enemies on screen sometimes and a lack of a noticable framerate drop like there was in KH1 and KH2.

edit: Of course I do remember the part with the thousand enemies in KH2, but they were for the most part stationary on a simple field.  This wasn't done to make it easy, but done because it wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Apparently you can't face the fact that it drops to 22fps. I'm not going to argue anymore on that part and BTW I would choose the PC version. 

@Bold You just proved my point even further on how I said KH wasn't a huge improvement. BTW both BBS and DDD are using the same engine so it was pretty much expected not to be a big improvement in graphics.

Using the same engine =/= no improvements.  That logic is just absurd.  

By that logic, I guess since the 3DS can run the MT Frameworks engine, it should be able to run ANY other game using that engine at the SAME capacity as ANY other console.  

Also, this would mean that the Unreal Engine 4 would look the same on ALL platforms regardless.  So iOS devices confirmed on par with next gen.

You still don't understand what I meant by that statement. These game engines will clearly scale for each platform and depending. It's just that you don't understand why the 3DS is obtaining the results of PSP graphics. Newsflash, go and do more research on your part. 

Around the Network

At first I was interested to see this amazing looking DS game, but after looking, not really impressed. The DS is more powerful than the PSX so I'd expect it to push graphics that are as good as this.

Draw distance and pop in is is much better than Driver 2, but it's cart format versus disc, so that's expected. I will point out the terrible vehicle models the same textures and color for literally every vehicle though. Makes Driver 2's vehicle models look amazing.

Here's a video of Driver 2 on PSX. Doesn't look better than the DS game, but not much worse. As I said above, the pop in is expected since it's on disc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfEF_z0JfcQ

MDMAlliance said:
Apparently you can't face the fact that it drops to 22fps. I'm not going to argue anymore on that part and BTW I would choose the PC version. 

@Bold You just proved my point even further on how I said KH wasn't a huge improvement. BTW both BBS and DDD are using the same engine so it was pretty much expected not to be a big improvement in graphics.

By that logic, I guess since the 3DS can run the MT Frameworks engine, it should be able to run ANY other game using that engine at the SAME capacity as ANY other console.  

Also, this would mean that the Unreal Engine 4 would look the same on ALL platforms regardless.  So iOS devices confirmed on par with next gen.

You still don't understand what I meant by that statement. These game engines will clearly scale for each platform and depending. It's just that you don't understand why the 3DS is obtaining the results of PSP graphics. Newsflash, go and do more research on your part. 

You still don't understand that my point still stands.  Running on the same engine, even if it weren't "scaled," so-to-speak, it doesn't mean anything in terms of the hardware it's on.  

The one who really needs to do research is yourself.  I provide you evidence, you don't provide any.  All you do is make claims and pretend they are true and accepted well known facts.  This is the definition of a double standard as you think that what I say means nothing unless I provide evidence.  I don't think you're qualified to be evaluating graphics.

Kaizar said:
EricFabian said:
EricFabian said:
@Everyone

Honest to god the 3DS isn't anywhere near an impressive piece of equipment. You will never have games that will likely go above PSP graphics or performance because of the fact that nintendo made 3D a mandatory implimentation to the system that isn't even twice as powerful as the PSP was. So if I were you guys I would focus on the games because the 3DS isn't capable of all too much considering metal gear ran 20fps compared to the more smoother 30fps on the PS2.

Tell me just ONE game on PSP that have better graphics than RE: Revelations or KH DDD. Only ONE please

RE: Revelations has bad draw distance and enemies with an awful framerate to boot. KH DDD isn't an improvement compared to the others.

so again: tell me ONE game better than RE: revelations

Obscure the aftermath and FF type are more impressive to me than RE: revelations. 

They both have one thing in commom and that's much better environments and higher draw distances. Sure those games may not have better characters models but those games are more consistent graphically speaking. 

LOL everything else looks awful. 

Draw distance is just a gimmick to give the illusion of 3D depth, but glasses-free 3D let's you see the Depth for how it actually looks like.

Plus these Capcom games are design with 3D in mind, so why would they waste time with draw distance. The people of Japan love 3D since 2006 or earlier.

The PSP could never run Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

And Lego City undercover 3DS is more open world then anything the PS3 & 360 could manage for polygon graphics. Same goes for cell-shaded vs. cell-shaded on different systems.

Draw distance can allow for better gameplay such interacting with objects far from the camera. I guess draw distance doesn't matter for FPS's LOL. 

@Bold GTA V is more impressive in terms of scale and draw distance. 

The Wii has a 1-core 700 MHz CPU and a 243 MHz GPU.

The 3DS has a multi-core 1 GHz CPU clock @ 400 MHz a core, and a 400 MHz clock GPU.

The Wii uses very old technology.

The 3DS uses way newer technology in comparison.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
MDMAlliance said:

You still don't understand that my point still stands.  Running on the same engine, even if it weren't "scaled," so-to-speak, it doesn't mean anything in terms of the hardware it's on.  

The one who really needs to do research is yourself.  I provide you evidence, you don't provide any.  All you do is make claims and pretend they are true and accepted well known facts.  This is the definition of a double standard as you think that what I say means nothing unless I provide evidence.  I don't think you're qualified to be evaluating graphics.

@Bold Once again you still don't understand that better hardware on the same engine will net better performance but apparently the 3DS is still having trouble on trying to top the PSP in terms of graphics even though I know it's on the same engine with better hardware. So much much for trying to blow last gen portables out of the water LOL.

One thing is your evidence just so happens to be a double edged sword it's pretty embarassing that it usually ends up going against you. The evidence are in those creenshots so say it with me, "The 3DS is not a huge improvement interms of graphics." Apparently you need to look up the definition of graphics LOL. Any PC gamer would be ripping you apart right now for not understanding what graphics are. BTW your even less qualified to judge graphics than I am since you don't do a whole lot of experimenting on PC's compared to me. You would have easily come to my conclusion from just even doing a bunch of benchmarks. 

EricFabian said:

Nobody said that 3DS is more powerfull than Vita, but YOU said that 3DS is waeker than PSP.  So please be smart

To be fair, Kaizar has sad many times the 3DS is more powerful than the Vita, and in some quoted text I just read, he said the 3DS is more powerful than the PS3 and 360. 

Kaizar said:

The Wii has a 1-core 700 MHz CPU and a 243 MHz GPU.

The 3DS has a multi-core 1 GHz CPU clock @ 400 MHz a core, and a 400 MHz clock GPU.

The Wii uses very old technology.

The 3DS uses way newer technology in comparison.

No evidence so far for your claims. Making statements without showing evidence only goes so far. ;)

Should that one guy be here and tell us how red dead redemption has the best graphics and draw distance ever?

kupomogli said:
EricFabian said:

Nobody said that 3DS is more powerfull than Vita, but YOU said that 3DS is waeker than PSP.  So please be smart

To be fair, Kaizar has sad many times the 3DS is more powerful than the Vita, and in some quoted text I just read, he said the 3DS is more powerful than the PS3 and 360. 

When in the hell did I say the 3DS was weaker ? :P