By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VD-Dev "pushing the 3DS to its limits"

Kaizar said:
fatslob-:O said:
happydolphin said:
What does everybody have against me in this thread ? Am I some monster or something. :P

Fatslob, your two problem comments, with bolding for important nonsensical points:

@Everyone

Honest to god the 3DS isn't anywhere near an impressive piece of equipment. You will never have games that will likely go above PSP graphics or performance because of the fact that nintendo made 3D a mandatory implimentation to the system that isn't even twice as powerful as the PSP was. So if I were you guys I would focus on the games because the 3DS isn't capable of all too much considering metal gear ran 20fps compared to the more smoother 30fps on the PS2.

You are saying the 3DS will never have games with graphics better than the PSP. That's silly since we already have games much better than the best-looking PSP games.

and

The 3DS was already at it's limits when it came out at launch so how much power was there left to even squeeze out ?

For this one you have 0 proof.

Kaizar said:

According to all 3rd party developers, the 3DS has way more better Textures & Shader Abilities then the Wii.

Plus we know the 3DS has at least 50 shader cores which is more then the 360.

Plus Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii had most cell-shaded graphics with polygons being used on a few background models, but Donkey Kong Counry Returns on 3DS replace the cell-shaded graphic models with pure polygon models.

So PS3 (550 MHz GPU) > 360 (500 MHz GPU) > 3DS (400 MHz GPU) > Wii (243 MHz GPU) > GameCube > XBox > PS2 & PSP > DS > PSX

That's some poor understanding of hardware you got going. 

This kind of comment is bad because you don't explain why he has a poor understanding of hardware. Because to me it sounds right.

Fine then go and believe your own grandeur of delusions, its not like I could care. Your issue of much better graphics than what the psp's best could achieve is also not without technical hurdles on the 3DS's best looking games. BTW madden and ridge racer already pushed the 3DS to it's limit at LAUNCH so too bad about it having any more power left. The reason why kaizer exhibits poor understanding has to do wth the fact that he belives the megaherts myth and while also psoting up incorrect info about the 3DS's GPU clock which was 133mhz and what more is that the gamecube has more shaders and a higher clock too.

Show Mii a source that shows the 3DS GPU being clocked at less then the Vita's 266 MHz.

Plus I already told you that the 3DS uses 2010 technology against the Wii's 2005 technology.

Here you go. 

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/992-nintendo-3ds-specs-revealed133mhz-gpu-dual-266mhz-arm11-cpus/

Around the Network

hype

Oh boy. How is he not banned? The derailment, the logic or lack thereof on top of dare I say the blatant trolling; it blows my mind.

He's... Never gonna stop is he?

Red Dead Redemption 2.0.

Here you go. 

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/992-nintendo-3ds-specs-revealed133mhz-gpu-dual-266mhz-arm11-cpus/

The article makes it clear that even if the PSP numbers may be stronger, the architecture of the 3DS' newer chips promise much more performance (and graphics) due to using newer technology. So there's more to the performance than mhz and MBs.

"How that affects the system’s ability to push polygons remains to be seen--perhaps the change was made as a concession to battery life. It could even be incorrect! Where do these numbers leave the 3DS in relation to Sony’s PSP? Hard to say--the PSP’s CPU clocks at 333MHz with an embedded GPU around 166MHz and 64MB of memory in newer models. While the PSP technically runs on a faster CPU powering only one screen,  the newer chips in the 3DS will likely be more than a match for Sony’s portable. Again, it really comes down to what the GPU can handle."

happydolphin said:

Just so you know the PS3 and the 3DS are in different boats. The PS3 will destroy the PSP in terms of graphics even if it has bad performance and the problem with the 3DS is that it doesn't have enough power to out the PSP completely and once it does, it's not that big of a win since other things hinder it. Stereoscopic 3D is a resource hog and that is what will stop the 3DS from outdoing the PSP completely.

So in that case dropping frames was just one thing that doesn't mean much, right? Since the PS3 also drops frames at times. Okay, we got that cleared up.

Looking at your 2nd point, it seems you think the 3DS games haven't outperformed the PSP graphics yet, but that it can.

Your main argument is Stereoscopic 3D as a resource hog. Do you have any data that shows how much the stereoscopic 3D affects graphics and performance?

Oh dropped frames means alot but it's just that the PS3 compensates it much more since it has much better graphics whereas the 3DS is mostly failing to win out the PSP in every category easily since it's the more powerful machine. The 3DS could perform better in graphics than the PSP but it's just that it didn't win in the draw distance category since it revelations had lower draw distance than alot of PSP games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-vision-surround-stereoscopic-gaming,2672-6.html

LOL stereoscopic 3D takes like 4X the power. 

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Oh boy. How is he not banned? The derailment, the logic or lack thereof on top of dare I say the blatant trolling; it blows my mind.

Red Dead Redemption 2.0.

If you have a problem with his logic, did you at least try to challenge it? He may not be the best at expressing his PoV but maybe he isn't trolling.

happydolphin said:
S.Peelman said:

Red Dead Redemption 2.0.

If you have a problem with his logic, did you at least try to challenge it? He may not be the best at expressing his PoV but maybe he isn't trolling.

There's already like four guys challenging it, so there's no need for another. Plus I think I already said something somewhere.

Oh dropped frames means alot but it's just that the PS3 compensates it much more since it has much better graphics whereas the 3DS is mostly failing to win out the PSP in every category easily since it's the more powerful machine. The 3DS could perform better in graphics than the PSP but it's just that it didn't win in the draw distance category since it revelations had lower draw distance than alot of PSP games.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-vision-surround-stereoscopic-gaming,2672-6.html

LOL stereoscopic 3D takes like 4X the power. 

@underlined. Stop right there. So the frames mean nothing if the console can compensate. So frames alone mean nothing. Both the 3DS and PS3 drop frames but you consider that the PS3 has much better graphics. Let's just consider that a closed case. Dropped frames: inconclusive.

What benchmarks do you have to support that the PSP wins in every category easily? It seems like "since it's the more powerful machine" is your a-priori. So what benchmarks and tests do you have?

Also, if the PSP wins in every category easily, then how come the 3DS could perform better in graphics than the PSP? Are you talking about current graphics in today's games versus the 3DS' potential? In that case, doesn't that contradict your "since it's the more powerful machine" argument?

@stereoscopic 3D. That's not what you linked me to. You linked me to Surround 3D. Also, unless you have a link to how Nintendo implemented 3D, those Nvidia benchmarks you provided are invalid.

S.Peelman said:
happydolphin said:
S.Peelman said:

Red Dead Redemption 2.0.

There's already like four guys challenging it, so there's no need for another. Plus I think I already said something somewhere.

Instead of out right attacking me while also accusing me of being another alt why don't you go and prove it with the mods. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion then leave this thread and never come back to it. 

Kaizar said:
happydolphin said:

Once again if your trying to bait me I'm a PC gamer primarily so that won't work and it's there to warn you of assumptions about what someone prefers. Simple as what I said last time, then the PS3 has bad performance, period, no questions about whether it looks good or not, it just runs badly and that's how I see it. I'll ask you once again to ponder about what performance vs graphics means. 

Let's see if I can surprise you.

Performance revolves more around frame-rate, screen tearing while Graphics revolves around textures, lighting, shadows, resolution, etc.

To close up my little inquisition on the PS3, since you say it has bad performance, would you say it is just a little better than a PSP and struggles to draw distances, because it drops frames?

Just so I understand where your dropped frames argument was leading us in the end.

Just so you know the PS3 and the 3DS are in different boats. The PS3 will destroy the PSP in terms of graphics even if it has bad performance and the problem with the 3DS is that it doesn't have enough power to out the PSP completely and once it does, it's not that big of a win since other things hinder it. Stereoscopic 3D is a resource hog and that is what will stop the 3DS from outdoing the PSP completely.

You can do a teardown of the 3DS, and it will reveal that the RAM is up to 384 MB (but it's rally only 128 MB), and that the CPU is 2-core 1.8 GHz (but it's really only 2-core 1.0 GHz).

So what does that tell U about the 3DS?

Once again you have no sources whereas that article I showed you is evidence.