By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's wrong with Microsoft?

Whats wrong with moving on (even after MS said they will support 360 for another 3 years) Look at the launch lineup on both PS4 and XB1. Wonder why XB1 has a way bigger launch lineup? well thats because there focusing on the next big thing.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:

My point was that genral Joe dont buy Indie games. He doesnt pay 300 quid for Indie games.

The first year will be quite important. I just get the sense Sony havent really got the disc games to compete.

Im more surprised than anyone that Microsoft has come out with so much variety and exclusives that isnt Gears or Halo.

Zoo Tycoon is coming back, Killer Instinct is coming and Kinect 2.0 is getting great praise from everyone this time.

Apart from the initial DRM thing which average Joe dont know about or has totally forgotten about now, The Xbox One looks attractive as hell games wise.

Also Black Tusks new Stealth/shooter Ninja game has yet to be shown. Quantum Break looks visually mindblowing.

Sony need to hit their dates with their games ( Not like PS3 ) because Microsofts games have been getting high praise lately ( Kiler Instinct, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Project Spark all getting high praise from media. ) Only really Killzone is on PS4 from a disc perspective. The others I feel wont score to well based on media opinions.

Your message seems mixed. Project Spark is beta in January, Killer Instict is download (genral Joe doesn't download that much either), Dead Rising 3 isn't made by MS. MS have announced a new Halo. They have got some great exclusives, made by their own studios and others, however so have Sony. Just because you think only Killzone is a viable option for disc release, doesn't mean others won't like the others on offer. Driveclub is more arcady than Forza, Knack is the only viable platformer on release by either console. Zoo Tycoon is in a class of it's own compared to other launch line up games.

Launch window games, Sony have Infamous and The Order 1886 while MS has Titanfall. If anything as customers we should be concerned about disc based releases in early next year. There aren't many.

Hmm, pie.

Azzanation said:

Whats wrong with moving on (even after MS said they will support 360 for another 3 years) Look at the launch lineup on both PS4 and XB1. Wonder why XB1 has a way bigger launch lineup? well thats because there focusing on the next big thing.

Not everyone can afford a new console, 70 million gamers won't switch instantly. I'm sure they'd like some games.

Hmm, pie.

selnor1983 said:
Frequency said:
selnor1983 said:
I dont really understand.

Looking objectively at the new consoles, Ps4 is a nice price, but Killzone is the only launch game that grabs me. The others arent great at all on the exclusive side. I really dont get Driveclub at all. Its like a Ridge Racer clone. Or trying to be Forza Horizon, but not really the same thing.

Theres no variety ( which is unusual for Sony ) And the best is a shooter. Again not really normal Sony.

Xbox One is offering Project Spark, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5 at launch which covers a variety of genres and games players.

If I wasnt getting an Xbox One at launch for its variety I certainly wouldnt be buying a PS4 at launch due to its lack of exclusive games that are Tripple A. I dont like the Indie focus, it feels cheap like they dont have anything else to offer on disc.

This focus on the old PS3 IMO may hurt them next year. As far as PS4 sales go.

Will people play Killzone then wait while others play several exclusives?

Sony die hards will stay with PS4 of course. But those that dont really mind, could easily trade in if Sony do a PS3 and delay after dealy launches for their games.

The general public wont give 2 hoots about indie games. They will walk in a shop and see what the big Exclusives are and decide.

I think Titanfall is gonna be just as big as COD was last gen. I really think it will sell alot of Xbox Ones. Yes its on 360, but its literally half the game.

Like you, im getting a xbox one (but im also getting a ps4) so let me answer.

you seem to be under the impression that major launch titles are the only deciding factor, ignoring a great deal of additional software for the platform, smaller games, indies, and so on, then of course multiplats for both systems.

If someone buy a console solely for the launch line up, rather than the whole package and future games, they have issues.

I agree.

My point was that genral Joe dont buy Indie games. He doesnt pay 300 quid for Indie games.

The first year will be quite important. I just get the sense Sony havent really got the disc games to compete.

Im more surprised than anyone that Microsoft has come out with so much variety and exclusives that isnt Gears or Halo.

Zoo Tycoon is coming back, Killer Instinct is coming and Kinect 2.0 is getting great praise from everyone this time.

Apart from the initial DRM thing which average Joe dont know about or has totally forgotten about now, The Xbox One looks attractive as hell games wise.

Also Black Tusks new Stealth/shooter Ninja game has yet to be shown. Quantum Break looks visually mindblowing.

Sony need to hit their dates with their games ( Not like PS3 ) because Microsofts games have been getting high praise lately ( Kiler Instinct, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Project Spark all getting high praise from media. ) Only really Killzone is on PS4 from a disc perspective. The others I feel wont score to well based on media opinions.

Your right General Joe buys multi plats, they buy Fifa they buy Cod, they will get the next gen version where its cheapest and looks best. 

Chris Hu said:

In the grand scheme of things its the only thing that matters since that is how both MS and Sony generate their income since both consoles where sold at a loss throughout most of their existance.  Also if gamers would value the PS3 more then it would sell more software both physical and digital so you are dead wrong on that one.

I despise this line of reasoning, because it inherently implies that

Activision's Call of Duty franchise is most praiseworthy

Kinect is praiseworthy

etc.

If you're not some non-gamer businessman that actually deals in stocks, then WHY would profit margins enter into your arguments at all!? No sir, what we have here is a classic case of upholding the few upperhands of your favourite company even though (IN REAL LIFE TERMS) it means NOTHING to you.

NOTHING.

Do you know what matters to me? Having the best software lineup and a (technologically) cutting edge experience. That's all that's ever mattered, which is why I supported the 360 until 2009, but why I've fallen so out of love with that white box under my TV that I hardly even want to look at it.

What you are doing is yo-yo-ing between whatever is convenient and true for your argument at any given time.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/08/16/zelda-delayed-to-next-year

Delayed so they can "continue to make the game better."  It was delayed a full year so they could port it to the Wii.  Then, what was a slap in the face to Gamecube owners interested in the game, if they didn't want to purchase a Wii, they had to wait an additional month to play the game on the Gamecube.  The system it was originally developed for.

Here's some other games Nintendo cancelled on  the Gamecube and released on a different Nintendo console instead.

DK Bongo Blast — (Moved to Wii as Donkey Kong Barrel Blast)
Kirby GCN — (Moved to the Wii and resurfaced as Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
Pilotwings — (Moved to Wii)
Super Paper Mario — (Moved to the Wii)
Super Mario Galaxy (Moved to the Wii)
Yoshi platformer (Moved to Nintendo DS as Yoshi Touch & Go)

I still purchase Nintendo consoles and purchase games I'm interested in, but I used to be as much of a Nintendo fan as I am a Sony fan.  There are some things Nintendo did that I really didn't like, and then I wasn't interested in purchasing a Wii, but cancelled a game I was interested in, then ported it over to the Wii.  Zelda being released on the Gamecube a monther after the Wii release.  Then after the release of the Wii, there was literally no Gamecube support.  That's when I became anti Nintendo.  Not a fan of a company that doesn't respect its fans.  Everyone knows the companies don't actually care about their fans, but the least they could do is act like they do with more than just bullshit PR talk.  Atleast Sony showed it by continue supporting the PS2 with first party titles well after the release of the PS3.

You're just making BULLSHIT up and trying to pass it off as fact aren't you.

Oh, I'm not missing a question mark there because I know the answer.

Stop talking shit.

kirby007 said:
Pos Platform North America Europe Japan Rest of World Global
1 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 658.26 563.77 222.60 217.32 1,661.95
2 PlayStation (PS) 357.97 280.90 244.10 79.04 962.01
3 Wii (Wii) 467.87 240.11 68.60 116.45 893.03
4 Xbox 360 (X360) 490.98 206.30 12.39 102.14 811.81
5 Nintendo DS (DS) 363.43 179.00 178.51 79.46 800.40
6 PlayStation 3 (PS3) 308.08 224.10 62.23 135.02 729.43

this graph tells me some people are not thinking logically

"You are aware that you are comparing sales totals when one has 12 to 18 months worth of software additional sales?"

that gap is bigger then 18 months more, point is moot

about software and hardware sales. both are a priority without an instalbase you can't sell games. and games make you money but also developers

IS IT REALLY!?

80M software units in 12-18 months is above the sales rate!?

HUH.

Dr.Grass said:
kupomogli said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/08/16/zelda-delayed-to-next-year

Delayed so they can "continue to make the game better."  It was delayed a full year so they could port it to the Wii.  Then, what was a slap in the face to Gamecube owners interested in the game, if they didn't want to purchase a Wii, they had to wait an additional month to play the game on the Gamecube.  The system it was originally developed for.

Here's some other games Nintendo cancelled on  the Gamecube and released on a different Nintendo console instead.

DK Bongo Blast — (Moved to Wii as Donkey Kong Barrel Blast)
Kirby GCN — (Moved to the Wii and resurfaced as Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
Pilotwings — (Moved to Wii)
Super Paper Mario — (Moved to the Wii)
Super Mario Galaxy (Moved to the Wii)
Yoshi platformer (Moved to Nintendo DS as Yoshi Touch & Go)

I still purchase Nintendo consoles and purchase games I'm interested in, but I used to be as much of a Nintendo fan as I am a Sony fan.  There are some things Nintendo did that I really didn't like, and then I wasn't interested in purchasing a Wii, but cancelled a game I was interested in, then ported it over to the Wii.  Zelda being released on the Gamecube a monther after the Wii release.  Then after the release of the Wii, there was literally no Gamecube support.  That's when I became anti Nintendo.  Not a fan of a company that doesn't respect its fans.  Everyone knows the companies don't actually care about their fans, but the least they could do is act like they do with more than just bullshit PR talk.  Atleast Sony showed it by continue supporting the PS2 with first party titles well after the release of the PS3.

You're just making BULLSHIT up and trying to pass it off as fact aren't you.

Oh, I'm not missing a question mark there because I know the answer.

Stop talking shit.

He's right about all those games, and the rest is opinion. What is he making up?

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

While I do think Microsoft has, in some ways, negatively influenced the industry this generation, I don't think it's fair to criticize them for moving on to X1 and producing fewer first-party titles for X360. The launch is one month away, after all. Microsoft wants it to be successful. Why wouldn't Microsoft divert resources to its new product in the months and years leading up to its launch?

Anyway, isn't this rather common? Sure, there are often a handful of high-profile releases late in a system's life cycle, but generally software support dries up. Games like Donkey Kong Country 3, Syphon Filter 3, and God of War II are not the standard; they're exceptions to the rule.

The 360 will be supported through 2014, which translates to a nine-year old lifespan. 360 was an excellent investment for any gamer.

Look at Nintendo for ditching their userbase at any given time. I love Nintendo but buying their consoles is always a gamble from a value point of view.