By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's wrong with Microsoft?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
While I do think Microsoft has, in some ways, negatively influenced the industry this generation, I don't think it's fair to criticize them for moving on to X1 and producing fewer first-party titles for X360. The launch is one month away, after all. Microsoft wants it to be successful. Why wouldn't Microsoft divert resources to its new product in the months and years leading up to its launch?

Anyway, isn't this rather common? Sure, there are often a handful of high-profile releases late in a system's life cycle, but generally software support dries up. Games like Donkey Kong Country 3, Syphon Filter 3, and God of War II are not the standard; they're exceptions to the rule.

"Not everyone can afford a new console, 70 million gamers won't switch instantly. I'm sure they'd like some games."

I'll add that they have paying subscribers. No new MS release for a while means they are using the network they are paying for by playing 3rd party only. What was their last release? Gears of War Judgement?  http://www.microsoft.com/games/mgsgamecatalog/ 

Why not just not pay and play these 3rd party games on PS3 instead (if you have one)?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

The 360 is getting 1st party games in it's 9th year, can the same be said about Ps3? Who knows, this thread was made way too early.

fatslob-:O said:
Chris Hu said:

How can you say about the same for the PS3 when its currently in sixth place when it comes to software to console ratio and miles behind when it comes to both digital sales and overall digital content.

Like i said, the PS3 can sell with less software and more quality consistent software to boot. That is how gamers found the PS3 more valuable than the 360.

It's not hard math y'know. PS3 sales > 360 sales :P

Wii sales > PS3 sales.

I guess you can stop badmouthing Nintendo's support, apparently customers loved it.

Also, if customers are flocking to PS3 for this supposed support advantage and it's all about these games, why doesn't the PS3 have a higher tie-in ratio?

And if these higher PS3 sales are a result of this supposed end game support, why was PS3 on pace to outsell the 360 from day one?

Seems you're using some irrelevant sales data to paint a pretty picture for your theory, since reality certainly doesn't support it. But as someone else said, you don't even own the console you're trying to talk about. So that just makes it adorable.

The Fury said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
While I do think Microsoft has, in some ways, negatively influenced the industry this generation, I don't think it's fair to criticize them for moving on to X1 and producing fewer first-party titles for X360. The launch is one month away, after all. Microsoft wants it to be successful. Why wouldn't Microsoft divert resources to its new product in the months and years leading up to its launch?

Anyway, isn't this rather common? Sure, there are often a handful of high-profile releases late in a system's life cycle, but generally software support dries up. Games like Donkey Kong Country 3, Syphon Filter 3, and God of War II are not the standard; they're exceptions to the rule.

"Not everyone can afford a new console, 70 million gamers won't switch instantly. I'm sure they'd like some games."

I'll add that they have paying subscribers. No new MS release for a while means they are using the network they are paying for by playing 3rd party only. What was their last release? Gears of War Judgement?  http://www.microsoft.com/games/mgsgamecatalog/ 

Why not just not pay and play these 3rd party games on PS3 instead (if you have one)?

Those 70 million have a huge catalog to choose from, even without new releases. If there are consumers out there who have, in the past seven years, played every X360 first and third-party game, then God bless them. Because there aren't enough hours in the day to do so. I have an entire bookshelf of X360 games I still need to unwrap, let alone play.

Also, what is the big deal if most of the recent X360 releases are third-party games? Those count as games too, don't they?

The 360 launched on November 22, 2005 and that is when it started selling its first piece of software.  The PS3 launched on November 11, 2006 and that is when it started selling its first piece of sofware.  All the other stuff you posted is irelevent the plain fact is that 360 and PS3 launched eleven month and nineteen days apart and that is the real gap between the sofware sales of both consoles and those are the plain facts.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

The 360 will be supported through 2014, which translates to a nine-year old lifespan. 360 was an excellent investment for any gamer.

Look at Nintendo for ditching their userbase at any given time. I love Nintendo but buying their consoles is always a gamble from a value point of view.

Psst, in November 2014 it will be 8 years since the console launched.

Also thanks to their poor reliability launch 360s and PS3's were only an excellent investment for a small minority.

Chris Hu said:

The 360 launched on November 22, 2005 and that is when it started selling its first piece of software.  The PS3 launched on November 11, 2006 and that is when it started selling its first piece of sofware.  All the other stuff you posted is irelevent the plain fact is that 360 and PS3 launched eleven month and nineteen days apart and that is the real gap between the sofware sales of both consoles and those are the plain facts.

When you are comparing software performance availability of the hardware to play it in your local region is HIGHLY relevant, stop trying to sidestep being wrong by being wrong again.

I strongly suggest you read over my post regarding sales performance over time and launch time differences impacting software sales performance for multiplatform titles on different install bases and exclusives to different install bases.

Because you seem to be one of those people that think that comparing sales for software on a 1 day old console available in a single country, to that of a nearly year old console with an actual install base and global availability is logical, when it is clearly not.

While I own all the major consoles for the first 5 years of its life the 360 was my go-to console, that said even I have the brain capacity to o understand market performance based on availability.

You can of course continue to argue that comparing sales performance for consoles launched so far apart makes sense, but you will, of course, be entirely wrong.

One must observe the market climate and not just the immediate figures when debating these things, something you seem to refuse to want to do despite telling others to 'research' things.

Your the one that is wrong for not comprehending basic facts and basic math no matter how you want to slice it the fact still remains they launched 11 month and 19 days apart end of story.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Those 70 million have a huge catalog to choose from, even without new releases. If there are consumers out there who have, in the past seven years, played every X360 first and third-party game, then God bless them. Because there aren't enough hours in the day to do so. I have an entire bookshelf of X360 games I still need to unwrap, let alone play.

Also, what is the big deal if most of the recent X360 releases are third-party games? Those count as games too, don't they?

It doesn't quite work out like that sadly, out of that huge catalogue, 30% are probably worth playing, 20% have online and of those, not everyone is interested in every game. How many of which have people playing anymore? Brink is cheap (looks average at best but cheap). I'm sure these people will have lots of fun paying a subscription service to play Brink with the 500 people who play (in your region if you are lucky). New games is where most people play.

The big deal is those 3rd party games are also on the console (and PC as well) that doesn't charge you to pay online, with the money you pay to play online on 360, you can also buy (get this) another 3rd party online game for that other console/PC. 

Hmm, pie.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Excellent point and if the PS3 would have had stronger launch God of War 2 would have been axed for the PS2 and moved to the PS3.