By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is good about Windows 8?

The first thing I felt when I use windows 8 is the lack of freedom, I know Win 7 is not Linux but still I can go to regedit, cmd, powershell, control panel, create bat files, customize my environment with ease, but then again I know how to use all of those tools and even more. The thing with windows 8 is that MS is forcing you to use this O.S. the way they want to.

Around the Network

I believe for people who use shortcut keys and pin all of your most used programs on the start bar, the learning curve for Win 8 is not that great. Windows key + start typing the program you want and Win 8 just like 7 is pretty good at finding it. I probably do that more than navigate using the mouse when trying to find a program. One key switch to the desktop for those types of apps and most metro stuff I pin to the menu. I not sure if metro is the way forward but now I have no problems with it.

Windows key + X

It´s fascinating how everyone seems to have such a hard time with W8, I absolutely love this operating system!

It felt natural from the beginning, even though it took some time to get used to the Metro style UI. When I got the hang of it, it was in fact much better than before, since I only place the programs I want on it.

I have upgraded to W8.1 and it improves on a lot of thing like having a start button, using the snap tool and so forth. Also, the system is really fast, and starts within seconds of hitting the power button. There are some negatives like how they have placed some things (having off/on under settings is just weird) but other than a few minus, there are mostly plusses in my book! :)

That's a good damned question.

Around the Network

Direct X 11.... (I, assume it's good anyway?)

and possibly project spark.

That's all i got.

think-man said:

I've mucked around on it a few times and didn't liked it, maybe it's because I don't like change but I found every little task much harder to do on Windows 8.

I'll give it another chance but I wanted to know what is good about it? are there any users that prefer it over Windows 7 or other Windows OS?

The two best features of Windows 8/8.1 are the Task Manager, and (IMHO) the ribbon bar in the Explorer view.  If you don't use or haven't had the need to use the Task Manager or you don't do much in Explorer (Windows Explorer) you kind of miss out on the enhancements.  But the Task Manager in Windows 8 is leaps and bounds better than anything you've see in previous versions of Windows.  It almost makes Performance Monitor unnecessary.

The Start panel is a paradigm shift that I don't think can be fully appreciated at this stage.  I like some things about it but I'm not sure why Microsoft didn't fully bake the Metro interface, nor why they still didn't do it with 8.1.  In 8.1 the Start panel works a bit nicer than it did in 8.0.  Smaller tiles, grouped tiles, etc.

I'm afeared of what Windows 9 will be at this point.  Previously Windows 9 was supposed to be a completely re-write of the OS, from the Kernel down.  I have this feeling it's going to end-up being Windows 8.x with some major usability improvements but overal minor system improvements.

Another unseen feature of Windows 8.x is the driver model.  Generally speaking it isn't important to you except for the fact that because Microsoft is doing most of the back-end work with the hardware, you won't see system crashes as much.  This was something begun with Windows XP, improved greatly in Windows Vista, refined in Windows 7 and once again refined in Windows 8.  If system stability is important to you, this is one of those features you won't necessarily see but you'll easily appreciate.

Windows 8 is a great OS... for the Surface Tablet. A central screen with big icons is a great idea for a touch based device where you have less screen real estate and things would be harder to see. For a desktop it makes no sense. It's hideously inefficient.

That being said, I do like how I could do a partial reinstall of the OS, without nuking everything I have on the system. Lifesaver that was.

petroleo said:
The first thing I felt when I use windows 8 is the lack of freedom, I know Win 7 is not Linux but still I can go to regedit, cmd, powershell, control panel, create bat files, customize my environment with ease, but then again I know how to use all of those tools and even more. The thing with windows 8 is that MS is forcing you to use this O.S. the way they want to.

Fairly certain you can do all of that.

From the desktop, right-click the Start/Windows icon.

I like it, but like every OS out there, you can't use it expecting to behave like your old OS. If you don't like metro, you can pretty much ignore it. I use it to pin my favorite programs and search things only.

Also, ultra fast boot. Pressing the power button and being in the desktop in 3s is pretty cool.