By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you want Koji Kondo to come back for Zelda U ?

Will Koji Kondo come back to compose the Zelda U OST ?

Sure not ! 0 0%

Not sure... 6 7.32%

I hope so, in solo 28 34.15%

Yes, with many others 47 57.32%

Total:81

Of course I would like Koji back. He wrote most of Zelda's most memorable themes, and his recent work in Mario Galaxy was outstanding. He's one of the greats.

Around the Network
Nem said:

Regardless of memorisation, if the sounds are too many for your brain to have that capicity (doesnt mean you actually do), the sound is filtered as noise. I dont understand how that can be good music. It might be, but not for humans. The only way for you to properly enjoy it is to focus on some of the portions.

I can make a music with 30 tracks of sounds. No matter how good it is, its nothing but noise for the brain. So, how come this would be considered good music. I think that is exactly the problem with music these days. Its all noise. Noise is not good music. Our brains have limitations, even if technology doesnt have the same ones.

Creativity and different sounds are the way to make good music. Not pooling 10 more sounds on top of the other ones.

This is also why people get excited about music composers like this zelda guy, the megaman 2 composer, Nobuo Uematsu. While nowadays there is no such renowned composers because they all seem to fall on that pit. More is not always better.

I don't follow your train of thought at all. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra has over 100 musicians in it. Each one is playing their own instrument, adding their own personal performance to the total sound. Is this nothing but noise? Theoretically, a sampler simulating a 100-piece orchestra should sound no different.

The problem is not the quantity of sounds. The problem is that traditional video game composers like Kondo don't know how to adjust to writing music for a full orchestra. They have half the "tracks" or instruments playing the exact same thing. No harmonies, no dynamics. It's boring and, yes, noisy. This is why Kondo is better off sticking to simpler songs like this one, and letting someone with more experience handle the bombastic Hyrule Field track and such.

You call it noise because you can't isolate every part of the music at the same time. I call it beautiful because every time I listen to it, I hear something new.

Koji solo! He is the John Williams of Videogame music!

I wasn't overly impressed with Skyward Sword's soundtrack.  It was not very memorable, and did not have the "Zelda" sound, if that makes any sense.

1doesnotsimply

YES

Wind Waker has the best Zelda OST IMO

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0R6FnpqylE

just because he doesn't compose all the music doesn't mean he isn't there, he still helps Nintendo a lot.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Of course I would like Koji back. He wrote most of Zelda's most memorable themes, and his recent work in Mario Galaxy was outstanding. He's one of the greats.

And again, Kondo didn't do Galaxy. It was Yokota. Give this man some credit.....

OOT has the greatest soundtrack in video game history by 20 miles, so I sure hope he comes back and does it solo. Doubt it'll happen but, yeah. He's the John Williams of games imo.

Soriku said:
Nem said:

I didnt say anything about 8 bit. I said 16-32. 32 beeing the highlight to me. Nothing that came after was in general as good as what we had in the Playstation one era. Rare exceptions of course.

I still question though. If its filtered as noise, how can it be good music? You say you can hear portions, i suppose cause you have some music background? Portions arent the same thing as the full music.

PS1 era had good music, but seriously, the PS2 era and beyond is a big overall improvement. I know you've said this before but the notion that music these days is all "noise" (which I assume for you is the same as "mindless") is ridiculous. It's simply not true at all. I really don't know what types of soundtracks you're listening to to come to that conclusion.

There is still melodious 32-bit style music being composed with much richer sound and better (and real) instruments.

I agree with dengle. Isolating the parts in complex music tracks can be amazing because you'll discover new and really good parts that you've never heard before, which all come together to make a good track sound even better.

I was listening to Dangerous Attraction from Resonance of Fate yesterday and I think it's a good example of this.

If you just listen to it plainly you might not get much out of it. Isolate the parts and it's awesome.

That song is completely sleep inducing btw.

Isolating portions of a song is not the same thing as listening to it as a whole. You are isolating portions so your brain is capable of finding enjoyment in it.

To repair what you said i was saying. I said for the most part. There are exceptions. But, in general (and im talking about game music most of all here) game music these days is either ambience or noise.

For example, uncharted a big budget title. It has an orchestra score. The music is great ambience, but nothing sticks with you. Why are these people spending all this money making music if no one is gonna remember a single bit of it? Why spend all that money and make music that isnt memorable?

I play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and my brain gets more pleasure out of that experience sound wise than it does during all of uncharted. I play Chrono Cross and my brain finds pleasure in the mixing pot of melodies. Xenogears is full of powerful themes. There was no orchestras for those. Orchestra's arent necessary to make good music. So, why spend all this money only to get a score no one listens to a second time?

Soriku said:
Mensrea said:
YES

Wind Waker has the best Zelda OST IMO

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0R6FnpqylE

I think Wind Waker has the best Zelda OST as well but Kondo's role in the game was minimal. The only track I know he composed for it is the Grandma's theme.

Also Kondo only composed Good Egg and Comet Observatory in Galaxy. Gusty Garden was composed by Mahito Yokota.

I think a lot of people are confusing Kondo for other composers. These days Kondo doesn't really do a whole lot. A lot of the tracks you like that you thought were composed by Kondo were likely composed by someone else.

I guess I was misinformed! Thanks friend.

Soriku said:
Nem said:

That song is completely sleep inducing btw.

Isolating portions of a song is not the same thing as listening to it as a whole. You are isolating portions so your brain is capable of finding enjoyment in it.

To repair what you said i was saying. I said for the most part. There are exceptions. But, in general (and im talking about game music most of all here) game music these days is either ambience or noise.

For example, uncharted a big budget title. It has an orchestra score. The music is great ambience, but nothing sticks with you. Why are these people spending all this money making music if no one is gonna remember a single bit of it? Why spend all that money and make music that isnt memorable?

I play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and my brain gets more pleasure out of that experience sound wise than it does during all of uncharted. I play Chrono Cross and my brain finds pleasure in the mixing pot of melodies. Xenogears is full of powerful themes. There was no orchestras for those. Orchestra's arent necessary to make good music. So, why spend all this money only to get a score no one listens to a second time?

It's not sleep inducing at all. But whatever. That song grew on me a lot after I listened to it a couple times.

Anyway Uncharted uses an orchestra score because it's a cinematic game that tries to emulate movies. Because of that it's probably more boring than some other orchestrated score, like SMG for example (or SMG2 especially in my case, I prefer that soundtrack more). In any case Uncharted isn't a standard for video game music and it's not really a good example. Most of what I listen to is JRPG music and I find loads of melodious music that sticks with you, some more complex than others, but it certainly isn't just noise.

Ah you're in absolutes again. I didnt say everything is just noise. Just for the most part.