By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tales of Xillia NA/Europe Sales Subpar, Bad News For Future Localisations?

Soriku said:
JazzB1987 said:
Sony is not a Tales platform thats the problem. The PS3 has enough jRPGs if the games would come out on Nintendo or Microsoft consoles it would be something special and therefore would sell more.

Sony (or, more specifically PS3 at the moment) is the Tales platform in Japan, which is the only region that matters when they make their platform decisions. In the US Graces F sold OK but Xillia sold 100k+ (more than Graces F's LTD in the first month) which is great.

But thats irrelevant when it comes to western markets.  And thats what we are discussing here.
Tales of Graces  was a Wii game yet a PS3 version came to Europe etc. and not a Wii version (stupid decision especially when they could use the PS3s translation) And Tales of Symphonia sold great on GC.

I know 5 people that would have bought the Wii version but I dont know a single person that has or had any interest in the PS3 version.

btw I bought Graces F for PS3 and will also buy Xillia1+2

Around the Network
Soriku said:
JazzB1987 said:
Soriku said:
JazzB1987 said:
Sony is not a Tales platform thats the problem. The PS3 has enough jRPGs if the games would come out on Nintendo or Microsoft consoles it would be something special and therefore would sell more.

Sony (or, more specifically PS3 at the moment) is the Tales platform in Japan, which is the only region that matters when they make their platform decisions. In the US Graces F sold OK but Xillia sold 100k+ (more than Graces F's LTD in the first month) which is great.

But thats irrelevant when it comes to western markets.  And thats what we are discussing here.
Tales of Graces  was a Wii game yet a PS3 version came to Europe etc. and not a Wii version (stupid decision especially when they could use the PS3s translation) And Tales of Symphonia sold great on GC.

I know 5 people that would have bought the Wii version but I dont know a single person that has or had any interest in the PS3 version.

btw I bought Graces F for PS3 and will also buy Xillia1+2

Well I'm just saying. Japan is their largest market so it makes sense to base their decisions on what the JP market wants. I think Graces was a missed opportunity though. The Wii version would've been missing some additions but I would've still gotten it at the time and it'd likely have done decently. Namco did admit they didn't market Graces F that well though and were planning to improve with Xillia, which seems to have paid off, so this is all moot.

People continue to ignore your posts in this thread.

P.S. Alvin is an awful character.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:

They don't wanna face the truth.

And Alvin is the shiz.

As in he is actually doodoo. I totes agree.

I think it sold pretty well.

outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:

And Alvin is the shiz.

It could be worse. He could be Emil Castagnier. Worst Tales character ever.

Side note: I didn't hate Alvin, but I certainly see why you or anyone else would. He's literally the worst person in the two worlds. I mean the Antagonist is actually a better person that he is.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:

And Alvin is the shiz.

Side note: I didn't hate Alvin, but I certainly see why you or anyone else would. He's literally the worst person in the two worlds. I mean the Antagonist is actually a better person that he is.

I agree with you completely. He was the tool for the forced friendship motif in Xillia. That said, I don't hate him, I just think he is bad character. Definitely my least favorite person in the cast.

The thing that annoyed me the most about Alvin is that no one seems to really care that he has done some really messed up shit. The other characters in the game that do heinous things at least have a deep seeded belief in their actions. Or at the very least, you can see why they do what they do. His character is the only real weakness in an otherwise stellar game.

Mad55 said:

When has that happened?

Basically every month.  The majority of the NPD numbers we get come from posters on GAF.  VGC numbers are generally adjusted to be closer to those numbers.  I suppose you could argue that ioi sources the numbers from places other than GAF, but it would still effectively be the same scenario.

Darc Requiem said:

lol!!! meek by day, sadistic psychopath by night!!! that name makes me shudder...even though I still will be buying the ToS HD collection

hopefully Namco doesn't lose too much faith in the West...I personally have bought every tales game that has come out this gen