By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: The Complete Xbox One architects Interview

I still can't figure out their memory bandwidth numbers and data path layout by that interview.
A lot of extremely obfuscating descriptions and weird logic in that context (I could also say he is downwright lying at some points but maybe they have invented/implemented completely new technology). In my books, the maximum theoretical bandwidth is 149 (or 178?) GByte/s, but it's been 30 years or so since I designed memory controller circuitry...

Around the Network

The Xbox designers have yet to convince a lot of gamers that a smaller graphics core can produce comparable results, while the benefits of its faster CPU with additional fixed function silicon have been largely ignored.

don't try so hard next time

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

drkohler said:

I still can't figure out their memory bandwidth numbers and data path layout by that interview.
A lot of extremely obfuscating descriptions and weird logic in that context (I could also say he is downwright lying at some points but maybe they have invented/implemented completely new technology). In my books, the maximum theoretical bandwidth is 149 (or 178?) GByte/s, but it's been 30 years or so since I designed memory controller circuitry...

Well they definitely confirmed one thing alright and it's that they don't have hUMA. 

Something interesting is that Voxel Cone Tracing. I remember some developers saying only Xbox One can do it. I think that changes the way games are made. No?

Microsoft confirmed Xbox One will have full DX11.2 which fully utilises Voxel Cone Tracing. Ray Tracing has never been implemented in console gaming or realy PC's at all. The way games are designed now with textures etc is way different. But Ray Tracing wold change visuals forever. They are where Developers idealy want to be. It is so superior.

selnor1983 said:

Something interesting is that Voxel Cone Tracing. I remember some developers saying only Xbox One can do it. I think that changes the way games are made. No?

Microsoft confirmed Xbox One will have full DX11.2 which fully utilises Voxel Cone Tracing. Ray Tracing has never been implemented in console gaming or realy PC's at all. The way games are designed now with textures etc is way different. But Ray Tracing wold change visuals forever. They are where Developers idealy want to be. It is so superior.

Dude, don't talk about hardware. Your post just gave me another headache. BTW developers would want to be at bidirectional path tracing ideally instead of ray tracing since that is the algorithm that closely approximates the rendering equation while converging to the solution much faster than the vanilla path tracing.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:

Realtime raytracing is impossible to any actual hardware released in the world... I'm not even putting consoles in this one.

Now about Voxel Cone Tracing is a algorithm devivated from the Raytracing that replaces the rays with thick rays... so it is not raytracking... it is a trick to simulate the Raytracking. I don't need to say that one is possible in consoles games and Sony already showed a demo using it.

But even so it was demanding... so they changed it to get better performance with similar result.

fatslob-:O said:
selnor1983 said:

Dude, don't talk about hardware. Your post just gave me another headache. BTW developers would want to be at bidirectional path tracing ideally instead of ray tracing since that is the algorithm that closely approximates the rendering equation while converging to the solution much faster than the vanilla path tracing.

But Voxel cone tracing is better than what we have now. The way Foza 5 or Killzone is made. It requires a new engine from the ground up. But would look far superior, especilly polys sticking out, lighting and shadows and masively reflective surfaces.

Notice how in the cutey graphical game Project Spark you cant see Poly triangles anywhere? Thats because its not polygons. Its Voxels. The first game on console to move away from how games are currently made. They use Voxels. This is thanks to software DX 11.2

The article is quite a long read but not particularly informative. A lot of stuff we already knew, some confusing bits mixed in with the typical PR message.

selnor1983 said:
selnor1983 said:

But Voxel cone tracing is better than what we have now. The way Foza 5 or Killzone is made. It requires a new engine from the ground up. But would look far superior, especilly polys sticking out, lighting and shadows and masively reflective surfaces.

Notice how in the cutey graphical game Project Spark you cant see Poly triangles anywhere? Thats because its not polygons. Its Voxels. The first game on console to move away from how games are currently made. They use Voxels. This is thanks to software DX 11.2

I hope you realize that neither of the next gen consoles are capable of cone tracing since it's still very taxing otherwise we would have seen a UE4 elemental demo on the xbone featuring SVOGI.

selnor1983 said:
selnor1983 said:

I hope you realize that neither of the next gen consoles are capable of cone tracing since it's still very taxing otherwise we would have seen a UE4 elemental demo on the xbone featuring SVOGI.

The software DX 11.2 wasnt implemented fully until June this year for Xbox One. UE4 wasnot able to take advantage of this software upgrade for Xbox One. Theres no rason why it cant be added in the future.

It was a big hit at Siggraph and Unreal Engine 4 was initially based on it. Turns out they eventually had to strip it out(quietly) due to them not being able to get it up to speed on next generation consoles and mid-range PC's. However, There's also a plugin for Unity and it runs quite well. The data was being stored in a Sparse Voxel Octree. A 3D, layered, voxel grid. Traversing this grid is very slow.

To get roun this original UE4 method????

Instead of using voxels to store the data, they're using a 3D texture. Like a cube, or a voxel, but stored as an array of 2D textures. Now it was fast, but this had some problems of its own.

The 3D textures were big and required a lot of memory. To fix this partial resident textures are being used. Partial Resident textures are where it chops up an enormous texture into tiny little tiles, and streams only what is needed, saving both RAM and bandwidth.

So powerful you can store textures as big as 3GB in 16MB of RAM(or eSRAM?).

DirectX 11.2 and the X1 chip architecture is built for doing partial resident resources in hardware. Removes the limitations other software implementations had, which held some engines back, such as John Carmack's Rage.

The X1's architecture and data move engines have tile and untile features natively, in hardware.

Both AMD GPUs in PS4 and Xbox One support partial resident textures, but we know for a fact Microsoft added additional dedicated hardware in the X1 architecture to focus on this area beyond AMD's standard implementations. Where Sony did not.

MS talked about partial resident resources in their DirectX build conference. They explained the move to partial resident resources as a solution. It just might end up being even more important than originally believed. And more recently an unnamed third party developer is touting better ray tracing capabilities on the X1:

Xbox One does, however, boast superior performance to PS4 in other ways. “Let’s say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces – that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU – Xbox One will be likely be faster,” said one developer.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...erences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

DirectX11.2 was only recently unveiled earlier this year. No launch games would have been designed for this. Partial resident textures are still a fairly new technique, and just now getting supported in hardware. Voxel cone ray tracing is also a fairly new implementation. And the alternative of using 3D texture along with partially resident textures is even newer, and not many have attempted it. Developers will certainly need time to start messing around with both.