By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Top 10 Nintendo Fails

happydolphin said:
JoeTheBro said:
happydolphin said:

1. Making the playstation. No that is incorrect. Nintendo can't be to blame for creating a market so successful so as to attract Sony into the arena. No, this is just wishful thinking on the part of a or a few Sony fan(s).

Do you not know the story of PlayStation's genesis?

Nintendo went to Sony with the desire to make a CD add on for the N64.

Sony announced the partnership.

Moments later Nintendo announced it had actually partnered with Philips.

Sony made their own system to stick it to Nintendo.

Yes, I know it very well. The truth is that Ken Kutaragi had been working on Nintendo technology for their audio chips for a long time and was poised to create a console experience that was "better". It was only a matter of time.

Of course they probably would have entered eventually, but without Nintendo it could have been as successful as any other console, instead of domination.

Around the Network

In the spirit of being a good sport and criticizing my favored company, here is my top 10:

10. Not being at the forefront of services like being able to transfer your virtual console games from one device to another without having to buy them 50 times. An online library would do the trick, let people own what they buy. And I realize there are ways around this but they are not easy. It should be seamless.
9. Proper branding to their segmented markets. Yes, the purple cube could turn off certain immature gamers, but they could create another sku for other people. This is one of Nintendo's greatest flaws, their inability to segregate their market offerings and reach out to the disconnected markets.
8. Not including mouse and Keyboard support properly for their games, since the SNES days.
7. Failing to make Metroid Prime a proper competitor to Halo.
6. Losing Rare. What a fucking mistake.
5. Giving in to sales and compromising on art and emotion. This will hurt them in capturing other markets that are also important.
4. Nintendo's inability to project a confident image of itself in the mainstream. (Marketing issue)
3. Losing the rest of the 3rd party support. Mostly due to cartridges and losing square, everything else just collapsed.
2. Virtual boy. This was the start of Nintendo losing its winning streak.
1. Losing FFVII. This is the root to Nintendo completely losing foot in the older teen market.

So like me, right? Bah, who am I trying to please. For every person that says "so like you", there are 3 fingers pointing back.

happydolphin said:

In the spirit of being a good sport and criticizing my favored company, here is my top 10:

10. Not being at the forefront of services like being able to transfer your virtual console games from one device to another without having to buy them 50 times. An online library would do the trick, let people own what they buy. And I realize there are ways around this but they are not easy. It should be seamless.
9. Proper branding to their segmented markets. Yes, the purple cube could turn off certain immature gamers, but they could create another sku for other people. This is one of Nintendo's greatest flaws, their inability to segregate their market offerings and reach out to the disconnected markets.
8. Not including mouse and Keyboard support properly for their games, since the SNES days.
7. Failing to make Metroid Prime a proper competitor to Halo.
6. Losing Rare. What a fucking mistake.
5. Giving in to sales and compromising on art and emotion. This will hurt them in capturing other markets that are also important.
4. Nintendo's inability to project a confident image of itself in the mainstream. (Marketing issue)
3. Losing the rest of the 3rd party support. Mostly due to cartridges and losing square, everything else just collapsed.
2. Virtual boy. This was the start of Nintendo losing its winning streak.
1. Losing FFVII. This is the root to Nintendo completely losing foot in the older teen market.

Well props for trying :)

I agree with your points there, but i still would consider them inadvertedly creating the PlayStation to be their biggest mistake by far, even if the WiiU was to be discontinued tommorow, this would still hold true. It was good for us gamers, but in NO WAY good for Nintendo. Even if Sony was to be a small time player.

Companies want to crush their competitors, not creat more of them.

Somini said:

Well props for trying :)

I agree with your points there, but i still would consider them inadvertedly creating the PlayStation to be their biggest mistake by far, even if the WiiU was to be discontinued tommorow, this would still hold true. It was good for us gamers, but in NO WAY good for Nintendo. Even if Sony was to be a small time player.

Companies want to crush their competitors, not creat more of them.

No problem :)

The truth is, Nintendo never did create the playstation. Sony did. Sony was in it for the kill from the very start, so much so that they wanted royalties on the sales of Nintendo games. That's Nintendo's job damnit! :P Yes, Nintendo pissed them off, and maybe without it the Sony board would never have given the go-ahead for the console at the time, but the truth remains that it was only a matter of time before Sony put its hand into the gaming market, which was only getting bigger.

Marks said:
Dr.Grass said:
Here's some of their mistakes imo:

- Not releasing a Wii HD in 2009/2010

Wouldn't that have been difficult though? Obviously all Wii games would have worked on the Wii HD, but would Wii HD games work on the standard Wii? Or would developers have to release separate Wii and Wii HD versions? 

But I do agree this would have been a great idea if they could make it work. The Wii was arguably outdated upon release, so an HD upgrade halfway thru it's life would have been great for keeping the momentum going. 

The Wii HD console would've been exactly like the Wii U, except no gamepad. The standard control option would've been WiiM+. Of course WW HD games wouldn't have worked on Wii. Not like Nintendo released much since 2010 no Wii anyways.

Around the Network

Yeah, after they said number 10, I couldn't listen to anymore. So I have assume not only is this list out of date but it is just a failure overall.

Oh and here is my own top ten in graphic detail/rant form.

10. No unified online accounts: Really this makes no sense, especially given Nintendo's other strides within setting up their own unique online functions like Miiverse, Club Nintendo and eShop. I can't see why it is so hard rather then binding all that to the console itself, Nintendo just doesn't create a unified accounts that make things less complicated when moving from one system to another or just provides a more streamlined way to have all your purchases recognized. I'm not expecting Live level of content and multimedia features nor am I expecting Playstation Plus type of free games offered (although Club Nintendo could easily be made into something similar). I can't believe it would be that hard to combine these features since they are already up and running and one would hope Nintendo eventually has it in their plans to do so but as of now it is a clear cut failure.
9. Gamecube modem: Built from before the system was released and despite Nintendo seeing a rise of LAN parties during the Goldeneye craze and Sega's willingness to gamble with them porting over their popular Phantsy Star Online franchise, they pretty much put it out there and left it for dead not unlike more then a few accessories they dropped. Now obviously they weren't likely to have a online experience comparable to what Microsoft started with their Live service but had they put HALF the effort they did in other ventures (including the next item on this list) into getting games that used the modem, the GC might have had a stronger following then what it wound up having and some of their online woes of later systems (Friend Codes for every game I looking at you) might not have occurred.
8. Gamecube – Gameboy Advance connectivity: We knew from the start based on the name that Nintendo wanted the Gamecube to be connected with their big money making Gameboy line in ways their previous consoles weren't able to. The idea of games using the Gameboy Advance as a controller or second screen or to get bonus features itself isn't necessarily a terrible idea. The implementation however sucked. They were never able to justify the purchase of a Gameboy Advance for those that already had a GC or vice versa. The bonuses were nice but old games, altered features, it is sort of pointless. The games that required the GBA connection also weren't mainstream enough to get people's attention. In the end, all the time/effort they tried pushing the idea could have been better used else where as these days, Nintendo themselves have barely even tried to push the feature since even in areas where it might have helped.
7. Abandoning C level and below franchises to fate: We all know that making games is a costly and time consuming venture. We all know that Nintendo is a business about getting the most profit as possible from everything they do. That being said, it is idiotic how quickly they seem to drop certain franchises or ventures that don't fit their standard big name brand model. Certain games like Earthbound/Mother where the head creators themselves don't want to do another one, that makes sense. But the way they treat long establish ones like Star Fox, F-Zero and others is heartbreaking. They will be quick to call out to fans for support but in this era of digital releases that rings hollow. Nintendo is one of (if not) the most profitable game companies in the industry. They have teams of developers world wide, you have these characters appearing in your spin off games like Nintendoland, Smash Bros and other spots why is it is so difficult to get them games when it is obvious that they fill needs your other software schedules aren't meeting? Heck the few times they do release games, more often then not they put them in bad spots. Punch-Out! On the Wii was a great game, most people never even knew it was released despite the NES original being one of the classic games of the era. Even just recently, Pikmin 3 was released on the Wii U a system in desperate need of a brand to help push it along and was dropped almost silently like a stone in the ocean. Nintendo needs to support games outside of the Mario, Kirby, Pokemon and Zelda families in the Western territories (where the console market is still king) if only to the degree that they don't have to rely on buzz/word of mouth for the only form of advertisement.
6. 64DD: Many may not know but the N64 had a special add on meant to be released early on that would have pushed the system in some revolutionary ways. The 64DD in a way a successor to the Famicom Disk System and the Super Famicom Satellaview satellite modem add ons. The device was meant as a way to offer cheaper and rewritable medium (the size of the largest N64 cartridges) for games besides cartridges via the magento disks and it would have a online service called Randnet that would allow for web surfing, downloading game demos, online multiplayer, music distribution, game customization features and community interaction such as message boards and chats. This was all planned around 1995, but due to a number of things (the N64 struggles in its home country, the costs, etc.) the project was left in limbo until a small limited release in 1999 exclusively in Japan. With many of its titles being either canceled (Mother/Earthbound 64 and a Pokemon game), released via cartridges without some of the intended features (F-Zero X, Hybrid Heaven and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask) or ported to the Gamecube (Animal Leader aka Cubivore and Resident Evil 0). No telling what this might have meant for the N64 or its legacy if made available closer to the original launch as it was intended or if it delivered on the promise that it seems Nintendo has only been recently able to do with providing a online experience to its consumers before any other system had the chance.

5. Firing Gunpei Yokoi: Father of the Game & Watch, Gameboy and Metriod series. He was made the sacrificial offering after the failure of Virtual Boy despite finishing work on what would become the successful Gameboy Pocket interation of the famed Handheld. Granted in the long run it might not have hurt the company but for those that know the history, Gunpei Yokoi's legacy with the company and the tragic circumstances that lead to his death there is no doubt that this is a failure in the grand scheme of things, as they lost the man that helped build the company and probably could have helped mold their future hardware into better and more profitable devices if still around to collaborate with.

4. R.O.B: For all the talk of gimmickry that the Wii's motion controls or the DS/3DS and Wii U get for touch screens, none of that compares to the Robot buddy known as R.O.B. Worked for only two games and I use the term 'worked' loosely, it is said to have been meant to be Trojan horse to get companies to view the Nintendo system as something different from its competition that died in the video game industry crash of the 80s but there is no denying, for those that wasted money on it or its games they hosed.

3. Virtual Boy: Creation of the system no doubt had the idea of it be revolutionary but the idea that people could adapt to stationary game play, with 3D graphics no better then the SNES but in shades of red proves somewhere along the line testing wasn't done on this device before it was announced or shown. Maybe a little arrogance on Nintendo's part thinking they could adapt the public that far, that fast to something so strange all for the sake of cheap depth illusion in games that were just above SNES capabilities.

2. The Wii U launch: Its almost a year, there is no denying it anymore, Nintendo messed up. Almost all the things that could go wrong with a major hardware launch seemed to hit the Wii U. A massive day 1 firmware update, long load times, lack of original software, consumer confusion (both with the fact that it is a new system and what exactly outside of graphics, how it would compare to the next gen consoles released down the line and its touch interface was the point of it), bad marketing, lack of foresight on using the GamePad itself as a selling point and a host of issues. Many that were within Nintendo's power to control but failure to do so has left the company in its worst starting position in a console race in the company's entire existence.

1. Failure to adopt to CD/DVD medium as the industry shifted: Nintendo's failure to change their gaming medium with the N64 produced a critical blow the company hasn't recovered from. Publishers went for the cheaper to produce and higher storage of CDs taking away one of their previous system's strongest weapon against its competition, the larger number publishers and developers. Maybe Nintendo really was concerned after seeing various other CD based systems like Sega's CD add on and others fail they didn't want to risk it. Maybe Nintendo was concerned about piracy eating away at sales. Maybe they just preferred other publishers having to pay premiums to get bigger carts and the cut they got out of it. Who knows, all that matters is that the N64 was dealt a blow by being cart based  medium and the Gamecube was also dealt one due to Nintendo opting for more secure mini discs and while being a more capable piece of hardware then the PS2, it was frequently skipped over had downgraded versions of games due to companies not wanting to make up the space or do a lot of compression work to fit within the standard GC mini disc. Nintendo did a lot of things in the past to screw over other publishers and developers but the smaller medium they implemented since the N64 period has damaged their reputation worst then anything they have done with a lot of people.

NoirSon said:
Yeah, after they said number 10, I couldn't listen to anymore. So I have assume not only is this list out of date but it is just a failure overall.

haha so you did give it a chance after all huh? Yeah i thought it was a good video. Point 10 is not valid anymore, but was back then.

Have you seen the 2 other ones? Quite interesting.