By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shuhei Yoshida: No Comment on 3DS Competition; Aims to Boost PS Vita With Games and PS4 Remote Play

iamdeath said:

The PsP was not a success?? Ps3 was beaten by it's competitors?

Either way both were successfull.

people saying "Because your not first in sales your not a success" don't live in reality.

Just leave.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Shinobi-san said:

The PSP? The PSP was/is not a successful platform. It's a good example as well if you understand what I'm trying to say (as well as yoshida)....the PSP sold well but wasnt successful.

About the PS3, again you not understanding my point. The PS3 can be considered a successful platform even though it was beaten by competitors. The same applies for the 360. Its a success yet its dead last in sales.

What can we deduce from the PSP, PS3 and 360 (and every other consumer electronics device)? Sales isnt everything. First and foremost a platform needs to be successful and viable for gamers and the platform owners. This is what Yoshida is saying. He is saying they want to make the VITA a success in its own right. Catching up to 3DS sales is not the primary goal and rightfully so. Making the VITA a success is the primary goal. They dont need to catch up to 3DS sales to do that.

Again this is not Sony disregarding Nintendo as competitors. If you read between the lines, what Yoshida is actually saying is that right now the VITA is a failure any way you look at it: profits, competing with 3DS, good install base, sales units, competing with Smartphones etc. They need to first make VITA a success before they start talking about catching up to 3DS sales.

Imagine if Yoshida said the opposite? What would your comment be then? My comment would be "First make some games before you try and beat the 3DS" which is exactly what Yoshida is saying :) Thats why people like him. He says it how it is.

@bold. I understand your point and I see what you are saying and there is truth to what you are saying. BUT, the point _I_ was trying to make is that the PS3 was the successor to the PS2, if you know what that means it means that it was the successor to the greatest video game console of all time.

So, even if it was able to carve a way for itself, and that perseverance pays off, there are important market aspects to consider and let's not say that the PS3 necessarily was made with the best business decisions. Ultimately that's what _I_ was trying to say.

Yes the Vita can carve its own way but the question here is is it enough? Is it a winning strategy? The Wii made its own way too and it paid off, but will it pay off for the Vita?

@Success. I think that is a very interesting point, success is relative to the goals set out by the company. But let's get this straight, this is a company and profits are the bottom line. Money dictates a hell of a lot more than you think, as a gamer, and that is affected by sales. I understand what you mean, but you cannot neglect the importance of sales and profit in this discussion.

IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE OF THIS POST AT LEAST READ THIS:

If so far the PSP and the Vita have not found success using the  traditional PS strategy in the handheld space, why would PS3-Gaikai and PS4 cross-platform play change any of that?

The PSp was a success, saying it wasn't is plain fantasy.

iamdeath said:

What's the value of this post?

happydolphin said:
iamdeath said:

people saying "Because your not first in sales your not a success" don't live in reality.

Just leave.

I can and will post where and when i want, get over yuorself. saying the PSp and it's 80 + milloon units was nto a success is lunacy and simply not reality.

happydolphin said:
iamdeath said:

What's the value of this one?

Around the Network
iamdeath said:
Shinobi-san said:

The PSP? The PSP was/is not a successful platform. It's a good example as well if you understand what I'm trying to say (as well as yoshida)....the PSP sold well but wasnt successful.

About the PS3, again you not understanding my point. The PS3 can be considered a successful platform even though it was beaten by competitors. The same applies for the 360. Its a success yet its dead last in sales.

What can we deduce from the PSP, PS3 and 360 (and every other consumer electronics device)? Sales isnt everything. First and foremost a platform needs to be successful and viable for gamers and the platform owners. This is what Yoshida is saying. He is saying they want to make the VITA a success in its own right. Catching up to 3DS sales is not the primary goal and rightfully so. Making the VITA a success is the primary goal. They dont need to catch up to 3DS sales to do that.

Again this is not Sony disregarding Nintendo as competitors. If you read between the lines, what Yoshida is actually saying is that right now the VITA is a failure any way you look at it: profits, competing with 3DS, good install base, sales units, competing with Smartphones etc. They need to first make VITA a success before they start talking about catching up to 3DS sales.

Imagine if Yoshida said the opposite? What would your comment be then? My comment would be "First make some games before you try and beat the 3DS" which is exactly what Yoshida is saying :) Thats why people like him. He says it how it is.

Hmm the PSP is actually a more complex situation than i make it out to be. 

In general though, i dont view the PSP as a success except in Japan. Despite it's hardware sales being pretty impressive worlwide..

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

iamdeath said:
happydolphin said:
iamdeath said:

The value is that I am pointing out to you your attitude is wrong. You don't just say "What you said is lunacy" or "what you said is not in reality". You give reasons why you think that and we discuss.

Otherwise, all you're doing is playing the console war, which is what you've been doing since you've joined this board.

Funny how he and both his kids own a 3DS. LOL

happydolphin said:
iamdeath said:
happydolphin said:
iamdeath said:

The value is that I am pointing out to you your attitude is wrong. You don't just say "What you said is lunacy" or "what you said is not in reality". You give reasons why you think that and we discuss.

Otherwise, all you're doing is playing the console war, which is what you've been doing since you've joined this board.

And the value of mind was showing how poor your post was, point? The PSP sold mroe then a good many hiome consoels and spawned numerous great games and a successor. I don't need to spell out why it was a success, come on, what is this pre-school?

iamdeath said:

And the value of mind was showing how poor your post was, point?

Point is that you are playing a game of antagonism, it's boring for everyone and doesn't lead to any kind of constructive discussion.

it's borderline  trolling and you should be ashamed of it.