By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shuhei Yoshida: No Comment on 3DS Competition; Aims to Boost PS Vita With Games and PS4 Remote Play

Cj2i3 said:
Anfebious said:
I don't see the PS Vita getting a huge boost because of PS4 remote play. I think the PSP reached decent sales thanks to the emulators you could put in it...

Same I don't see myself or many others running out to get a Veeta just for remote play, it's definitely a nice feature if you already have a Vita and want to cross play with the upcoming PS4. Veeeta just targets the completely wrong demographic and now Sony paying for its mistakes.

Exactly man . I still see potential in it, I mean it looks like a nice and powerful piece of hardware but it needs more games :/

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Shinobi-san said:

Yoshida said nothing about the 3DS not being VITA competition. He said it doesnt make sense for them to concentrate on catching the 3DS but more just to improve the base of the VITA in general. In other words make the VITA a successful platform. The VITA can be successful at the same time as the 3DS.

Right now VITA is doing badly irrespective of competition.

A good example is the PS3. It got beat by competition for most of this gen but its been a successful platform for a while now, regardless of how well the compettion is doing.

And what about the PSP? It didn't reach DS-levels of sales yet it did its own thing. The PS3 doing what it did is nothing compared to what the Sony brand is capable of doing in the home console space.

However, when it comes to market dominance, that's Nintendo's thing in the handheld space. Is it really careful business sense to ignore the dominating platform on the market?

Unless Shuhei has a really good idea of what he's doing and has a few aces up his sleeve, the logic you and pokoko are proposing are insane from a business perspective in the current handheld climate.

The PSP? The PSP was/is not a successful platform. It's a good example as well if you understand what I'm trying to say (as well as yoshida)....the PSP sold well but wasnt successful.

About the PS3, again you not understanding my point. The PS3 can be considered a successful platform even though it was beaten by competitors. The same applies for the 360. Its a success yet its dead last in sales.

What can we deduce from the PSP, PS3 and 360 (and every other consumer electronics device)? Sales isnt everything. First and foremost a platform needs to be successful and viable for gamers and the platform owners. This is what Yoshida is saying. He is saying they want to make the VITA a success in its own right. Catching up to 3DS sales is not the primary goal and rightfully so. Making the VITA a success is the primary goal. They dont need to catch up to 3DS sales to do that.

Again this is not Sony disregarding Nintendo as competitors. If you read between the lines, what Yoshida is actually saying is that right now the VITA is a failure any way you look at it: profits, competing with 3DS, good install base, sales units, competing with Smartphones etc. They need to first make VITA a success before they start talking about catching up to 3DS sales.

Imagine if Yoshida said the opposite? What would your comment be then? My comment would be "First make some games before you try and beat the 3DS" which is exactly what Yoshida is saying :) Thats why people like him. He says it how it is.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Euphoria14 said:
happydolphin said:
pokoko said:

You being who you are, this is what I expect.  If you can turn this into a epeen fight, you will.  The dualshockers flame-bait title has a bit to do with it, sure, but you probably would have taken it down this route regardless.  Congrats, though, as you've pretty much destroyed any hope this thread had of being about what Yoshida actually said.  I leave the wreckage in your hands to do with as you will.  I've already moved on.

No, you have broken this thread a long time ago. People are discussing here something quite key to the OP.

Sony denies catching up to 3DS: the main point of the topic.

Shuhei then goes on to explain the specifics of the strategy of Sony going their own way.

However, the nagging question remains, and it's: if it didn't work before, why should it work now?

The definition of insanity is to repeat a failing procedure hoping for a different outcome. Is that the idea of this forum, where people don't consider the important questions?

If that's what you want, it's not the forum I joined. I joined when there were intelligent topics about topics that mattered in the industry.

Anyway, whatever.

Forgive me if I am reading this wrong, but is this to say that the discussion me, Pokoko or anyone else on our line of thinking wants to have isn't intelligent?

I leave you to your superiority sir.

No, that's not what I'm saying. It's to say that there is much to talk about in this thread about ignoring the market dominator in the handheld space. What you want to talk about is not lesser, it's just that you, pokoko and company want to stop people from talking about a pretty major aspect of this thread and it makes me want to pull my hair out.

pokoko said:

You know, I almost feel like I owe you an apology.  Maybe you weren't really trying to derail this thread.  Instead, it appears your reading comprehension skills and ability to understand context are just really, really bad.

Either that, or you're just reading what you want to read, regardless of what was actually intended.

No, you owe an apology to everyone in this thread, to me and to the forum in general for behaving the way you are.

There are clearly two aspects to this thread, the catching up to the 3DS and the Vita's path on its own. Your white-knight attitude is not only annoying but it also blocks people from talking about stuff that is interesting while making them feel like they are off topic when they aren't, and at the same time saying they have an agenda.

So you owe an apology not just to me but to the forum in general. You and everyone who continually posts the way you do in this kind of manner.

happydolphin said:
Euphoria14 said:
happydolphin said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wow, this topic totally went to shit real quick.

Not even sure if the actual subject matter has been touched upon yet.

when asked on what he plans to do to catch up to the 3DS.

"We don’t necessarily talk about catching up to the 3DS"

We're on topic and anyone who says otherwise totally missed the point of this thread.

I figured the point of the thread is what Yoshida was speaking about, which is what the current plans are to boost the sales of the PSVita. Not why people think he isn't wanting to sit there and compare Vita and 3DS in an interview.

But by all means go ahead and let's discuss what the interview said nothing about and i'll be the guy who doesn't understand the point of the thread and the words spoken in the interview.

I'm only stating this thread went downhill, which it did.

You don't understand the thread because you don't want to. I think that's pretty clear. The heart of this OP is twofold:

1) We are not playing catch up with the 3DS.

2) The means to achieve a successful path that is all Vita's.

For 2, let me help you, here is what Sony plans on doing:

a) A hardware revision: For us to be able to provide better hardware, in our mind – the new PS Vita is slimmer and lighter, easier to hold, has some internal memory from the get-go, so it’s a bit more value

b) More games by virtue dedicated vita games, cross-platform connectivity and streaming services:  

"– but the important thing is to continue to provide great games and game experiences. The games can come not only from PS Vita’s dedicated games – Vita and PS4 are designed with each other in mind, to connect to each other. If you own a PS4, you can play PS4 games via remote play, and once we start the Gaikai service, you’ll be able to play PS3 games on PS Vita. We continue to add our services on PlayStation, and for PS Vita, the enjoyment and the sources of games will expand, not just from PS Vita dedicated games. Those are the strengths that we have on PS Vita compared to other products – it’s a device that you can use to enjoy PlayStation content from different sources."

Wao~

O_O

Wow.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:

The PSP? The PSP was/is not a successful platform. It's a good example as well if you understand what I'm trying to say (as well as yoshida)....the PSP sold well but wasnt successful.

About the PS3, again you not understanding my point. The PS3 can be considered a successful platform even though it was beaten by competitors. The same applies for the 360. Its a success yet its dead last in sales.

What can we deduce from the PSP, PS3 and 360 (and every other consumer electronics device)? Sales isnt everything. First and foremost a platform needs to be successful and viable for gamers and the platform owners. This is what Yoshida is saying. He is saying they want to make the VITA a success in its own right. Catching up to 3DS sales is not the primary goal and rightfully so. Making the VITA a success is the primary goal. They dont need to catch up to 3DS sales to do that.

Again this is not Sony disregarding Nintendo as competitors. If you read between the lines, what Yoshida is actually saying is that right now the VITA is a failure any way you look at it: profits, competing with 3DS, good install base, sales units, competing with Smartphones etc. They need to first make VITA a success before they start talking about catching up to 3DS sales.

Imagine if Yoshida said the opposite? What would your comment be then? My comment would be "First make some games before you try and beat the 3DS" which is exactly what Yoshida is saying :) Thats why people like him. He says it how it is.

@bold. I understand your point and I see what you are saying and there is truth to what you are saying. BUT, the point _I_ was trying to make is that the PS3 was the successor to the PS2, if you know what that means it means that it was the successor to the greatest video game console of all time.

So, even if it was able to carve a way for itself, and that perseverance pays off, there are important market aspects to consider and let's not say that the PS3 necessarily was made with the best business decisions. Ultimately that's what _I_ was trying to say.

Yes the Vita can carve its own way but the question here is is it enough? Is it a winning strategy? The Wii made its own way too and it paid off, but will it pay off for the Vita?

@Success. I think that is a very interesting point, success is relative to the goals set out by the company. But let's get this straight, this is a company and profits are the bottom line. Money dictates a hell of a lot more than you think, as a gamer, and that is affected by sales. I understand what you mean, but you cannot neglect the importance of sales and profit in this discussion.

IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE OF THIS POST AT LEAST READ THIS:

If so far the PSP and the Vita have not found success using the  traditional PS strategy in the handheld space, why would PS3-Gaikai and PS4 cross-platform play change any of that?

Euphoria14 said:

Yes, you are right and everyone else is wrong. We got that already.

People want to discuss the other portion of the answer. The part that is 95% of the answer. Obviously that is wrong.

So I will leave the thread as it is clear any of my contributions will just be belittled, as shown with you claiming I don't understand how to interpret the words written in the interview.

Thanks though. I will try to better myself for the next go round.

You are fine, just stop telling people they are off topic or have an agenda or that the thread went to shit.

Please and thanks.

happydolphin said:
Shinobi-san said:

@bold. I understand your point and I see what you are saying and there is truth to what you are saying. BUT, the point _I_ was trying to make is that the PS3 was the successor to the PS2, if you know what that means it means that it was the successor to the greatest video game console of all time.

So, even if it was able to carve a way for itself, and that perseverance pays off, there are important market aspects to consider and let's not say that the PS3 necessarily was made with the best business decisions. Ultimately that's what _I_ was trying to say.

Yes the Vita can carve its own way but the question here is is it enough? Is it a winning strategy? The Wii made its own way too and it paid off, but will it pay off for the Vita?

@Success. I think that is a very interesting point, success is relative to the goals set out by the company. But let's get this straight, this is a company and profits are the bottom line. Money dictates a hell of a lot more than you think, as a gamer, and that is affected by sales. I understand what you mean, but you cannot neglect the importance of sales and profit in this discussion.

IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE OF THIS POST AT LEAST READ THIS:

If so far the PSP and the Vita have not found success using the  traditional PS strategy in the handheld space, why would PS3-Gaikai and PS4 cross-platform play change any of that?

PS3 being a successor to the PS2 is irrelevant in this context. I simply used the PS3 as example because it was last in sales yet it was profitable and a success. Same goes for the 360. The previous gen has got nothing to do with what im saying?

Also carving your own way or path as you are describing it doesnt necessarily mean not competing. What Yoshida is saying is that they need to make a successfuly platform. Thats all he said. He says nothing about not competing. This is where people are getting confused with your posts because you keep adding in something that Yoshida didnt say or even suggest.

Is making the Vita a successful platform a winning strategy? Lol yes ofcourse it is.

Not sure why you post goes into detail about what success is....my previous post doesnt suggest that i dont think success has anything to with profit, sales etc. In fact i even mentioned those exact things in a way to measure success.

To your last paragraph...I dont know. But atleast we going on topic now

Pavolink said:
Well, their portable is been crushed with astronimical ratios (47:1) in the past weeks in Japan. Nothing good can be said. Same happen with Nintendo and Wii. At first they showed proudly the sales, but now they try to hide as much as possible.

I bet you change your tune on the wii-u when the Ps4 and x1 blow past it right?

Shinobi-san said:
happydolphin said:
Shinobi-san said:

Yoshida said nothing about the 3DS not being VITA competition. He said it doesnt make sense for them to concentrate on catching the 3DS but more just to improve the base of the VITA in general. In other words make the VITA a successful platform. The VITA can be successful at the same time as the 3DS.

Right now VITA is doing badly irrespective of competition.

A good example is the PS3. It got beat by competition for most of this gen but its been a successful platform for a while now, regardless of how well the compettion is doing.

And what about the PSP? It didn't reach DS-levels of sales yet it did its own thing. The PS3 doing what it did is nothing compared to what the Sony brand is capable of doing in the home console space.

However, when it comes to market dominance, that's Nintendo's thing in the handheld space. Is it really careful business sense to ignore the dominating platform on the market?

Unless Shuhei has a really good idea of what he's doing and has a few aces up his sleeve, the logic you and pokoko are proposing are insane from a business perspective in the current handheld climate.

The PsP was not a success?? Ps3 was beaten by it's competitors?

Either way both were successfull.

people saying "Because your not first in sales your not a success" don't live in reality.