By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - NHL thread: Updated standings!

Tagged games:

Are suspensions getting ridiculous?

Yes 26 45.61%

No 27 47.37%

Total:53
impertinence said:
chocoloco said:
impertinence said:

Yes, very poor. Miller is the best goalie in the NHL right now

The Blues are like the Wild, they run a defensive system that will make almost any goaltender look better than they are as  compared to if they have played for almost any other team. This makes him a great goalie that is made look better by his team , not the best goalie.

Did you watch Ryan Miller play for the Sabres? How would you describe the defensive system that Ryan Millar has played behind for over 10 years? If you think I'm the kind of guy who declares someone the best goalie in the world based on a 5 game sample you are wrong. Ryan Miller is an exeptional goalie who has virtually no technical flaws in his game. The one critisism you might have is that he sometimes can be a little soft high glove on point shots. When it comes to reflexes, mental focus, and ability to stay with the shooter he is absolutely world class. His ability to play the angles and take away the net for a shooter is unmatched. 

Jaroslav Halak is a very good goalie, Ryan Miller is a great goalie, perhaps even a future HoF goalie. 

I do not care about your long retort . You come across as angry and arrogant in your posts.

No, I do not watch Buffalo. They are one of the worst in the Eastern  Conference. On top of that, the Eastern Conference  is way worse than the West anyways. I want to watch elite hockey not a great step dow.

Your logic is strange. If I cannot develop an opinion of a goalie without following a team, than everyone would have to watch every goalie play for every game to declare one the best. Did you watch every game of Semyon Varlamov this year for example? To truly know his influence on the Avalanche all year. No.

My point was that St. Louis has one of the best defenses in the league. The defense makes the goalie look better than they would with just an average defense. The Blues as a team will make Miller look better and there is no disputing that.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
hollabackenny said:
theRepublic said:

When was the last time Halak or Elliott proved themselves in the playoffs?

Elliot - Never
Halak - few years ago for the Canadiens. 

Not with the Blues.  Otherwise he would still be on the team.

I'm sorry he played a total of two games in the playoffs for the Blues, went 1-1 with a .935 sv% and 1.73 GA but for some reason they favored Elliot.

if blackhawks continue this way for the rest of the season then id be surprised if they make it into the playoffs. all the signs of a collapse at the stretch are all there.

an example of a good defense playing in front of a goalie to make them look better is the blackhawks. Crawford would b.e a backup on every other playoff team (that i can think of off the top of my head)

chocoloco said:
impertinence said:
chocoloco said:
impertinence said:

Yes, very poor. Miller is the best goalie in the NHL right now

The Blues are like the Wild, they run a defensive system that will make almost any goaltender look better than they are as  compared to if they have played for almost any other team. This makes him a great goalie that is made look better by his team , not the best goalie.

Did you watch Ryan Miller play for the Sabres? How would you describe the defensive system that Ryan Millar has played behind for over 10 years? If you think I'm the kind of guy who declares someone the best goalie in the world based on a 5 game sample you are wrong. Ryan Miller is an exeptional goalie who has virtually no technical flaws in his game. The one critisism you might have is that he sometimes can be a little soft high glove on point shots. When it comes to reflexes, mental focus, and ability to stay with the shooter he is absolutely world class. His ability to play the angles and take away the net for a shooter is unmatched. 

Jaroslav Halak is a very good goalie, Ryan Miller is a great goalie, perhaps even a future HoF goalie. 

I do not care about your long retort . You come across as angry and arrogant in your posts.

No, I do not watch Buffalo. They are one of the worst in the Eastern  Conference. On top of that, the Eastern Conference  is way worse than the West anyways. I want to watch elite hockey not a great step dow.

Your logic is strange. If I cannot develop an opinion of a goalie without following a team, than everyone would have to watch every goalie play for every game to declare one the best. Did you watch every game of Semyon Varlamov this year for example? To truly know his influence on the Avalanche all year. No.

My point was that St. Louis has one of the best defenses in the league. The defense makes the goalie look better than they would with just an average defense. The Blues as a team will make Miller look better and there is no disputing that.

Yeah, and you don't sound arrogant at all when you claim Miller is a product of the great St. Louis defense all the while admitting to not watching the Sabres. You know, the team that Ryan Miller played 540 of his career 547 games for. Unlike you, I have seen Ryan Miller play for the Sabres and can make a call on the ability of him as a goalie independent of the strength of the Blues defense. Because I have seen him play many many games behind the worst defense in the NHL.

Where you get the idea that I think you need to see every game a goalie plays to have an opinion on his game is a mystery. I said that it's not possible to know the skill level of Ryan Miller if you have not watched him play in Buffalo. Becuse he has played over 500 games in Buffalo and 7 somewhere else. You can't make an educated assesement of him as a goalie based on the work his done in St. Louis. After all, the reason why you are getting schooled about this at all is because you claimed that the Blues will make Miller look better than he really is.

Finally, Ryan Miller is a better goalie than Varlamov, and I say that without having seen every game of either goalie. I will give you this though, Varlamov is a better comaprisson to Miller than Halak, since they are actually similar in some ways (great reflexes and greta positioning). I have seen enough Varlamov games both when he was in Washington and with the Avs to know why he has suddenly emerged as a top flight goalie, and I have also seen enough to know that his issues with consistency can't be said to be a thing of the past yet.

hollabackenny said:
theRepublic said:
hollabackenny said:
theRepublic said:

When was the last time Halak or Elliott proved themselves in the playoffs?

Elliot - Never
Halak - few years ago for the Canadiens. 

Not with the Blues.  Otherwise he would still be on the team.

I'm sorry he played a total of two games in the playoffs for the Blues, went 1-1 with a .935 sv% and 1.73 GA but for some reason they favored Elliot.

That's because Halak couldn't stay healthy over the course of the season.  He was always banged up come playoff time.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Really cool thing the Sharks / Make a WIsh foundation put together for this kid battling with a heart condition. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSJHQFHbGA

hollabackenny said:

Really cool thing the Sharks / Make a WIsh foundation put together for this kid battling with a heart condition. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSJHQFHbGA

awesome man thanx for sharing that!!  That kinda stuff is one of my favorite aspects of sports.. our teams really do great things for the community.  In vancouver we got Canucks Place Childrens hospice, Lots of players get deeply involved.  

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

So it looks pretty doubtful Vancouver will make it. Minnesota is still in 7th but PHX & DAL have been catching up. Teams we expected to make it have. Choco must be happy with the AVS. Play-off layout is a bit weird this year though with wildcards able to jump divisions.

We knew Vancouver wouldn't make it a long time ago.