By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 'Forced Camera Anti-Consumer' Says Sony

Tagged games:

wick said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I guess the forced camera on your phone and laptop is anti-consumer also? Lol give me a break.

Camera's were included on phones and laptops due to demand for them.

I still don't see the screaming demand for Kinect 2.0 apart from the most dedicated Microsoft followers.

Considering the fact that you don't even have to use the Kinect I don't see the problem. It's not like someone is holding a gun to your head telling you to use the Kinect. 

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
wick said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I guess the forced camera on your phone and laptop is anti-consumer also? Lol give me a break.

I still don't see the screaming demand for Kinect 2.0 apart from the most dedicated Microsoft followers.

Considering the fact that you don't even have to use the Kinect I don't see the problem. It's not like someone is holding a gun to your head telling you to use the Kinect. 

You do still have to pay for it though, even if you aren't going to use it. Some people are upset about that, which is fine. But it's a far stretch to cry that it goes against consumer choice.

NobleTeam360 said:
wick said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Considering the fact that you don't even have to use the Kinect I don't see the problem.

Lets consider also the fact that you have to pay for it.

That's the problem.

And well... Kinect 2 isn't cheap at all.

A Xbox One without Kinect is a matter of time, mark my words.

wick said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Demand and it got to the point where cameras don't really add to the cost of the phone anymore so it doesn't make sense NOT to add it

landguy1 said:
thismeintiel said:
TruckOSaurus said:

From what we currently know, yes Kinect is not a required component for gaming on the XBO. Just like we know now that the Blu-Ray drive was not a required component on the PS3 (because a DVD drive would have worked just fine).

Lol, with that logic, we should have just stuck with CD players for all consoles and VHSs for movies.  Games kept getting bigger with each gen.  Sony knew this, as well as the fact that there hadn't really been an advancement in the way we watch movies (including the quality in which we watch them), for nearly 10 years.  This was just the natural progression in which we store games and movies.  It was evident it was needed, even in the 7th gen, as several games on the 360 came in 2 or more DVDs.  It is also better that Blu-ray released last gen, as the advances in the tech, as well as the price reduction that comes from those advances, will be applied to the PS4 and One.

Kinect, on the other hand, seems more like a remnant of a motion control fad from last gen.  One that slowly died as the gen began to die.  This is evident in the fact that Sony and Nintendo are no longer focusing on motion gaming as a big factor to gaming, only incorporating it in small doses.  Heck, even MS hasn't really demonstrated a use for the new Kinect that a normal web cam/mic couldn't achieve with decent SW, especially the voice commands.  They don't even have a launch game, other than 2-3 rehashes from last gen, that pushes the Kinect to the forefront.  Even Ryse, one of their big exclusives, went from a Kinect game to a controller game.

Logic???

No one has stated that the Bluray wan't the next step in evolution of the disc drive systems.  All that has been stated is that it wasn't needed last gen for a GAME system.  No need to bring up movies, as that is not a GAME system requirement.  The whole point that people knock on the Kinect being added into the XB1 is that it is not a requirement, it is an additional thing that is not needed for a GAME system.

The 360's muilti-disc games, as well as MS switching to Blu-ray, disagrees with you.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
landguy1 said:
thismeintiel said:
TruckOSaurus said:

From what we currently know, yes Kinect is not a required component for gaming on the XBO. Just like we know now that the Blu-Ray drive was not a required component on the PS3 (because a DVD drive would have worked just fine).

Lol, with that logic, we should have just stuck with CD players for all consoles and VHSs for movies.  Games kept getting bigger with each gen.  Sony knew this, as well as the fact that there hadn't really been an advancement in the way we watch movies (including the quality in which we watch them), for nearly 10 years.  This was just the natural progression in which we store games and movies.  It was evident it was needed, even in the 7th gen, as several games on the 360 came in 2 or more DVDs.  It is also better that Blu-ray released last gen, as the advances in the tech, as well as the price reduction that comes from those advances, will be applied to the PS4 and One.

Kinect, on the other hand, seems more like a remnant of a motion control fad from last gen.  One that slowly died as the gen began to die.  This is evident in the fact that Sony and Nintendo are no longer focusing on motion gaming as a big factor to gaming, only incorporating it in small doses.  Heck, even MS hasn't really demonstrated a use for the new Kinect that a normal web cam/mic couldn't achieve with decent SW, especially the voice commands.  They don't even have a launch game, other than 2-3 rehashes from last gen, that pushes the Kinect to the forefront.  Even Ryse, one of their big exclusives, went from a Kinect game to a controller game.

Logic???

No one has stated that the Bluray wan't the next step in evolution of the disc drive systems.  All that has been stated is that it wasn't needed last gen for a GAME system.  No need to bring up movies, as that is not a GAME system requirement.  The whole point that people knock on the Kinect being added into the XB1 is that it is not a requirement, it is an additional thing that is not needed for a GAME system.

The 360's muilti-disc games, as well as MS switching to Blu-ray, disagrees with you.

Nintendo doesn't use Blu Ray.  

Blu Ray was anti-consumer last gen if kinect is this gen.  It was an extra added that was NOT needed.  PS3 could have still worked with a dvd drive instead of blu ray.  The Blu Ray drive was an un-NEEDed expense.  It was not NEEDED.  No arguing over if it was a good thing or wanted, the fact was it was not NEEDED to play games.  A cheaper alternative would have worked (dvd drive) or any drive, hell Nintendo hasn't ever even had a dvd drive.  Not sure what you call them, but they have never been able to play dvd's or blu rays or any type of movie format.

So is adding something not NEEDED anti-consumer?

OR

is what you guys seem to be arguing "Whatever I don't like is anti-consumer"  You liked blu ray and thus thinks its a bonus gift, you don't like kinect and thus think its anti-consumer.  So OPINION it is.   But difference is, some games REQUIRE kinect to play.  No games require blu ray to play.

how about forcing the consumers to pay to play online when it was previously free on the predecessor? You aren't exactly upholding that consumer choice philosophy

irstupid said:

Nintendo doesn't use Blu Ray.  

Blu Ray was anti-consumer last gen if kinect is this gen.  It was an extra added that was NOT needed.  PS3 could have still worked with a dvd drive instead of blu ray.  The Blu Ray drive was an un-NEEDed expense.  It was not NEEDED.  No arguing over if it was a good thing or wanted, the fact was it was not NEEDED to play games.  A cheaper alternative would have worked (dvd drive) or any drive, hell Nintendo hasn't ever even had a dvd drive.  Not sure what you call them, but they have never been able to play dvd's or blu rays or any type of movie format.

So is adding something not NEEDED anti-consumer?

OR

is what you guys seem to be arguing "Whatever I don't like is anti-consumer"  You liked blu ray and thus thinks its a bonus gift, you don't like kinect and thus think its anti-consumer.  So OPINION it is.   But difference is, some games REQUIRE kinect to play.  No games require blu ray to play.

How many times do I need to repeat myself before people like you get the picture?

1. no one said kinect was anti consumer

2. If blu-ray was not needed last gen then niether was 512mb of RAM last gen and 4gb of RAM this gen... but that argument is 100% asinine and no one would make it. Ps3 would not have worked without a disc drive. Everyone would agree with that. Making it a blu-ray play is the equivalent of adding 4gb of RAM. It's a natural progression and expected upgrade to a following console. Just like I expect i-phone 6 to have something new

irstupid said:

is what you guys seem to be arguing "Whatever I don't like is anti-consumer"

Ding ding ding!

What's sadder is even with the luxury of complete hindsight on the generation, they still defend Bluray in this matter.

Max King of the Wild said:
TruckOSaurus said:

If you wanna see it that way go ahead but that means that in your view, Kinect on XBO is just an extra bonus too. My point is that having Kinect with every XBO is the same than having a Blu-Ray player in every PS3 and it still stands. They're both unnecessary components that every consummer is forced to buy whether they want it or not.

Not at all. Both RAM and a Disc Drive are essential components to a gaming machine. Increasing specs the following gen is not the same as forcing someone to buy a peripheral

I think this is the main point of the argument.  Blu-ray was a step up in something that was NECESSARY for the console to even operate.  Kinect is a peripheral that is 100% UNECESSARY to play games, yet you have to buy just to get the system (at least this year).  Blu-ray has proved itself necessary, as games continue to get larger and larger.  And if Sony didn't bite the bullet this gen (the PS3 actually cost $800+ to make, but launched at the same price as the One is launching at, $499), then we would be seeing those upfront costs/losses added to this gen.  This would mean Sony would have to charge more for the PS4 or take a larger loss.  And MS would have most likely stayed with DVDs, again, causing almost all of their games to require 2 or more DVDs.

Like I said earlier, though, I fully expect most of these posters to bactrack when MS releases a Kinectless SKU.  You will no longer hear about how "everyone has the same console experience" or that "the One is built around Kinect."  Instead you will hear them praise MS for "lowering the price" and "it's a great business decision" and "they are giving consumer's a choice."