By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is the 3DS using the 2008 or 2010 model of the PICA200 GPU series?

Tagged games:

What model of the PICA200 series do you think is in the 3DS?

2008=Vertex Performence 4... 18 19.78%

2010 = Vertex Performence, the heck if I know 28 30.77%

See results 45 49.45%

Total:91
Kaizar said:
MohammadBadir said:
3DS games would look a bazillion times better if Nintendo went with a freaking 2-5 dollar 480p screen instead of that 10 dollar 3D screen!

3D 240p looks much more better then 2D 4K HD.

I would rather have 3D 240p then 2D 480p.

3D makes everything look way more clearer looking as well as way more anti-aliasing looking as well as brighter looking and more vivid looking and it makes the colors look a lot more of the same colors (so I guess I would say it makes every color look much more deeper looking).

240p in 3D looks as good as 2D 5K HD for crying out loud.

You can't give me the 3DS beauty (when the 3D is ON) on a 2D less then 5K HD display.

The bolded is just factually incorrect.

When viewing stereoscopic content on any 3D screen, the image at max is half as bright as the 2D output at max brightness. In the 3DS's case this is because each eye is only seeing half the pixels/half the screen. Each eye gets 400 by 240 pixels of light, while in 2D mode each eye gets 800 by 240 pixels of light. On the 3DS Nintendo combats this by automatically boosting the screen brightness when entering 3D mode. With active shutter glasses, it's because each eye is only getting half the frames. Really simply this is why 3D glasses kinda look like cheap sunglasses.

This is nothing to do with opinions, just hardware.

Clearer and anti-aliasing though are very true.

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
oni-link said:
I really like the capabilities of the 3DS for a dedicated handheld. I think Nintendo hit it on the nail in terms of matching two ARM11 dual-core CPU along with the PICA200(a GPU made for 3D). My only gripe as with the Wii U is the amount of RAM the system has. In addition to the 6MB of dedicated VRAM the 3DS only has an additional 128MB of system RAM for both OS and video. Nintendo really should have put at least 256MB on the 3DS (and at least 3GB on the Wii U) to really extend the systems capabilities for a few more years. Anyways, I got my LG Nexus 4 for web-browsing and I am happy with the visuals on games the 3DS has so far released.

If you were to test the 128 MB FCRAM you would think it was much more then 300 MB of RAM, but in reality it's just 128 MB that is really efficient which might be an understatement about its effiencency.

then what is the main reason for the ineffective browser?  Don't get me wrong, in terms of games the Vita and 3DS  are like PS2 vs original Xbox where visuals don't matter as much as content.  But functionally the 3DS just doesn't do great for web browsing...maybe/possibly due to the small 128MB system FCRAM that really should have been double of what it is for other functionality than just games!

oni-link said:
Kaizar said:
oni-link said:
I really like the capabilities of the 3DS for a dedicated handheld. I think Nintendo hit it on the nail in terms of matching two ARM11 dual-core CPU along with the PICA200(a GPU made for 3D). My only gripe as with the Wii U is the amount of RAM the system has. In addition to the 6MB of dedicated VRAM the 3DS only has an additional 128MB of system RAM for both OS and video. Nintendo really should have put at least 256MB on the 3DS (and at least 3GB on the Wii U) to really extend the systems capabilities for a few more years. Anyways, I got my LG Nexus 4 for web-browsing and I am happy with the visuals on games the 3DS has so far released.

If you were to test the 128 MB FCRAM you would think it was much more then 300 MB of RAM, but in reality it's just 128 MB that is really efficient which might be an understatement about its effiencency.

then what is the main reason for the ineffective browser?  Don't get me wrong, in terms of games the Vita and 3DS  are like PS2 vs original Xbox where visuals don't matter as much as content.  But functionally the 3DS just doesn't do great for web browsing...maybe/possibly due to the small 128MB system FCRAM that really should have been double of what it is for other functionality than just games!

I thought the VRAM takes care of browser, it is a multitasking app. 6 or so MB of VRAM would explain it.

JoeTheBro said:
Kaizar said:
MohammadBadir said:
3DS games would look a bazillion times better if Nintendo went with a freaking 2-5 dollar 480p screen instead of that 10 dollar 3D screen!

3D 240p looks much more better then 2D 4K HD.

I would rather have 3D 240p then 2D 480p.

3D makes everything look way more clearer looking as well as way more anti-aliasing looking as well as brighter looking and more vivid looking and it makes the colors look a lot more of the same colors (so I guess I would say it makes every color look much more deeper looking).

240p in 3D looks as good as 2D 5K HD for crying out loud.

You can't give me the 3DS beauty (when the 3D is ON) on a 2D less then 5K HD display.

When viewing stereoscopic content on any 3D screen, the image at max is half as bright as the 2D output at max brightness. In the 3DS's case this is because each eye is only seeing half the pixels/half the screen. Each eye gets 400 by 240 pixels of light, while in 2D mode each eye gets 800 by 240 pixels of light. On the 3DS Nintendo combats this by automatically boosting the screen brightness when entering 3D mode. With active shutter glasses, it's because each eye is only getting half the frames. Really simply this is why 3D glasses kinda look like cheap sunglasses.

I said brighter LOOKING.

Not actually brighter, LOL.

Plus 3D movies in theaters & on 3D TVs also look brighter LOOKING.

Kaizar said:
JoeTheBro said:

I said brighter LOOKING.

Not actually brighter, LOL.

Plus 3D movies in theaters & on 3D TVs also look brighter LOOKING.

There isn't a difference between actually brighter and brighter looking in this situation, beyond of course human error.

Around the Network

3DS is just the perfect if not near perfect dedicated handheld system at the moment. It has the right balance of performance, price, and game library. The only gripe I have is the low amount of FCRAM of 128MB; since it really should have at least 256MB instead!!! Well at least having two dual-core ARM11 CPU and a somewhat modern GPU in PICA200 2010 ver. does help the system remain competitive with it's competitors in terms of gaming performance.

Kaizar said:
oni-link said:
Kaizar said:
oni-link said:

I thought the VRAM takes care of browser, it is a multitasking app. 6 or so MB of VRAM would explain it.

I thought the 128MB FCRAM was shared and split between games and system apps.  That explains the horrible performance of the browser if it is only using 6MB of VRAM!!!  I still can't believe how much RAM is needed to run games now!  Not so long ago PSP's 32MB of RAM was considered huge for a handheld.

Oh how did I get here?

oh man Kaizars posts are pure gold homie.....

DieAppleDie said:
oh man Kaizars posts are pure gold homie.....

He does make good points though.  The 3DS while less powerful than the PS Vita is still no slouch in terms of pumping out beautiful visuals.  The screen size for the original 3DS makes a 3D 480p screen unnecessary (but they should have increased the resolution for the XL).  In any case, the 3DS while being a  weight class below the PS Vita in terms of CPU, RAM, and GPU is still a great piece of tech for it's purpose of playing games.  Hey no one complained about how games look on the PSP a few years back and the 3DS is most definitely a notch or two above that system!!!