By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is the 3DS using the 2008 or 2010 model of the PICA200 GPU series?

Tagged games:

What model of the PICA200 series do you think is in the 3DS?

2008=Vertex Performence 4... 18 19.78%

2010 = Vertex Performence, the heck if I know 28 30.77%

See results 45 49.45%

Total:91
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well... the thing with companies like Warner Bros and many others is that when they are making games for handhelds, they dont really put the effort into them to take the full advantage of either hardware... So even though some games may look the same on both 3ds and Vita, I think its more cause a lack effort has been put on the vita version...

However when you look at games like Resident Evil Revelations on the 3ds with its console quality graphics... It really makes you wonder how good the hardware is inside compared to the vita

But can someone do/link a comparison between the 3ds and Vita and which one has better hardware

After 3 years of development for each of the 2 versions.

This was announce back in 2010: Batman 3DS (working title)

But yeah Resident Evil: Revelations is one of at least more then 12 games on the 3DS that's clearly showing more then 120 million polygons worse case scenario. I heard it compares to Uncharted: Golden Abyss real well, with Uncharted still looking better but not by that much.

The games I have listed in this thread diffenitely show off Polygon Count.

Theres free demos for games like Resident Evil & Metal Gear & Castlevania in the 3DS eShop.

The ARM11 is said to be like 1 GHz 2 core which is better then the ARM9 268 MHz 2 core. The Vita has AMD arm vortex 9 or something like that which is confirm to be 1 GHz 4 core.

The problem with the Vita CPU is that it's AMD, so an advantage in cores & clock speed & newer model doesn't seem to be enough to do anything against a way weaker & older "intel CPU" with less cores, because the "intel" CPU will still process so much more LOL. So AMD CPUs are known as the least quality CPUs in the industry, which is probably why they are the cheapest 3rd party CPUs to use.

Plus both Handhelds are underclock in CPU for battery life. So it would be interesting to find out how they both really run & operate, that's for sure. Maybe in 2 years from now we will have info on the web about how their clocked hardwares really compare to each other.

The only problem I see with the 3DS is that it's "Dev Kit" starts developers off with much more edgier graphicouthit developers need to round out. Plus the shadows on pre-install firmware look pixelated looking, but that gets fixed with a simple firmware update via Wii-FI connection to do the firmware update.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well... the thing with companies like Warner Bros and many others is that when they are making games for handhelds, they dont really put the effort into them to take the full advantage of either hardware... So even though some games may look the same on both 3ds and Vita, I think its more cause a lack effort has been put on the vita version...

However when you look at games like Resident Evil Revelations on the 3ds with its console quality graphics... It really makes you wonder how good the hardware is inside the 3ds  compared to the vita

But can someone do/link a comparison between the 3ds and Vita and which one has better hardware... I am cerious... I think the Vita does but lately there have been a few posts where the 3ds has better polygon count or something?

Oooh.

Posts from which user may I ask?

I have read post on other threads from a bunch of different users saying the 3DS does right around 120 million polygons.

But I have clearly been reading different post, since that's still below the Vita's 133 million, plus they also said that the Vita does 133 million polygons in their same post. So I have clearly been reading different post.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
i thought i heard it was the 2010 model, i could be wrong though.

I hope it's the 2010 model.

That would be out of this world.

Unless pica designed the GPU specifically for the 3DS, I highly doubt the 2010 model is in there, considering the 3DS released in 2010.

darkknightkryta said:
Unless pica designed the GPU specifically for the 3DS, I highly doubt the 2010 model is in there, considering the 3DS released in 2010.

The Nintendo 3DS was release in March 27 2011.

They added motion sensors to the final design in like October or Novmeber 2010.

Around the Network

How much money were they breaking even on when the 3DS when it came out at 250$?

I think its a modified 2008 model... need to do another tear down with the 2DS when it releases

Kaizar said:
darkknightkryta said:

The Nintendo 3DS was release in March 27 2011.

They added motion sensors to the final design in like October or Novmeber 2010.

Yes you are 100% correct.  Serves me right for just glancing at dates in Wikipedia.  Hmmm, does anyone know the general cost?  Bill of materials for the 3DS was around 120 I believe.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

How much money were they breaking even on when the 3DS when it came out at 250$?

I think its a modified 2008 model... need to do another tear down with the 2DS when it releases

Are you the one who posted that the 3DS has a 1.8 GHz 2-core CPU underclock at 800 MHz a core, with the GPU being 1 GHz underclock at 400 MHz, and the RAM being way higher then 300 MB for RAM, on Yahoo Answers?

LOL, but I am 100% serious about my question.

No, I dont use yahoo lol, Im not japanese.

Kaizar said:

And it's not 7 years old, the tech demo floating around on youtube is from 2006, but the 3DS is clearly not going to be using that model, when there is a 2010 & 2008 model. Even the model shown from 2008 that was more than twice as powerful. 2006 version could push 15.3 million polygons per second at 200mhz (400mhz max clock).

The one shown in 2008 could push 40.7 million polygons per second at half the rate, 100mhz. Clock speed is unimportant to say the least. Not that it matters though, because i'm not too impressed with Tegra anymore after seeing what the Pica200 can potentially do and DEFINITELY what the 3DS can do.

The 2008 model seems to be 600 MHz or so max clock frequency

While the 2010 model seems to be 1 GHz max clock

But what model do you think is used in the 3DS?

(models: 2006 & 2008 & 2010 & 2012)

And what do you think about everything else I've mention in the OP?

Can you provide some URLs for the 2008, 2010 and 2012 models of the Pica200?

Why aren't they to find on the dmprof-website?

http://www.dmprof.com/english/e_products/e_pica_200/

http://www.dmprof.com/e_news/e_press/372/